Small vegan restaurant. Has an extensive menu with English and some food photos. Includes curries, papaya salad, and smoothies. Owner speaks English and French. Direction: go west along Samsenthai, cross Khun BuLom on your right is Somkiat vehicle part with an ad for Bridgestone, turn right up the narrow street immediately after the sign. after 100m you will come to 2 restaurants displaying yellow vegan banners. Reunion is on your right, on your left is Phounsub Restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Laotian, Thai, Japanese, Delivery

jaz151
jaz151

Nice if you like meat

Posted on 03 / 14 / 2015

Most of the menu is mock meats so not great if you're like me and don't like meat! That said I got the braised tofu and it was tasty. Nice little place, the lady that was working was really sweet.

Pros: Extensive menu, tasty
Cons: Too much mock meat, no English spoken
sunny*
sunny*

Tasty mock meats

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2015

First when I went there I didn't feel like eating there because all the meals were called real meat names like fried chicken or roasted duck. It was hard to imagine what kind of meal I would get but then they gave us the menu with the pictures and that helped. And the guy working there came to us and explained that everything is made out of mock meat and these are just the names.
The food was tasty but for me personally it reminded of meat too much. But if you like mock meats I am pretty sure you will like this place ;)

jeswri
jeswri

Awesome food.

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2014

Went to Reunion Cafe tonight, at first, thought it was hard to find. Worked with Google maps and street map from our hotel. It's okay once you get the grips of where to go. Pretty simple. The alley way walk was a little nerve racking but not as nerve racking as waiting for my food.

ALL of the food there is Vegan. The menu might seem different. It says vegetarian on the front but none of the items tell you it's faux meat. Just have to rely on your gut and the book with pictures, in saying that.. it's really delicious food, really generous sized portions, tasty and inexpensive.
I'll be going back this week for seconds.

Pros: Delicious, Vegan, Variety
Cons: Next to no English speakers, No description saying it's faux meat

Bob Sultan
Bob Sultan

I Found It

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2014

Not hard to find with iPhone gps and Happycow mobile app. Look up to see sign that says 'vegetarian'. Mock chicken and vegetables I ordered was excellent; fresh and nicely seasoned. Large portion. I would call the price $ rather than $$. Most dishes are 20,000 kip ($2.50 US). Owner is very friendly but does not speak English. Good choice.
Updated from previous review on Saturday December 27, 2014

Pros: good food, inexpensive , friendly
Cons: nothing in English to confirm it is vegetarian
zungi
zungi

Is it vegan? No English spoken

Posted on 11 / 26 / 2014

Not sure, if this is vegan. The menu is covered with mock meat - but what do you make of a "Salad with Mayonnaise", which is also listed? There is no reference to "vegan" anywhere (but only "vegetarian"). If I were a strict vegan, I would be careful with my order.

I had a Lao Style Salad (20000 Kip), which was big and tasty. And the Deep Fried Pork with Vegetables Stir Fry (20000 Kip too), which was small and disappointing: One vegetable (Water Spinach, if I'm not mistaken) and a few, tiny pieces of mock meat that hadn't been soaked enough.

Service was friendly, but didn't speak a word of English or French, and had not only to wait three tables, but also to do the cooking.

Pros: friendly, lots of choice, English menu
Cons: probably not vegan, no English or French spoken
Ianthewander
Ianthewander

A good evening restaurant, serving Laos veg food.

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2014

Visited this in torrential rain, was the only customer, everyone else in Vientiane avoided getting wet! Good, small restaurant. The menu is dual English/Laos, with a good selection of tasty veg food. Lots of fake meat products, not my thing, but there if you want. Price, say $5 for a full meal. Hard to complain. Also sells veg food products. Recommended.

* As at this date the map location is incorrect. The Reunion is located opposite the Phounsub Restaurant.

Pros: Range, Taste, Price
Cons: No deserts, Limited drinks
Drew Cummings
Drew Cummings

Good restaurant

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2014

A decent place offering tasty food. A little overpriced we felt, though it was decent food.
Free water provided.
Also seeks some basic food items and is directly across from a vege shop selling more.

Pros: Fresh and tasty, Quite central, Open to 10 pm
Cons: A little over priced for portion size
Sarayna
Sarayna

OK

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

I spent a good 1 1/2 hours looking for this restaurant yesterday, and didn't find it. Had almost given up when I read the very helpful review below with the directions - thank-you Vgan for the post!

Engligh menu, nice staff, but I think I ordered badly - I ordered the grilled 'chicken', which had a tasty flavour but was just a whole plate of dry gluten with no veg or sauce, so was a bit much with no side dishes. So I would advise don't order that unless sharing among other dishes.

Very small place, everyone else in there was local which was good to see!

Pros: English menu, Nice staff
Cons: Lots of fake meat
myrtaceae
myrtaceae

Friendly service. Good value.

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

A la carte menu, meals available for 15000 kip.

Dried snacks including instant noodles available there too.

Vgan
Vgan

A real find

Posted on 03 / 22 / 2013

There are plenty of vegan places in Vientiane where you can get a cheap buffet lunch; the options for evening meals are much more limited, so this place is a real find. When I was there, on March 22, 2013, there was only one staff member visible, handling front of house and doing the cooking. She was friendly but had very limited English, but we got by. I would point inquiringly to one of the colour photographs of a dish, she would track it down in the Lao part of the menu, then point to the same item number in the English part of the menu. My stir-fried vegetables on noodles, freshly cooked, was delicious, filling, and only 15,000 kip. There are also a number of dishes, including several soups, written on the wall in Lao and English; almost all are mock meat or fish. A friendly fellow diner, a Thai-born Indian who spoke fluent English, told me this was definitely one of his favourite vegetarian restaurants on his regular business trips to Laos.
Reunion can be hard to find. Head west along Samsenthai (in the same direction as the one-way traffic flow) sticking to the right-hand sidewalk. After you have crossed Khoun Bouloum (be careful, the traffic is heavy and comes from all directions) on your right is a building with open space in which stands a model dinosaur of some kind (seriously). Then some food stalls and then some shops. A large shop with a red frontage is Somkiat Motor Parts, and outside it, at street level, is an advert for Bridgestone. Turn right up the narrow street immediately after the sign. Keep going up and eventually you will come to two small shops, facing each other, displaying yellow Vegan banners. Reunion is on your right, on your left is Phounsub Restaurant, which does an excellent lunchtime buffet for 25,000 kip. The vegan shop attached to Phounsub seems to keep longer hours than the restaurant.

Pros: Open long hours, good, cheap food, friendly
Cons: Hard to find the first time
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Tasty and spicy

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2013

This little restaurant has a family-run feel. The menu has a mix of Lao, Thai and Japanese dishes. It's a quiet place on a quiet street (at night anyway), a short walk out of the tourist ghetto. I had a papaya salad and a vegetable stir-fry. They were good and fresh but extremely spicy. The workers are friendly and there's English on the menu and pictures. Prices are very inexpensive - dishes are between 10,000 and 20,000 kip.

Pros: Tasty, Inexpensive , Japanese dishes
sglcklch
sglcklch

Cheap, so-so food

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2012

When my partner and I arrived at the door, we got a bit deterred by the look of things. It was not exactly like the photos posted here - setting was dingier, lighting dimmer and atmosphere rather drab. We hesitated but still went in. Staff seemed perked up to see us and were very friendly. Menu was written on a white board in both Lao and English. The one guy that spoke English also brought us a menu with photos.

We ordered a mixture of Lao and Thai dishes, including a pad Thai, a Massamam curry, a Lao soup and a larb. The Lao ones were significantly better than the Thai, which really lacked the complex flavors distinctive to the cuisine and didn't taste like Thai food at all. They used fake meats in most dishes. Food was average at best but very cheap.

Pros: cheap, friendly staff
Cons: setting
rdavout
rdavout

Small and friendly menu restaurant

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

Veg menu restaurants are rare in Vientiane and this central restaurant further boasts very special opening hours. One of the only places to be open at night and on week-ends. The food itself is nice with a fairly extensive menu and a few tasty smoothies. The least present of the two owners speaks fluent French and English.

reunioncafe
reunioncafe

Exlusive Vegan Restaurant

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2011

This cafe is vegan food. the menu are totally different from others. more choices. absolutely the taste is perfect. the materials like spoons, dishes are very nice

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staffs, Beautiful Place

Dear Owner and Manager of Reunion Cafe: