Serves meat, veg options available. Small, cozy place right off Highway 101. Large tea menu, a couple vegetarian suitable choices - vegans to specify. The veg items are less expensive than the meats. Price: Expensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, Non-veg
92 Rorvik St
Wheeler, Oregon 97147
503-368-3990

Call for hours - tell us

• Cash only

First Review by leaf_eater
leaf_eater
leaf_eater

Coastal Find

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2013

As vegan travelers know, the Oregon coast can be disappointing for vegan dining out options so I was pleasantly surprised when a friend suggested we try the Rising Sun Cafe in Wheeler. The very friendly person we asked about vegan options said the rice noodle dishes (there were 3) were vegan by default and meat and/or dairy could be left off of a few other pasta dishes. She said "we just need to let chef know". I chose the Red curry rice noodles and enjoyed it very much. It was a nice sized portion, with a perfect hint of spicy heat to it, it topped with a heap of veggies including green beans and snap peas that made it seem a bit more substantial. They have an extensive tea and spirits menu but we stuck to ice water which was plentiful and tasteless like good water should be. My friend had a non-veg sandwich that came with a nice big salad and some tasty looking fried potatoes (I didn't try them as I wasn't sure if they were vegan or not). The waitress called me "my vegan friend" when serving our table which I thought was very sweet of her.

Pros: Friendly, Right off Hwy 101, Fresh and tasty food
Cons: Limited vegan choices, Only a few tables

Dear Owner and Manager of Rising Star Cafe: