Ristorante Taverna Vegetariana

The specialties of the tavern mainly consist of traditional Italian vegetarian cuisine with many vegan options. Oven cooked (never fried). Pasta and sweets are made-in-house. Non-smoking. A 15 minute walk from the Vatican. May order drinks around 7:30pm but the chef does not arrive until 7:40pm. Previously named Taverna Vegetariana L'insalatiera. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Italian, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Via Trionfale 94 (15 minutes walk from Vatican)
Rome, Italy
06-39742975

Open Mon-Sat 12.00-15.30 and 19.00-24.00, closed Sun.

First Review by drwiz
Soybean
Soybean

Great experience.

5 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

I went here with a local and on her advice sampled vegan interpretations of Italian food. I found all the dishes delicious, very well balanced flavours and really perfectly prepared. The range was decent for vegans (at a guess, about 40% overall of the dishes are vegan), everything else is vegetarian. While none of the dishes were totally amazing, they were great and essentially flawless meals.

The portions were very generous for such a well prepared meal, we only had an entrée and one main - making it through all four courses (entrée, two mains and dessert) seems like it would be an endurance event.

In total both mains and entrees cost us 20 euro, which for the quality of the meal and the service I rate as very reasonable.

I'll go back here again next time I'm in Rome.

Pros: Great meals., Great service., Appropriate price.
Cons: None.
Vegan Monkey
Vegan Monkey

Tasty!

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2013

I was there after my visit in Vatican City. I was very hungry so I was happy when I found that place.
Food (vegan Focaccia Napoletana) was very tasty, the price wasn't too high. Waiter was nice and helpfull but he didn't want to smile (I tried really hard to make him smile but no effect).

Pros: good price, tasty food
jimmymello
jimmymello

Very good food!!

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

Very good food!
The place is good, the service is good enough. It seems a restaurant run by the family, this can be considered a good point, but it can also be a little bit unpleasant sometimes. I've been there as it had just been opened, after a while the family started to arrive, and transformed the place into their own house, I felt out of place, that is, in their place. So I just fished my meal, asked the bill and went away.
But in general lines, I can recommend this restaurant, specially if you are in Prati, that is, close to Vatican (15 minutes walking).
One important note about Rome and Vegetarians: if you like pasta, pizza and Panini, it is not necessary a vegetarian Restaurants, because all of them will provide you a great food without meat.

Pros: The distance, The food, The price
Cons: The service , The atmosphere
promwall
promwall

Loved it!

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

Lunch after visiting the Vatican Museum. Halfway between two Metro stops. Two of us shared the Insalata Grece, Antipasto Rustica and Malazena e Patatas. Every dish was fresh and delicious. The waitress spoke some English but it was fun to order off the menu reading the Italian like I knew what I was doing. The restaurant is warm and inviting and the waitress and owner were friendly. The Taverna closed at 3:15 on the day we were there.

Pros: fesh and delicious food, lovely ambience, friendly Italians!
Cons: none
robguz
robguz

Great tastes, interesting dishes.

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

We ended up going to this place for dinner when another was closed and it ended up being a real treat. Everything was good and the tastes were unique. The standout dish was a serving of whole oats with vegetables. I thought it would be odd because I'd never had oats used like rice, but I loved it. The dishes seemed to be authentic Italian dishes that just happened to be or could be modified to be vegan. The portions were good and prices reasonable. Our waiter spoke english and the menu was in English. I wish I had something like this where I lived! Lots of vegan options on the menu and good wine by the glass choices. This was maybe a 10 or less minute walk from the Vatican or the closest Metro.

Pros: Interesting Italian dishes, Unique tastes

JuliaEliseMunroe
JuliaEliseMunroe

great

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2012

We have been twice, partially because we're staying so close by but mainly cause we enjoyed it so much! I had the tofu pizzaiola which was a perfect match between a very flavoursome sauce and the mild tofu, and then the seitan which was just awesome, plenty of veg and couldn't pick out the flavours specifically but warm and homely. Perfectly filling and tasty. My boyfriend had the parmesan aubergine and the tortellini. He loved both but the pasta was recommended by the waiter. A surprise that it came cold but he was raving it! So if you can't choose feel free to put your trust in the waiter. Good English and very accommodating.

Pros: tasty, helpful staff, air con inside but also outside seating
dkinjer
dkinjer

Good vegan options

4 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2012

The vegan options here are clearly marked. I ate a superb soup and a seitan dish. The seitan was the best I ever had. So fluffy! The sauce it was in was very tasty. My companion had a tofu dish, which we thought would be some kind of tofu pizza, but turned out to be tofu with tasty tomato sauce on top. It was tasty enough. He also had the Bruschettine vari gust, which was tasty, but nothing really special. It is toasted Italian bread with some toppings, like olive spread.
The service was very slow.
Overall, the food was very good and it was nice to be able to eat vegan Italian food rather than the standard fare found in most veggie/vegan restaurants (grains with beans, stews, veggie-burgers, etc. or Indian food).

Pros: nice atmosphere, excellent food, vegan options clearly marked
Cons: slow service
kimward8
kimward8

Not open

2 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2010

I tried to go here in August at 3:00pm, as they are listed as being open until 3:30pm, but they were closed.

Jeffrey_Monica
Jeffrey_Monica

review August 08

3 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2008

We took a taxi to this restaurant for lunch since it was quite far from our hotel. Note that it is on the West side of the river. The area is interesting and upscale.

The staff did not speak any English whatsoever so when the server brought us a salad plate we had not ordered, we assumed that it was a free sample. It was a combination of fresh orange pieces with raw onion and olive oil. This is not a combination I would have expected to work but I liked it. My wife did not care for it. The vegetarian soup was good but quite salty. Other dishes we ordered were also oversalted for our taste but they were prepared well.

When we received the bill, the salad was listed and charged. Perhaps it was a language issue.

Pros: good veg selection
Cons: salad served that we had not ordered, very slow service
drwiz
drwiz

Excellent choice!

4 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2008

A real "neighborhood" restaurant. Small and cozy with friendly staff and generous, well prepared foods. Wide selection of vegetarian and vegan foods in generous portions. Terrific use of seasoning and solid presentation. About 1/2 to 2/3 of the price of the "upscale" vegetarian restaurants. I would rate it a 5 out of 5, but for some reason the review box below will only let me select a maximum of 4!!??!! Overall, my #1 choice for vegan in Rome. Ask for Marco, he was a great waiter!

Pros: value, selection, staff
Cons: none!
Guest
Guest

Good Value

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2007

Just back from Rome and had lunch here once. Good selection although not 100% veggie.

Nice staff but they only speak Italian, the menu is colour coded so you should be able to find your needs easily. The salads are huge compared to anywhere we visited. We arrived 25 minutes before opening, but the staff let us inside to look over the menu, they were very nice.

I suggest you go visit the vatican are in the morning and go here for lunch, as its location is a bit off the beaten track(15 minutes walk from Vatican).

Pros: Good Food, Nice Staff, Good Value
Cons: Location

Dear Owner and Manager of Ristorante Taverna Vegetariana: