Opened in July 2013, this Boston vegan restaurant provides plant-inspired food and juices. Sample menu items include a root burger made with black beans patty, a Korean quinoa bowl, and an eggplant caprese sandwich. For brunch there are waffles and pancakes. Beverages include house-made basil lemonade and ice tea plus a list of fresh juices. Casual atmosphere with colorful art display. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Fusion, Juice bar, Take-out
487 Cambridge St
Allston, Massachusetts 02134
617-208-6091

Open Mon-Thur 11am-10pm, Fri 11am-11pm, Sat 9:30am-11pm, Sun 9:30am-10pm.

First Review by maggieag
veganamanda
veganamanda

Good food

4 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2014

Root is a small restaurant by the same owners as FoMu. I't s a nice place to go for lunch. The food is good, and the decor is cool. The location isn't that great, but its worth going a bit out of the way if you stop at FoMu too :)

Pros: Decor, Food
Cons: Location
Babette
Babette

Interesting

3 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2014

I only tried one thing, the Thai Peanut Salad Wrap, and I didn't like it much.

Still, the place is pleasant and I'm sure I could find food I would like in the menu.

Pros: Nice vibe, Friendly staff
futurefossils
futurefossils

So good!

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

It's a really great atmosphere, very easy to get to from the T. The food was delicious and the juices were reasonably priced. I really enjoyed everything I've tried there so far. The Root burger is definitely my favorite so far though!

BostonVegan
BostonVegan

Great vegan comfort food

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

Been there 3 times now. Everything I've had was great. The hard part is deciding what to get. This is filling food, not light, so when I want that feeling this is a good choice. I couldn't eat here every day, I'd weigh a ton.

I wanted something light on my last trip, so I had the warm kale salad. It was outstanding! And the cucumber mojito was refreshing.

The atmosphere is "sub shop", the area is college/young, plenty of people coming and going. The folks who work there are hip and friendly and provide good service.

This will be a regular stop for me.

Pros: Food, Service
Cons: Parking
Skunky66613
Skunky66613

Vegan For Everyone

4 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2013

Very yummy vegan food even non-vegans/vegetarians can love. The curried quinoa salad is delish as is the eggplant caprese burger. Their homemade ketchup is amazingly yummy. Their meals are filling and the staff is friendly. I'm hooked! :D

Pros: Yummy food, Friendly staff
Cons: Limited seating, Uppity vegan customers, Expensive juices

sglcklch
sglcklch

Not worth the calories

3 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2013

This place is fairly new and seems to have stellar reviews across the board, so I suggested it for dinner to my partner. Their food menu was simple - fries, hush puppies, a few different burgers, and a couple of salads. It was quite heavy on fried stuff. We felt like indulging ourselves a little and ordered the corn-jalapeño hush puppies, the root burger, and the po' boy to share.

The hush puppies were rather tough and bland. I don't think there was jalapeño in there at all. They were just OK dipped in the ketchup and garlic aioli they came with. (I wouldn't call that aioli though - aioli should be light and creamy; theirs was stiff, coarse and wasn't dippable. More like a vegan butter of sorts.)

PIty that the burgers weren't any better. The buns were too big, too thick, and chewy. They were all slathered with that same "aioli" stuff. The whole burgers were just bleh. The fried cauliflower in the po' boy and the black bean patty in the root burger were equally tasteless. I deliberately tried them on their own first - no flavor whatsoever. The fries were just fries, nothing special there.

I'm all for occasional indulgence, but not in food of such quality. However, the portions were huge, and not one item was over $10, so there's that.

Pros: huge portions
Cons: meh food
slithers
slithers

Great Brunch!

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

I've been to Root 3 times for brunch and have enjoyed each one. I've had the tofu scramble (twice) which has good flavoring and came with greens (in scramble) + nice home fries and a vegan biscuit. The tofu bites are very nice, although too many (in my opinion) for one or even two people, but great for a takeaway snack. The liege waffles are a nice firm texture (though not crisply) and the strawbery basil sauce and coconut creme was unique and delicious - see picture I uploaded for Root. I've also gotten the sweet potato quesadillas and hush puppies to go and enjoyed those also.

Although this place is small, I've so far never had a problem getting seated (nor have I ever seen it empty). The staff is really nice and portions are large. I wish they had more/different juice options (and bigger menu overall), but for a tiny sandwich shop, they have great options.

Pros: Great Food (especially brunch), Friendly Staff, Large Portions
Cons: Parking in Allston, Small place, Small menu
maggieag
maggieag

wonderful addition to Allston's vegan corner!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2013

As sad as I was (and still am!) to see Peace O' Pie leave, Root does an excellent job of continuing Allston's tradition of delicious vegan food. Owned by the same people who started Fomu (an entirely vegan ice creamery), Root does an excellent job of combining fresh ingredients and flavors into new and interesting menu items. I have had the eggplant caprese sandwhich, which was addictively crispy and scrumptious. I also have had the curried quinoa salad as a wrap, which also proved to be delicious. And don't forget to try one of their fresh juices! There aren't many tables for eating there, but I've never had a problem getting a seat. Overall, this is an amazing restaurant and I'm so excited to welcome it to the neighborhood!

Pros: delicious food, fresh ingredients, friendly staff
Cons: limited seating, no "custom juice" option

Dear Owner and Manager of Root: