Restaurant Hongkong

Serves meat, veg options available. Dim sum restaurant, has a separate vegetarian menu with faux meat options - you have to ask for it. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Cantonese, Non-veg
1023 St Laurent (De La Gauchetiere, Chinatown)
Montreal, Quebec H2Z 1J4
514-861-0251

Open daily until 12am.

First Review by thisisme
lindatheveg
lindatheveg

New Owners

1 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2012

We've enjoy very nice vegetarian meals at the Hong Kong restaurant in the past - but things have changed. We went there last night and asked for the separate vegetarian menu . The restaurant has new owners and the menu has changed. The vegetarian options have been significantly reduced and they are now listed in the regular menu with everything else. That triggered some concern for us, so we asked for confirmation that vegetarian really meant vegetarian. The guy said, he wasn't so sure about the preparation, use of chicken stock and real veg recognition anymore. We lost our appetite and they lost our business. We got up and left.

cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Ok option

3 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2009

I like this place. It is a Cantonese restaurant that serves meat. There are the usually assortment of vegan dishes on the menu (veggies and tofu, fried tofu, etc.) and there is also a vegetarian faux-meat menu that you must ask for.

That little menu is what makes this place fun. There are lots of neat little dishes on there that I have not seen anywhere else. Some of them are delicious but battered so make sure you ask if you are looking for a "healthier" veggie option. Also, I think one of the fake meats they use has milk in it, so be sure and ask when you order (sorry I forget which one).

The restaurant is open late, it's quite cheap ($6-9 per dish), and they have the only faux-meat cantonese menu in town. Negatives include the standard plastic table cloth.

As for the other poster, I have always found these place to be fine. The waiters are cantonese, which can throw off people used to western style serving, and I have always found them quick, polite, and friendly if I had questions or specific requests. The food is not supersonic but it is good and the portions generous.

Pros: faux-meat, cheap, open late
Cons: plastic table cloth
thisisme
thisisme

Don't eat here

1 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2008

Food was so-so, service was "eh," bathroom was filthy, and my dining companion saw a mouse. To be avoided.

Dear Owner and Manager of Restaurant Hongkong: