Roanoke Natural Foods Co-op

Member-owned cooperative market stocking an array of natural foods and products, fresh fruits and vegetables, beer and wine, grocery, and more. Has a deli. more-less
1319 Grandin Rd SW
Roanoke, Virginia 24015
540-343-5652

Open Mon-Sat 8am-8pm (deli 10-4), Sun 12-6pm (deli 12-4).

First Review by dirtandskirts
jrm212
jrm212

awesome store / deli!

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2011

stopped by this place while on a road trip, perfect spot for picking up travel foods, plus dinner. the indian in town (which has some vegan options) sounded okay, but when i called the other places listed on "happy cow", they sounded scarce on vegan dinner options. the co-op's cafe was closed at night but they had lots of packaged deli foods for purchase. all that we tried were good. and mmmm, the raw dessert made by blossom (made locally), i wanted to return there to buy another of these!

Pros: easy to find / park, nice selection, good value
Cons: would've loved a juice (closed at night)
Mindy S
Mindy S

A great store

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2011

I always enjoy going to the Co-op in Roanoke. It's the only place in town that I can find hard to locate items for some of my vegan/vegetarian recipes. Their produce section, while small, is actually very well stocked with excellent produce and rare items, such as daikon, which until about a year ago, I hadn't even heard of.

You should take some time and just wander up and down the aisles, as there are too many great products, organic brands, locally baked bread, and bulk bins to buy everything that looks good in just one visit. It's true that the products aren't cheap, but they are very high in quality and more earth-friendly than some mainstream brands.

The employees are all casual and helpful. Every time I pass an employee they ask if there's anything they can help me find. So overall, I highly recommend the co-op, stop by sometime just to see what you think.

Pros: organic, friendly staff, variety
Cons: limited parking
dirtandskirts
dirtandskirts

if only places like this were everywhere

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2007

What a bummer that I only got to experience Roanoke Co-op passing through on a cross-country road trip! The first two days' food had consisted of almonds, salty mixed nuts, tea, and dry cereal; already I was losing it. Walking into RNF was like walking into an oasis.

I used to work in a large independent natural foods store, and since then *nothing* has matched my hopes. I feel like I finally found something that lives up to my expectations (though I do miss having a bulk fridge). They have a stellar bulk section, a wonderful selection of vegan grab&go stuff (made by them and outside companies; they've got plenty of non-veg options too -- my dad raved about his chicken wrap), and a deli that looked appealing but had closed at 4 (would have loved to try their chili, but it was 7:30). My dad pointed out no less than four kinds of vegan baked goods (cookies, brownie, and something apple-y with frosting) in the darkened deli case, and we commisserated about them being unavailable. A nearby employee overheard us and offered to get us whatever we wanted out of there. The oatmeal raisin cookie was marvelous, even to Dad the Omni; the rest is being saved. The deli apparently has free wi-fi, too!

In a perfect world their produce section would have been a little bigger, but they had a great selection and what they did have was beautiful. All in all, the trip was a total treat.

Pros: friendly, helpful staff, fantastic selection, independent, and smells like co-op :)
Cons: deli closes fairly early

Dear Owner and Manager of Roanoke Natural Foods Co-op: