CLOSED: Revolution Foods

Vegan food cafe offering burgers, nachos, sandwiches, salads, and daily soup; plus smoothies, teas, coffee, and cakes. Lots of Australian-made and imported vegan sandwich fillings, cheezes, and ice cream treats to take home. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Australian, Western, Take-out
175 Enmore Rd
Enmore, New South Wales 2042
02-90298990

Open Tue 11am-3pm, Wed-Fri 11am-9pm, Sat-Sun 10am-9pm.

First Review by neve13078
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Good cafe style foods in Sydney.

Posted on 05 / 01 / 2014

This is what Sydney has been lacking for a while now - a place with familiar cafe style foods and a good break from the predominantly Asian vegan eateries in the neighbourhood. (Not sure why I didn't sooner visit this place since it opened?)

Everyone in our family liked everything we had - the chorizo quesadilla, a seitan rib sandwich and the fish'n'chips - and our kids can be fussy. I'm looking forward to coming back and trying more.

A smallish place but plenty of space while we were there. Clearly run by ethical vegans - always a beautiful bonus.

Maybe a little pricey for what it is but still highly recommended.

Pros: All vegan., Good selection, All good tasting
Tiggy
Tiggy

Good selection but food just OK

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

We were heading to Sydney this weekend and I saw there was a new vegan cafe in Enmore, and so definitely had to check it out. It's a fairly ordinary looking place with tiled floors, mismatched furniture and a blackboard menu, opening out on to the street with some outdoor tables. The menu looked good and there was a good number of specials. I wanted to try the main menu items, so I ordered the Revo burger with added avocado, (vegan) 'bacon' and (vegan) 'cheese' and a Purple Power (berry) smoothie. My partner ordered the Shroom Burger with cheese. Service was quick but then the place wasn't busy. The smoothie arrived first and I found it a bit too thick for my taste, even a little viscous, without enough flavour or coldness to compensate: disappointing. The Revo burger was OK, although I'm not sure I tasted the bacon. It was burgery enough but at just under $16 (including $1 for each extra) I might have expected better. We tasted each other's burgers and agreed the Shroom was nicer, although my partner reported "all you could taste was the mushroom." I'm curious to try out this place some more but so far the experience has been just OK.

Pros: All vegan (no need for questions or changes), Good menu and several specials
Cons: Food just OK, Smoothie substandard
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Disappointing

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

Sydney needs more vegan cafe and burger places, and Revolution Foods does offer dishes like burgers, nachos, and salads etc. But the the food has been disappointing both times I've been here: not very tasty and rather overpriced - even for Newtown/Enmore. Also, don't expect any sort of 'revolutionary' culture here, despite the name it's just another mainstream cafe, it doesn't even have any community posters on the wall.

Pros: Cafe-style food
Cons: Food not very tasty, Overpriced, No counterculture except the name
  • anarchistanimal anarchistanimal

Hey TheVeganOfAus, thanks for the reply. I love talking about this sort of stuff! I agree with you that veganism *can* be revolutionary and counter-cultural, and that it *is* a necessary part of the better world we revolutionaries are trying to create. But I don't agree that veganism is *always* or *necessarily* revolutionary. It is possible to be vegan and still be individualistic, pro-capitalist, racist or sexist etc (see for example PETA's use of sexist advertising etc). And I think that this is a big mistake. Partly because we should all care about humans and the planet as well as animals, but also because we'll never save the animals if we don't build a wider network of solidarity with other groups and movements. If we actually want to see an end to animal exploitation and cruelty, then we need to work together with others who are struggling to make the world better - Aborigines, feminists, socialists, environmentalists, unionists etc. We don't all have to agree on everything, but we need to respect and engage with each other. Otherwise we will all lose. And this is why I have argued to many owners of vegan places (not just Revolution Foods) that they should have a community noticeboard, where activists and community groups can display their posters for related struggles. If vegan restaurants/shops *only* focus on selling stuff to vegans, then they are not helping to build the movement for a better world. They are just making money off us. And that's their choice as owners - they can be capitalist vegans if they want, but then they shouldn't call themselves 'Revolution' foods or whatever. I live in hope that Revolution Foods (and all other vegan places) will become nodes in the network of struggles for a better world. One small way they can do this is to provide a community noticeboard (like many other, non-vegan cafes already do).

• TheVeganOfAus TheVeganOfAus

While I'm fully sympathetic to your supposed anarchistic leanings, remember that veganism itself is revolutionary and extremely counter-cultural. (And IMO a necessary prelude to and vital constituent of anarchy).

blinki
blinki

My Favourite Place to Eat in Sydney

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2013

Everything on the regular menu that I've tried is great. I even loved the falafel salad and I hate salad. The regular menu is a bit small but they make up for it with a good selection of specials- everyone I've tried had been really good. The portions are generous, I always want to have desert but I'm always too full.

If I were to complain about anything it'd be little things like the water not being particularly cold, I really can't think of much more negative to say.

I does seem to attract a fair number of meat eaters and more than once I've had to listen to them (it's reasonable small and quiet when not busy so I struggle not to listen) go on about how they just couldn't go without meat. Maybe the negative review has something to do with the staff getting a bit ratty from hearing that sort of thing?

markonthereal
markonthereal

Great food, great peeps

Posted on 11 / 15 / 2013

Menu is great, coffee is great and the service is excellent. Love the revo burger and nachos especially! Not sure what SallyBrown is on about, she probably wanted the D of the staff member and he denied her lol.

kogge

SallyBrown
SallyBrown

Revolution foods revolting

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2013

This is not the worst cafe I have ever been in, I was once in Bangkok and was served up what looked like rat crap. While the revolution food looked better, the rat crap from Bangkok was at least hot, and tasted better. Remember TASTE!!!
I was served up a nice looking pie, with some salad. The salad was not fresh, and I left it to one side to enjoy the pie, I am still waiting for the flavour to arrive.
The guy who served me was not only rude, but inferred I was a bad person because I eat meat.
This set the pace for my visit, I will never go back there again, and, if you are not in-the-clique I recommend nobody else go there unless you like soggy salad, cold and tasteless food, and being abused.

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Cold Food, Tasteless, Rude staff
neve13078
neve13078

Very Nice!

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2013

Fantastic nachos and drinks. It is all vegan. The burgers are nice too.

Pros: Nice food, Large portions

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Revolution Foods: