Ren Dao Asian Vegetarian

Asian vegetarian restaurant featuring traditional wok-toss style meals with faux meat dishes made from soy protein, wheat protein, and mushroom. Most items are vegan. Set menu specials for lunch and dinner. Organic items, chili items marked on menu. Try the roast duck and curry laksa. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Malaysian, Asian, Chinese

verbosity
verbosity

Disappointing

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2015

High expectations after hearing good things about Ren Dao, but the food unfortunately did not deliver. Pricey and a touch bland, they also had a habit of serving sizzling? dishes that were actually smoking; the staff even held the front door open at one stage to let the smoke out/fresh air in while the customers coughed. Service times were slow and we waited around half an hour for our dessert before querying them, turns out they had forgotten about it. Hopefully Ren Dao just had a bad night!

Cons: Pricey, Bland
chocoholicPhilosophe
chocoholicPhilosophe

Best mock-meat I've found in the SE suburbs

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2015

We've eaten here a number of times, and always enjoyed it, although some meals are definitely better than others. From memory, the parma was probably the least exciting, while the mock duck is incredible. The battered oyster mushrooms were also fantastic, although I don't recommend having them as a stand-alone meal - you want to share them, and another dish, with another person, I found I needed to break up the flavour around the halfway point. In my experience, the Asian-style food seems to be better than the Western-style food.

The staff are all really lovely, and we've never had trouble getting a table without a booking.

Pros: The staff are just lovely, Almost everything is vegan, Some of the food is amazing
Cons: Some of the mock meat isn't quite there, Some dishes don't really include vegies, Parking nearby can be difficult
tardis3
tardis3

Love it

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2014

Been to Ren Dao many times, never had a bad experience. Service, food and overall experience is always excellent. On one occasion I was lucky enough to meet the chef who explained that he changed his diet a few years back (from the advice of the Buddhist Master) so he visited several chinese restaurants so get an idea of the dishes he could veganise. He lost since weight and has never been healthier.

I have taken several omnivore friends to Ren Dao, and as a result some of them are now moving towards a plant based diet.

Always welcoming, I look forward to going there again.

Pros: the Roast Duck!, Great service

SimoneTracey
SimoneTracey

Recommend the Set Lunch Deals

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2013

This is a very pleasant little restaurant with friendly staff. Malaysian style Chinese food and it's all well done. The well priced set lunches are complete with often, a seaweed soup and sago desert or similar with your choice of main. I really love the fish option - I noticed the picture above and that is the dish i like to order. Yum. They have lots of photos on the menu which assists the discerning diners amongst us.

KingKong
KingKong

I liked it.

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2012

First of all, the food here has kick. So if you're ordering their spicey stuff, you've been warned. The style is very Chinese/Singaporean. We had the Fish vermicelli (very nice), the Nasi Lemak (pretty good) and an eggplant dish (bloody excellent).
Staff was great and location is pretty good.
Nothing bad to report.

Pros: Food, Location, Staff
vegan mikal
vegan mikal

Friendly people, tasty food!

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

We have now been to this new venue (opened December 2011) on two occasions. Both times we have enjoyed the friendliness of the staff, their genuine desire to make our time there pleasant, as well as the crisp, clean decor.

The menu contains many well-known items (e.g. kung po chicken), as well as some less common dishes. There are plenty of vegan choices and the staff - especially the older staff - are very familiar with vegan requirements. Vegans should note that some menu items do contain dairy products.

The prices are very reasonable for the location and the fitout, especially the $9 set meals, which contain a small serving of a main, rice, pickles, and a small dessert. This is the sort of thing we were used to in Malaysia, and it came across very well in the middle of Elsternwick.

The venue is easy to reach, with a train station opposite and a tram stop just next to it. It is going to be a favourite haunt of ours, and we recommend it to all.

Pros: Good food, Great prices, Lovely interior
inthemooood
inthemooood

Ren Dao - worth the trip

Posted on 04 / 20 / 2012

Delighted to share my pleasure at finding this restaurant, especially so close to my home. The menu, presented in traditional asian style of numbered items and categories, offers an array of typical malaysian dishes. everything is prepared when you order, so it arrives piping hot and looking fresh and beautiful. my current favourites are the roast duck (22.90), with its crispy skin (how could this be vegetarian? we asked each other), and the curry laksa (12.80), which is a huge meal in a bowl, and too much for one person (though you can take your leftovers home). there's a range of 13 entrees (in australia that means appetisers), and plenty of choice in souls and main courses. i've never had room for dessert. a friend who tried the "chinese coffee" said to avoid it.
staff are welcoming and helpful, without being at all pushy.
this is a newly opened restaurant, with all new fittings. the decor is simple and graceful. there is a small step at the entrance which a wheelchair user (like me) can manage with a little help. while there is no wheelchair loo, there is one at the classic cinema around the corner.
i love this place, and i hope you will too.

Pros: interesting menu, ample helpings, friendly staff
Cons: coffee

Dear Owner and Manager of Ren Dao Asian Vegetarian: