CLOSED: Restaurant Noosphere

Self service, create and choose your lunch and dinner combinations from hot and cold home-style prepared meals. Choose from pre-packed and ready-to-serve variety of comfort foods such as soups, pies, chili, couscous, veggie curry, ratatouille, tofu stroganoff, vinegarette, marinades, and desserts. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
203 Rue Saint-Jean (corner Turnbull St)
Quebec, Quebec G1R 1N8
418-614-1453

Open Wed-Fri 9.00-21.30, Sat 15.00-21.30.

First Review by Nyanko
Begonia
Begonia

Is this place vegetarian?

2 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2011

I had read the comments already posted here but wanted to try this restaurant myself. I finally had a chance to do so on Saturday, with two friends. I was very disappointed by the lack of vegan options. A lot of items that could easily have been vegan contained butter and/or cheese as another poster pointed out below. In addition, the rare and supposedly "hot" vegan items such as the lentil soup and the white rice in a slow cooker were practically cold, and the night we were there was particulary frigid. The woman who came to greet us and explain how to proceed was very pleasant and the people seemed friendly there. It is a self-service buffet like Le Commensal where you pay by the weight, and I found it quite expensive for the little I ate. They sell a lot of take-out items such as sauces, etc., and again a lot of them contain butter. In addition, I saw "gelatin" written on one of them... are the owners aware that gelatin comes from the hooves of slaughtered animals? (Hence my title...) To be positive, they are good about indicating which items contain animal products. The vegan items enjoyed: fennel salad, lemon cake and chocolate mousse (the only vegan desserts among many others).

Pros: Friendly service, Vegan lemon cake, Vegan tofu bourgignon
Cons: Hots foods were cold, Few options for vegans, Expensive
Phizzi
Phizzi

Yummy Vegetarian food!

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2011

While the "cafeteria" set up and inclusion of cheese and egg products might not make this ideal for strict vegans, this cute little restaurant has a great selection (which you can sample most of due to the setup) and a vibrant atmosphere. The service was friendly, even though we spoke no French (honestly better than I get treated in many US veg restaurants) and it's in a nice part of town without being right among the tourists. I highly recommend a stop here.

Pros: Good selection, Well prepared, Nice atmosphere
Nyanko
Nyanko

Disappointed

2 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2011

Te meals offered in this restaurant are *alot* alike the ones served at le Commensal restaurants!!
You can find the same type of "comforting" vegetarian food: lasagnas, paté chinois, chili, mini pizza, potatoe casserole... Most of them are full of oil/butter and chesse, so definitely not a vegan option (though they indicate wether the meal is vegan or not)

The potatoes weren't cooked enough, and I must say the gratin was the worst I had in my life.

As for the entrées, just like in Commensal, it mainly consist of salad, not bad but you can certainly make a better salad at home, especially if you've been a vegetarian for several years, and for cheaper...

I came here in a week day for lunch, and there was only old people surrounding us. I don't know if someone told us that was a healthy plce, but it's not really, considering the amount of cheese they put in their hot meals.

The design of the restaurant is very poor and unattractive.
I'm sure you can find something better in Québec city (well hopefully, only been there for a day)
Very, very disappointed :(

Pros: Very alike the commensal
Cons: Inspirationless and not that tasty, Could be cheaper for the quality, Bad atmosphere/design

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Restaurant Noosphere: