Relocated from Brooklyn in Sept 2012, this cafe offers mostly raw food with a few lightly cooked dishes. Food is vegan except for honey where noted. On Wednesday $2 off all entrees, beer, wine, and sangria. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Raw, Organic, American, Peruvian, Take-out
171 Sullivan St (Houston St, in Greenwich Village, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10012
212-477-3777

Open Mon-Thur 4-10pm, Fri 4-11pm, Sat-Sun 12-11pm.

First Review by Z
ashfnm
ashfnm

Heavenly and Hearty

5 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2011

I ate in the beautiful back garden and enjoyed everything. I tried the Tacu Tacu, Tallereinas ala huancaina, a ginger smoothies and, my personal favorite, the mushroom ceviche.

Such fresh, flavorful food and incredibly filling. I can't wait to go back to NY to eat more Rockin' Raw!

Pros: Creative menu, Healthy, Charming garden
BrandiF
BrandiF

Love Love Love!

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

I was in NYC for a long weekend and Rockin' Raw was the first restaurant I went to. I was staying in the city, but the restaurant was so easy to get to (just three stops from Union Square on the L). The food was delicious, especially the parsnip apple soup, but the desserts were pretty much the best raw desserts I've ever had!!! They were so good that I came back to Rockin' Raw again before I left. My favorite part is that their desserts are not sweetened with agave, which I avoid, so I was able to have any of the desserts I wanted, which was a dream come true. I highly recommend this place and can't wait to be back in New York to go again! I also had the same waiter both times, who was wonderful and super helpful with the menu and making suggestions.

Pros: Desserts with no agave, Convenient location, Outdoor seating
pradipd
pradipd

A Gem of a Neighborhood Restaurant

4 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2011

This may not quite be a destination restaurant in your mind, but I would strongly recommend you make the trip to this excellent, intimate, original, creative restaurant. You will not be disappointed. A combination of Peruvian and vegan and raw and partly organic! Wow, that is just too much, even for NY! The menu has many starters and small plates and sides, so if you are a small group, you can try a number of items as I did. Everything was fresh, creative, flavorful and wholesome. They also have limited alcoholic items, and in particular the sangria is pretty good. The sole waitress was excellent, all smiles and informative. I went all the way from Jersey City, NJ, and it was worth every mile to drive out to this cute place in a charming neighborhood of BRooklyn.

Pros: Original, Healthy, Flavorful

Loulou
Loulou

Amazing nachos and yummy cakes

5 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2011

We went here twice on our trip to New York. It's a lovely small-ish restaurant which had live music (guitars) the first time we where there. There are lots of Peruvian dishes made raw. We had the nachos to start which where amazing and so much like the cooked version with melted cheese and sour cream. For mains we had the Tacu Tacu a Peruvian dish complete with 'fried egg' which we just had to try and a burrito. We where so impressed by the Nachos that we went back there on our last day in New York and had a portion each, then burger and pasta sat in the sunny back garden. Very friendly staff, amazing nachos and yummy yummy cakes!!

Pros: nachos & cake, nachos & cake, nachos & cake
grassfield
grassfield

Not too good

2 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

The decor is nice and the location is convenient but the food was hard to eat. We ordered the gumbo and the po boy and would not order again. It's also pricey for what it is. The food lacks the creativity of other raw places.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 24, 2011

Pros: location, ambiance
Cons: food, price
catzie
catzie

absolutely Amazing

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2010

Me and a friend came in this restaurant because we wanted to try something new in town. She is not vegan nor vegetarian, and even she liked the raw food meals. She had a vegetable pasta with raw tomato sauce and me the little raw pizza's with a lot of fresh vegetables toppings. It was amazing good and satisfying. Well done!

Pros: the food, the service, the deco
Cons: pricy, but that's raw food
soysass
soysass
  • raw

Rawesome!

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2010

Rapturous Bliss! My friend was in town (clearly the right part!) and after a hard day of bike polo playing (on his behalf) and berry noshing in Union Square(me) we decided to venture further into the hardened streets of Brooklyn to allow my pipe dreams to go to fruition. I've been dreaming of the day I would unite with this establishment. I could only imagine how much of the food people could see because of the somewhat crepuscular lighting inside. No one was outside due to the possible inclement weather, but the patio lured us with its idyllic and halcyon ambiance. The mosquitoes seem to enjoy raw food (us) :P They gave us a bottle of water and I'm certain it was filtered. It was greatly appreciated because we were rather dehydrated.
We wanted to order a milkshake but they all had agave in them and I don't consume any sweeteners. The waiter seemed slightly vexed by our inquiries. We got the King Oyster Mushroom Po' Boy Sandwich and the Rockin' Raw Burger Platter. The burger was phenomenal, it was like I was transported to dali's surreality. I was nearly levitating in bliss, the flavors possessed so much zest and zapped away the vapidity and insipid blandness of plain salad leaves. It was the physical manifestation of an orgasm, I swear it. An amalagation of love and lust. It came with nawlin rings and southern greens. My one gripe is that I asked if there were tomatoes in it. Not because I don't like them, but because I am rather allergic. Unfortunately, I think due to the agave questions, the waiter assumed it was based on preference. He left them off the burger, but I'm Pretty sure everything else in the dish had a tomato involved! The sandwich was alright, we were so much more in love with the burger though. Perhaps anything in comparison to it is a subpar mistress. We vowed to return for their brunch prix fix (can you say zucchini eggs and kale chips omg yum) but it remains a mere fantasy for now. ( I will come back for you, my darling!)I read that the ingredients are as organic and local as possible, so the price is reasonable, but it's great for a splurge! Delectable treat... stop reading, salivating, and go visit! :D

Pros: Delicious, Good Value
Kekeli
Kekeli

Vegan, Raw

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2009

I read that Rockin' Raw is Vegetarian. It is owerwhelmingly vegan and raw. The atmosphere is lovely, with mood lighting, art on the walls, candles, fresh flowers, and wine on the menu. A youthful, happy vibe can be felt throughout. This is definitely a place where you could go for a date. They also have reasonably priced lunch specials. Dishes are moderately priced with a rather eclectic menu. The owner and staff are friendly and available to answer questions/share information. The dishes and desserts are quite impressive and inventive. Fare of New Orleans and Peru are highlighted here. Definitely worth the hike out to Williamsburg for good, raw fare.

Pros: Inventive menu, Close to Subway, Atmosphere
Cons: Portions could be larger
Z
Z
  • raw

Ambiance Nice Food So So

3 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2009

In from DC, visited Rockin' Raw. Decor, service is great. Food is a little over priced for portion size. Purchased Louisiana Gumbo -so, so would not recommend, Lasagna -have had better raw lasagna for less, Banana Bread -- not worth the price, Lucuma Cheesecake --rich has potential. If you want ambiance and atmosphere great place. If you want a pleasing meal for the price you will pay-- not that great.

Pros: ambiance, decor, friendly staff
Cons: food not up to par

Dear Owner and Manager of Rockin' Raw: