Restauracja Pod Norenami

Artistic decor with individual rooms for families or groups. In front are booths by a picture window. Food is all vegetarian, with plenty of vegan options marked on the menu. Opened early 2013. Serves primarily Asian cuisine, but with some European options. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, Chinese, Thai, Japanese
Ul Krupnicej 6 (/Near Teatre Bagatella)
Krakow, Poland
+48-661219289

First Review by Veggie Mama
Eric_
Eric_

Excellent

5 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2013

This is as close as you get to an Asian vegetarian restaurant, outside of Asia. Tasty food and lots of choices. Makes me wish I lived in Krakow. Cozy restaurant.

Pros: Price, atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: Could have more generous opening hours
TataVislevskaya
TataVislevskaya

Very slow, not so tasty and a little bit expensive

2 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2013

I've eaten in different Japanese restaurants (in Japan, USA etc) in the world and I really don't like this place.

I understand, that's not about Japan or California, but if you are open a such type rest with such price, you should think about excellent service, quality and taste. Because Japanese service is the best service in the world regardless of price.

To wait 15 simple vegan rolls more than 40 minutes is indecently! When we was asking a bill, we immediately got our rolls, but hadn't a chance to enjoy it.

I can't recommend this place for romantic evening, cause it could be spoiled. I can't recommend this place for vegans, cause it has only a few not so tasty vegan dishes. I can't recommend this place for lunch, cause you'll pay a lot and will be wait your order so long. I can't recommend it at all.

Pros: nice interior and central location
Cons: very slow service, not many options for vegans, price
pacopaco
pacopaco

Krakow's first vegetarian restaurant...is Asian...

4 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

I know all of Krakow's veggie places and have been a frequent visitor to most of them for about two years now - "Pod norenami" is my first recommendation to anyone, even though it's not all-vegan and not polish at all.

I have been eating there ever since they opened and quite a few things have changed since then, usually for the better, which is a reason on its own to come back.

This is Krakow's only veggie restaurant worth mentioning - which means that you can walk in, take a seat, order food, enjoy it, pay, and walk out satisfied - in this order and without ever having to leave your table and charming company. If you wonder what's so special about that, give any of the other places listed a try.

But now for the naggy part:

- The menu tries hard to cram everything in that allows for soy sauce, tofu, or coconut milk. It's a hotchpotch of Japanese, Thai, Chinese, and Korean dishes (recently they even offered samosas) - with Polish pies for dessert. It's not the common watering-down of foreign foods to adapt to the (only moderately tolerant) polish palate found in most sino-vietnamese restaurants in the city, actually it's fairly close to the "real" things, but it sure could use some focus and thereby gain in availablity, affordability, and freshness - mesmerize some instead of trying to somehow please all.

- The sushi, although an essential part architecturally and menu-wise, is edible, but mediocre (especially when judged in the light of the owner's somewhat pretentious self-marketing as an Asia expert). There is much better (yes, vegan) sushi available in town.

- Requests for modification of the dishes are hardly ever accepted.

- The waitresses seem to care more about being polite and friendly (which they always are) than well-informed about the stuff they offer.

- Only about half of the menu is vegan (which is still quite a lot due to the wide choice).

- The "separées" are gone, which took up a lot of space, but allowed for a much more intimate dinning experience.

...but despite all that you, your company, and palate will have a good time going there.

Updated from previous review on Monday September 09, 2013

Pros: Tasty food, moderately priced, actually a restaurant
Cons: Only vegan-friendly (i.e. not vegan), some dishes permanently not available
Ryecatcher
Ryecatcher

Japan in Poland

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

Mainly a sushi restaurant there are also other types of food available. Nice decoration and nice atmosphere. Lot of space, so suitable for bigger groups. Pretty expensive, though. Small portions. But really tasty in return.

Pros: really tasty, lot of space, good value
Cons: expensive, small portions
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

So good that my meat-eating parents went twice

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

This place is DELICIOUS. Everything is vegetarian, they speak English and have an English menu, vegan items are clearly marked, and they accept credit cards.

It's easy to find, easily accessible and has wifi.

I really liked the decor, but let's be honest - the most important part is the food. The food was amazing. I had the coconut tofu, and it was absolutely amazing. I'd put it in my top 5 meals of all time in Europe.

This place was so good that my parents (who both eat meat) asked if I wanted to go there again for dinner the next night.

Pros: All-vegetarian, Delicious, Friendly
blaim
blaim

Worth the wait

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

It took a long time for our order to arrived but when it did we quickly forgot and forgave the delay. Delicious food prepared with care. The breaded 'chicken' was amazing.

Pros: vegan, vegetarian, delicious
Ophee
Ophee

Great Food, A bit Confusing

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

I liked it here. Had some confusion in the beginning since the english menu didnt have a price list. The sushi closes early so watch out for that. Menu was a bit confusing when I was trying to determine how I could veganize some stuff that was just vegetarian and didnt know why it was. Kind of small portions and a bit expensive. Good atmosphere though.

Pros: Great sushi
Cons: Expensive, Language issues
Veggie Mama
Veggie Mama

New Vegetarian Restaurant in Krakow - Real treat!

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2013

Wonderful, fresh Chinese -Thai style vegetarian cuisine. Excellent flavors. . Various kinds of Sushi from Krakow's Sushi expert, Pod Thai, coconut soup, fake vegetarian meat, vegetables, tempura, spring rolls, etc. High quality teas. Food was very tasty & fresh. Awesome!

Pros: excellent food, lovely atmosphere, reasonable prices
Cons: None yet!

Dear Owner and Manager of Restauracja Pod Norenami: