Serves meat, veg options available. Offers 3 veggie dishes that are nicely prepared. Try the fried polenta. Price: Moderate more-less
Beer/Wine, Non-veg
Roderswaldweg 25 (heart of Baden's wine country)
Baden Baden, Germany
072-23-56-28

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by azur
azur
azur

Slightly disappointing

2 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

Weinstube Röderswald is in a nice location on a hill, surrounded by vineyards. Went there for lunch. Between us, we had all three vegetarian main courses they offer (Maismehlflädle - kind of like a corn pizza calzone / Semmelknödel - German bread dumplings with creamy mushroom sauce / Bandnudeln - tagliatelle with tomato-spinach-cream sauce). All three mains were, in my opinion, quite bland and greasy. The Maismehlfläde were made using deep frozen vegetables and were baked under a butter-cheese-topping using pre-grated Italian hard cheese of the cheap and bitter variety - certainly no Grana or Parmigiano. The Semmelknödel, which I normally quite like, were extremely bland and had a viscous texture - really hardly edible, and this was not just my personal opinion. The tagliatelle were probably the best of the three vegetarian mains, although the sauce was very heavy on the cream. All mains were sprinkled with dry frozen parsley, which I personally find unexcusable, as fresh parsley is really cheap and easy to cultivate, harvest and apply all year round.

The side salad for all three mains was a nice "old school" German Gasthaus salad, using a creamy dressing. A mix of fresh salads and canned vegetables.

All main courses were slightly less than 10 Euros, which for the Baden-Baden area is certainly not expensive, but also not cheap either.

This restaurant is vegetarian friendly in the sense that they offer those three vegetarian mains, but apart from that, expect to be surrounded by a lot of fish and meat of the (in my personal opinion) slightly disgusting kind. The "small snacks" menu is comprised almost entirely of sausage-, bacon- and aspic-based meals and the like. Except for the already mentioned side salad and a tomato salad, all salads include meat - which I personally find totally unnecessary even for omnivores.

All in all, Röderswald should be recommended for even thinking of catering to vegetarians, particularly since the Baden-Baden is notorious for the difficulties vegetarians (let's not even mention vegans) run into when trying to find a suitable meal.

But I would definitely not recommend going out of your way to eat there. It might be a better option to go to an Italian or an Indian restaurant in Baden-Baden. Also, the restaurant located inside the "Caracalla-Thermen" spa in Baden-Baden had tofu burgers and nice vegetarian salad options last time I went there - I'm not sure if you can eat there unless you pay entrance for the spa, though.

Pros: nice location, very friendly and courteous service
Cons: bland and greasy food, lots of meat and fish on the menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Roderswald: