Coffeehouse serves fair trade coffee, smoothies, and other hot and cold beverages; soy and rice milk available for extra charge. Specialty is natural non-dairy fruit smoothies made with hemp nut. Also light breakfast foods, sandwiches, and salads. Live music on weekends. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Take-out
1301 Locust St Ste D (Grand)
Des Moines, Iowa 50309

MacRog
MacRog

Cozy retreat

Posted on 01 / 18 / 2014

I stopped in for lunch. I had the spinach/mushroom quiche and hot tea. Both were very good and the price was decent. The staff were very helpful and knowledgeable of their products. Looking at the rest of the menu they had a nice selection of sandwiches, salads, drinks, and desserts.
Very relaxing environment, soothing music playing and conducive for reading which I usually do over lunch.

Pros: Excellent Food/Value, Helpful/Friendly Staff, Relaxing
mVEGanliew
mVEGanliew

Awesome!

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

This is a wonderful cafe. I had the vegetable hummus sandwich- it was to die for! Absolutely delicious. My boyfriend got the bean wrap, which was also very good.

heidibelle
heidibelle

Kitchen closes earlier than the hours of operation

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2012

As we were passing through Iowa, we were excited to drive 25 minutes out of our way to a vegan friendly location only to find their kitchen closes 3 hours before the actual closing time. That was a bummer. It's not posted on their website.

Pros: Friendly staff
Cons: Hours are deceptive

veghead11
veghead11

What more could you ask for?

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

1) Great vegetarian food for a reasonable price. My favs are The Jess (delicious four cheese melt on grileed foccacia with articokes, serrano peppers and coleslaw), the grilled hummus sandwich and the spicy black bean wrap(this wrap is so satisfying you will question if there is meat in it!)
2) The coffee is amazing. Ritual's house blend is so delicious that if you close your eyes you might think you are in Europe. The richness and smoothness of this wonderfully strong roast keeps me coming back!
3) Friendly Service. Smiles, friendliness and kindness. One of the barista's was even giving away origami cranes that she had folded..for free! This place invokes a peace and warmth that is unique. Thank you Ritual Cafe!
4) LGBT Friendly. In today's climate it is important to me to feel safe and give money to establishments that support me. I could immediately tell when I stepped in this cafet I was supported. You won't find any discrimination or judgement here. This home away from home will be my third living room from now on.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Great Food, Atmosphere
Marxist Vegan
Marxist Vegan

An Alright Place

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2010

I stopped here with some friends because it was the only place in the area that was exclusively vegetarian. "Veg-friendly" is only a last resort for me. The sandwiches were okay and the people were pretty friendly. We played chess outside on a beautiful spring day while eating our food. I believe it was a little overpriced but what other choice do I have in Iowa?

Pros: Vegetarian, Friendly Staff
Cons: Price, Uninspired Food
khp
khp

Yum!

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2009

stopped here last night. searched online for a veggie friendly place to eat. sad to hear that some of the veggie sandwiches they had on their online menu are no longer offered, but the grilled vegetable panini was great!

Pros: all veg menu
Cons: menu is reduced from their website
kindlizard
kindlizard

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2008

These folks are great. We were pasing through on a day when there was a fair going on outside so there was an abbreviated menu. Being Vegan travelers, they oh so kindly opened up their entire menu to us so we could eat. The hummus foccacia was amazing!!! The coffee was great. The people were the best.

Thanks y'all

Pros: Food , Staff , clean and open space, cool too
  • kindlizard kindlizard

best place in iowa and middle of the country

thomastj80
thomastj80

A Travelers Haven

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2008

I travel for work quite frequently and am ecstatic to find a restaurant that is vegan friendly, as I am sure many of you know it is not an easy task. This place is great! They staff is great, the restaurant is vegan friendly and has a nice atmosphere, and the food is pretty good. Definitely stop in during your next visit to Des Moines!

solaced1
solaced1

Cute, Quaint, and Bright

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2008

We stopped here on a road trip. I wished that they had more vegan options, but the sandwich they offered was phenomenal! They had an excellent tea selection, and the staff was very friendly. I don't know if I'll ever be back in Des Moines, but if I am, I will definitely return.

Pros: wonderful tea, friendly people, excellent food
Amy916
Amy916

Fantastic

Posted on 11 / 19 / 2006

I love this place. They have a great hummus panini and soy latte. The staff is really friendly and the atmosphere is laid back. I would eat there every day for lunch if I could afford it. To top it off it is woman owned and queer friendly.

Pros: Vegan options on menu, Woman owned, Excellent food/beverages

Dear Owner and Manager of Ritual Cafe: