Serves internationally inspired vegetarian and vegan food, with organic and locally sourced specials always available. Run by (but not just for) vegetarians, all food is prepared daily on the premises. Ask about special diets. Open Tue-Sun 11am-late. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out
The St, Trowse (White Horse Ln)
Norwich, England NR14 8AH
01603-622448
  • Wheelchair accessible

First Review by JG555
claire lille
claire lille

Great place

Posted on 09 / 13 / 2014

We have been to The River Green a few times and love it. The staff young and lively, food lovely and the place clean, outside is very pretty. Looking forward to our next visit

Pros: Vegan food, Close to town centre, Great food
Mike42
Mike42
  • fruitarian

waiting

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2014

Great food 10/10 @rivergreencafe, shame it was too busy to leave due to waiting for the bill: total = 6/10
Logged onto HappyCow while waiting for the bill

Pros: good selection
Cons: waiting to pay!
jamesontheroad
jamesontheroad

Bright, modern take on vegetarian dining

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

The River Green Café is a dependable veggie favourite of ours in Norwich. It's most notable for being a bright, clean and airy place - quite unlike the depressingly common 'organic' aesthetic of most vegetarian eateries. The restaurant overlooks Trowse green, with a couple of outside tables which are gorgeous on a sunny day.

The menu is broad, and servings are similarly large. I rarely have the appetite for more than the 'starter' size of the salads, for instance.

Personal favourites include the roasted halloumi salad (on the fine dining menu) and the mushroom/mozarella/sun-dried tomato burger (on the daytime 'easy eating' menu).

The only downside for us, as residents of Norwich, is the suburban location. It's just slightly too far to walk from the city centre. There's some free parking on surrounding streets (do not park in the pub car park) and Anglian Bus routes 87 (Norwich/Poringland) and 88 (Norwich/Bungay/Halesworth/Southwold) stop outside.

Pros: Bright, modern, clean dining room, Large portion sizes, Attentive staff
Cons: Suburban: hefty walk from city centre

oliverdunk
oliverdunk

Very bad.

Posted on 06 / 13 / 2013

Was so very unhappy with meal. Big lover of mexican food so had the enchilada. Sauce was toxic and filling was no better. Displayed my unhappiness to the manager and she gave me a refund. This is not something I would usually do, but here it was quite pricey and I did not feel that the meal was worth the money.
Rest of staff were v. unpleasant and tried to charge us for drinks we did not drink. When we brought this problem up they tried to accuse us of lying. This was ridiculous as the empty glasses were on the table (as they hadn't been taken away the whole time we were there!!!)

WILL NOT BE RETURNING...
Does not deserve two stars but I am unable to put lower

Pros: Doors were left wide open - easy escape
Cons: SERVICE, FOOD, VIBE OF THE RESTAURANT
petential
petential

Fantastic

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2012

This is the sort of imaginative vegetarian that could convert anyone and so much more pleasurable than the general run of tasteless, funless "wholefood" cafes. Lovely surroundings and helpful staff.

Pros: imaginative, tremendous, treaty
Cons: touch expensive
Guest
Guest

Awesome restaurant!

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2011

I have eaten here on several occasions, lunch and dinner and I really love it. There are so many options for veggies and vegans you will be spoilt for choice! The omnivores I have taken there have all commented how great it is too. My only complaint is that the portions are too big-I can never finish a meal!!!! The staff are very knowledgeable, on my last visit I witnessed a member of staff assisting a wheat intolerant customer with suitable options, I could see they were satisfied with her recommendations. Not sure why people complain about the location-its virtually in Norwich and easily reached by cycle from the city centre or by car from anywhere! The location is lovely, make sure you book the snug for bigger groups, its great for family occasions sitting around the circular table!

Pros: Excellent food, Knowledgable staff, Great location
Cons: mahoosive portions!
SarahGilvey
SarahGilvey
  • non-vegetarian

Fantastic

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2011

Visited River Green Cafe last night and it is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review. I am not vegetarian and went with vegetarian friend. I enjoyed my meal soooo much - the mushroom wellington was really delicious. The staff were friendly and knew lots about the menu. Will definitely be going back :O)

Pros: menu, staff
runfatboyrun71
runfatboyrun71
  • non-vegetarian

Great restaurant tasty food

Posted on 12 / 12 / 2011

I have been to the River Green Cafe a number of times and each time have had a great evening and a lovely meal. There's a great atmosphere at the restaurant and its in a superb location. Would highly recommend and I'm not even a veggie! Good selection of bottled real ales, a must for any beer drinker.

Pros: exellent food, friendly staff, good sized portions
Lynn Howe
Lynn Howe

It's OK.

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2011

The location and the surroundings are great. The staff are always friendly but not over attentive. I want to love it. I want to say it's the best vegan night out I've ever had. But the food is only OK. It's pricey for what it is. First time I went I had the salad plate. For around £8 I got an ordinary and not over generous plate of leaves and bits. For that kind of money, I want the best selection of veg, fruits, proteins and carbs available. Been a couple of times since and very pleasant on both occasions, but the food is just not great. Dry burgers, frozen chips .... I know people who love it, but I think the prices are too high for ordinary food.

Pros: Location, Interior Decor, Range of dishes
Cons: Price of some items
Purple Cobwebs
Purple Cobwebs

Bit of a disapointment

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

Having read the reviews on here, we were very excited at the prospect of a visit to River Green.
First impressions were good, with friendly staff and a well presented restaurant.

We both ordered the Red lentil, chestnut & cider pate which was clearly marked as vegan. However, when it turned up it was served with bread and non vegan butter! I expect this sort of slip up in an omni restaurant, but not in a vegetarian restaurant. The pate itself was ok, but not exactly inspiring.

For our mains, I chose the River Green Salad and my partner chose the African sweet potato stew.
The salad is described as "A selection of sprouted seeds, seasonal fruit and nots, served on a bed of baby leaves etc...." When it turned up I was surprised to see that there were no sprouted seeds on the salad. On querying this I was told that they'd not been able to get any for quite a while! Surely when this is the first ingredient listed in the dish, if they are out of it they should warn you when you order and offer an alternative? Without the sprouted seeds the salad was bland and no better than a salad you would be served in an omni pub.
My partners Stew was very potato heavy. It seemed to have been filled out with the cheapest ingredient.

All things considered, it's not somewhere we would choose to revisit.

Pros: Friendly staff, Nice location, Well presented restaurant
Cons: Bland uninspired food, lack of attention to detail
beavers
beavers

Top qualify vegetarian restaurant

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2011

It is worth going out of your way to visit this place, which is as good as any vegetarian place we've ever found in the UK. It's in a lovely, peaceful spot in the middle of the village of Trowse, on the outskirts of Norwich; right by a large village green equipped with all sorts of attractions for younger children (including an extraordinary audio guide to traditional games they might try to play!). It's a lovely airy, roomy restaurant with nice, bright, modern decor and a relaxing atmosphere. Most importantly of all, however, is that it has an extensive and imaginative, all-vegetarian menu with plenty of vegan options. What a lovely change from the norm that the biggest challenge was to decide what to pick. We went for two meals from the specials board - I had a warming mixed bean and pasta stew with garlic bread, my wife had pasta shells stuffed with a very tasty mushroom and hazelnut filling, served with two different kinds of bread. Also plenty of sweet options - I had summer pudding with ice cream with a raspberry sauce; Julie had chocolate torte with fresh raspberries and blueberries and a raspberry coulis and cream! We desperately wanted to lick the plates! They have a loyalty card which we hope to make use of. Our only worry is whether enough people will support it. Although very close to Norwich and even closer to Whittlingham Country Park, all but Trowse residents would have to make a special effort to get there as the village is effectively on a dead-end road. Which means they'd have to know it was there in the first place. So spread the word!

Pros: Extensive menu, Quality of food, Comfort
Cons: No tit-bits with coffee, Out of the way
AJW
AJW

Superb!!!

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2011

Found out that this little gem of a place had opened up purely by accident and boy am I glad I did.
The location is great 5 mins drive out of the city(I have always loved Trowse, such a pretty village).
The building looks as attractive outside as it does inside, Wonderful relaxing decor.
There were three of us in the party, two Vegans and an omni
. I had the lental and cider pate which was great, My partner had the olives to start and these were in a fantastic dressing, Our omni friend opted for the goats cheese bruschetta and said it was great.
Mains were perfect portions, We had the river green burger, thai yellow curry and the mushroom wellington, all must have been delicious the plates were almost licked clean!!!
Deserts out of this world, the vegan dark chocolate and raspberry torte was out of this world. Our omni friend chose the brownies.
All dishes were presented beautifully and as I said before
the portions were more than ample.
All in all great value incredibly tasty food Served in great surrounding by wonderful staff.
Expect to pay around £20-25 per head with coffees(more if you have several drinks).
Well done river green cafe, I wish you all the best with your venture and WILL be visiting you again

Pros: Beautiful food, ovely location, Proper vegan dishes
Cons: Not just around the corner!!
Vegan Jonathan
Vegan Jonathan

Great to have a new Norfolk veggie eatery

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2011

Delighted to welcome a new veggie venue to Norfolk, the River Green Cafe is a delight! We shared a bowl of olives with breads and dips as a starter which was delicious and excellent value. I had a huge vegan burger that came with a home made salsa and a bowl of chunky coated chips and it was filling and delicious. Mrs Vegan Jonathan had a mushroom wellington. I spoke to Jan (the owner) after the meal, she was charming and interested in our views. She is developing new menu ideas, starting small to establish the staff and success and build from there. She also has some dishes that are available to take away for and from the freezer. Nice idea.
The place has a really nice ambience, good use of plants and furnishings and very smart with excellent place settings etc

Pros: Vegan in Norwich!, High Quality, Delicious food
Cons: Street parking, Add VAT to prices shown
anna.rolek
anna.rolek

You won't regret it.

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2011

Just so wonderful this restaurant. I had the african stew, which my god, just blew my mind. It's the perfect place if you have a date, or if life is getting you down and you just want some good food and a relaxed atmosphere. The staff and management are really wonderful people as well, so helpful and the view from the patio is into the pretty park. In the end, I think I think it just made my trip to Norwich just so much better.

JoeHill
JoeHill

River Green Rocks!

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2011

From the eyes of a long term Vegetarian it is easy to see this is what the city of Norwich needed. From the charismatic Green man to the organic wines, the excellent range of vegan and vege dishes to the relaxed ambience of it all, this restaurant satisfies all the senses!

Pros: all the food, all the staff, very spacious
Cons: parking
JanineKC
JanineKC

River Green Cafe

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2011

I had been looing forward to this restaurant opening since I heard about it via the Veggie Red Lion mailing list, so I booked a table for it's opening week.

It certainly did not disappoint. The staff were friendly and helpful, there was a great menu to choose from and the food itself was great. A starter was shared between two of us, then we had a main course each. The portions were very generous. Sadly there was no room for pudding (never a decision a make lightly!) even though there were several I would have chosen between. My partner is vegan and he was very happy with the choices suitable for his dietary needs too. Will definitely go again and will definitely recommend to others. I hope to try the day time cafe menu soon too.

Pros: excellent food, helpful, friendly staff, varied menu
Cons: lack of parking
Trevor
Trevor

Vegetarian delight

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

Had a meal at River Green last week and we were so impressed we have booked again for tonight. The decor is modern and comfortable. The staff are very welcoming, helpful and knowledgeable regarding the meals. The quality of the food was superb, tasted delicious and the portions huge - it was the best blueberry sorbet that I have ever had! There is a good range of organic beers which I thoroughly enjoyed sampling. I like the ethos of sourcing local produce. The location is only a few minutes walk from the beautiful Whitlingham Park Lakes where it is great to walk around before or after a meal.

Pros: High quality food, Excellent menu, Friendly knowlegable staff
Cons: Not open Mondays
JG555
JG555

Fab new veggie haven

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

Excellent eating place just recently opened. Thoroughly recommend a visit. Food is healthy, tasty and lovingly prepared. Just what Norwich needs!!! :-)

Pros: Great surroundings, Fab food, No meat on menu

Dear Owner and Manager of River Green Cafe: