Vegetarian restaurant serving meals made with local and organic ingredients. Offers beers on tap. Opened in summer 2013. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, American, International, Beer/Wine

teal_ocean
teal_ocean

Delightful and Amazing

Posted on 02 / 15 / 2015

We made the long haul up to Burlington to check out Revolution Kitchen. It was well worth it. We read all these postings and see the major mixed reviews. My best guess could only tell me that people that were "hungry" after leaving or thought the food was average must not be vegan, over-eat or must not have taste buds. I was just starting a cold so without even feeling well and with a stuffed nose the food was still flavorful and perfection. We got the nachos, tempeh tacos and mushroom ravioli. Each was great. You can tell when the chef actually eats and enjoys the food. The service was top notch and the pace was packed at 9 pm. Burlington has had veg restaurants before ( I grew up here and know of 3 that didn't make it) but this place is special. It's full of caring, charismatic people and truly delectable food. Don't listen to the haters. I left full, happy and already making a plan to make the long trek again!

Pros: Great service, clean space, So many vegan choices
Tranaya
Tranaya

Pretty good but expensive

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2014

A friend brought us here. He works in Burlington and is thrilled to have a high end veg restaurant here.

When I looked at the menu, I was shocked. $8-9 for a starter and $17-18 for a main course. Our friend assured us it was worth the price.

Our friend almost always orders the curry. My husband and I shared a veggie burger and the mushroom ravioli (the type of ravioli changes daily). While the fresh rolls looked lovely, I couldn't bring myself to order one at that price.

The veggie burger was good, though the accompanying sweet potato fries could have been crisper. Worth $14? Not even close. I tried my friend's curry: it was ordinary at best. I'd had a much better curry at a Thai restaurant the day before.

The highlight was the ravioli. Perfectly cooked pasta with a nice mushroom filling. The sauce was fine (I got the vegan version) but was a bit heavy on the garlic and light on the sage.

We didn't get dessert. Our friend loves the banana cream pie, but they didn't have a vegan version that night so we skipped it.

My husband and I are both pretty big eaters. We spent $40 (with tip), for a burger and one entree, and both left hungry. I'm glad I tried it, and glad there's a restaurant of this type, but for me it wasn't worth the price.

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, Friendly
Cons: Expensive
aabuck
aabuck

LOVED this place

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

Everything both my husband and I got here was awesome. Started with vietnamese style rolls with a spicy peanut sauce, got a kale salad with cranberries and housemade cashew cheese and got a hot pot for the main dish. The kale salad usually has cheese it in but when I asked for no cheese, they offered to just substitute their housemade cashew cheese which was nice and very tasty. Everything was super flavorful and fresh, beautifully presented and just really good.

Another reviewer commented that there wasn't much in the way of protein and I don't think that the menu that I saw reflects that- the menu is small but there were several main dishes that had seitan and/or tofu in the them. Also got the devils food cake for dessert (sadly, the pies aren't vegan, which is a bummer because the servers were talking up the banana cream pie!) which was great, really fluffy icing and moist cake. The service was good- very friendly and attentive, and I liked the atmosphere too. It is upscale but not super expensive. I will definitely go back here the next time I'm in Burlington.

73Iron
73Iron

Expensive

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2014

Their Menue seems to be comprised of side dishes or starters. Very little in the way of protein. And not much in the way of original vegan or vegetarian fair. Most of there Menue is just the side dishes vegans can get at any other restaurant in town, but for twice the price.

jenly
jenly

Welcome addition . . . .

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

RK can be a little difficult to find--if you ask a local, ask for directions to the well-known "Daily Planet" since RK is right next door.

Onto the food . . . it was good and I am glad we made the trip. The menu changes often. We had five or six appetizers and five or six entrees to choose from. We ordered the "nachos" and had to order another plate as everyone was fighting over them. Black beans on a bed of lettuce surrounded by five or six pan fried wontons filled with guacamole. I had read here about the tacos and wanted to try them, so we also ordered them as an appetizer. Tasty, but not mind blowing, and I have to agree with the person who complained about the portion size. If those tacos were your entree there is a very good chance you could leave hungry.

We also ordered the chickpea sweet potato soup, the Korean hot pot and several orders of the seitan piccata. All of these were fine, but I think when a veg restaurant puts seitan piccata on the menu they are inviting comparison with some of the very well known restaurants that also serve that dish. So although we were happy to encounter seitan anything in Burlington, it was not nearly as good as the piccata dishes served at the Candles or Blossom or, quite frankly, the one I make at home. The chickpea sweet potato soup was fine but a bit watery and the Korean hot pot was sort of a miss, although I am sure some people would enjoy it.

For the desserts, most of their desserts are dairy affairs. We ordered some of the dairy cakes plus their famous banana cream pie. Of vegan desserts, that night they had a special vegan banana cream pie which we also ordered. The dairy desserts were all really good, but the vegan banana cream pie had the taste and texture of a congealed smoothie. They also had a vegan fruit/nut torte of sorts on the menu which we did not order.

There is no complimentary bread basket or anything like that offered. It is possible for regular people, not just gluttons, to leave hungry. The prices are steep and the portions are modest to small and even though I ordered a lot of dishes, I was still a bit shocked at the bill. Quality food is expensive, but I think they need to up their game if they want to charge the prices they do. If all the dishes had been fantastic I would have felt fine, but it was only "pretty good" and I could not suppress tiny ripples of resentment as I searched for my credit card.

But I am glad Burlington has a veg restaurant.

Pros: friendly service, lovely decor, tofu and seitan menu choices
Cons: need better vegan desserts, steep prices for small portions, food is good but not great
kozmikarl
kozmikarl

fantastic, as in dream-come-true

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2013

Outstanding in every regard: fabulous flavors beautifully presented by skillful, knowledgeable servers. Revolution Kitchen is absolutely top-drawer. It's fancier and more expensive than I prefer for every day, but for a special treat you can't do better.
And let me add: the menu is extensive, but from the several dishes I tried it seems safe to predict every item is carefully designed with complex, subtle and often exquisite flavor combinations. Many are extremely rich. Small portions are therefore not only appropriate but necessary. When the first bite knocks your socks off, 40 more of the same can only ruin the effect. The reviewer complaining because he didn't order enough should head over to Winooski for spaghetti at Papa Frank's. If the goal is to stop being hungry cheaply, that's the place. Revolution Kitchen satisfies different desires.

Pros: elegant presentation of, delicious, complex food by, extraordinarily nice people
Cons: only open 5 days, 5 hours/day
Andyppandy2
Andyppandy2

Amazing food and service!!!

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2013

I can't say enough about this restaurant! I never review but after enjoying such fresh, homemade, delicious food and IMPECCABLE service I just had to share my experience with others! Make sure if you're ever in Burlington you swing by this restaurant! Not only are the portions sized perfectly but the service was outstanding! Thank you to Revolution Kitchen for such a pleasurable dining experience!

Pros: Value, Taste, Service
Cons: NONE!
callioppe
callioppe

Minuscule portion sizes

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2013

I was super excited to go into a restaurant and have multiple choices on the menu as a vegan...but after spending too much money, went home HUNGRY. The portion sizes are ridiculously small. My pet peeve of restaurants are those that assume you want the anorexic portion if you order the veggie item...wouldn't expect this assumption at a vegetarian restaurant!?! This is Burlington, plenty of veggie options around town...GO ELSEWHERE. p.s. they got two stars bc that's the lowest this site allows for a vegetarian restaurant, they deserve less.

Cons: portion sizes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, taste of food was nothing special, prices
steveveg
steveveg

At last in Burlington

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

At last there is a vegetarian restaurant in Burlington, and one that also is organic and sources locally. The menu is creative. Many dishes can be made vegan, some can be gluten free. We had the sloppy joe taco nuevos, Bangkok curry, and the special wild mushroom udon. The wild mushroom entree was especially delicious. The restaurant is spacious, and service was attentive and friendly.

Pros: first vegetarian restaurant in Burlinton, dishes can be vegan, pleasant atmosphere
flicka
flicka

Delicious

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2013

Finally BVT has a vegetarian restaurant + it was worth the wait. We've been twice since they opened + have LOVED everything. Hard to decide with so many amazing choices - pad Thai + vegan ravioli were most amazing. Nice space - friendly + passionate owners. Signature vegan chocolate cake worth a trip alone!

Pros: Only veg spot in Burlington, Use many local + organic food, Pleasant - small cozy spot

Dear Owner and Manager of Revolution Kitchen: