Refeitorio Organico

Buffet style with many choices including sushi, miso, salad bar, soya meats, and lots of vegan takes on local specialties. Costs 22R per person. Location is tucked away down a passageway and up some stairs in Rua Dezzanove de Fevereiro, look for the sign. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Brazilian, International, Salad bar, Buffet

Shaneandlar
Shaneandlar

Good, but not amazing

3 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2014

On a 35 degree day and after walking for hours around the city we we hungry and thirsty when we arrived. The restaurant location is easy to find, the dining areas in a converted kind of house with different levels. It was busy, and hot. No air conditioning, and because it was so busy really uncomfortable environment to eat in. There was a lot of variety. Most stuff seemed fresh except something I put in my salad from the buffet. I think it was sprouts. Sprouts down really hold up to well after sitting outside for hours in 35-40 degree heat. The problem with vegetarian restaurants in brazil is that there isn't a lot of creativity. It's easy to replace meat with soy protein in traditional dishes and that's what you usually find in rio. The food was good but not amazing. Would go back but there are better options in the city, not necessarily vegetarian restaurants.

Vegtravel4
Vegtravel4

Best vegan spot in Rio

5 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

For less than $20, this all-you-can-eat spot in Botafogo is your best bet for vegan food in Rio. I'd definitely recommend the buffet vs the per-plate downstairs. Easy to get here via a quick walk from the Botafogo metro stop. I loved the sushi and tiny pasteis. If I had it to do over again, I'd go to this spot twice.

Pros: Flavorful food, Adorable upstairs, All you can eat
Cons: Food gets cold close to closing time
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Like a dream

5 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

OK, I've never been to a vegan all-you-can-eat buffet before. So to say that I went a little crazy here would probably be a massive understatement. The food was so good! And there was so much of it! I'm pretty sure I got my money's worth and then some. I tried almost everything and loved it all. The sushi and spring rolls were awesome. The rice dishes and meatballs were delicious. The various stuffed fried things were incredible. Best meal I've had in a long time. Highly recommended.

Pros: delicious, good value
Sunny_CT
Sunny_CT

Happy haven

5 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

Finding Refeitório Orgânico after a week of working and junk food in Rio was pure bliss. We were pointed to the restaurant by a friendly local after we found Vegana Chacara closed. A really tranquil setting. The sushi is off the hook!

Pros: Wide selection for buffet, Good value for money, tranquil setting
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Good value and nice vegan food

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

I came here for lunch today and found that the food was pretty good, and decent value at R$32 for an all you can eat buffet. The salads were great and the various hot bean and vegetable stews were excellent. I also had a very nice watermelon and ginger juice which was very refreshing.

Pros: Good food and drink, Good value
Ms. Bella
Ms. Bella

great restaurant

4 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2013

I have to agree with other comments here. I ate at the buffet upstairs, a fixed price with all you can eat fare. Plenty of selections for even the pickiest of veg preferred patrons. Will certainly go back, the best value and very relaxed setting. A nice find in a hard to find vegetarian options city. Buffet was the equivalent of 11.00 (US) or 22 Brazilian reais. Drinks, desert are additional. The restaurant downstairs has a priced menu with service by waiters. The price per person included 4 choices for under $10.00 US or 18,00 reais (Brazilian).

Pros: relaxed dining rooms, quiet, choices of service + items, reasonable prices, best in Rio
Cons: really could not find cons here
ElGuiro
ElGuiro

Excellent taste and variety

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

I really enjoyed eating at Refeitorio Orgánico during my stay in Rio. I was there about five times and loved it every time.

The buffet livre (all you can eat buffet) is 23R$ (december 2012) and offers a huge variety of different dishes.
Usually there are two soups, about 10 to 15 different salads plus the same amount of main dishes and a heated plate with piles of tofu, seitan and grilled vegetables.
Additionally you can choose from several very tasty vegan sushi/maki rolls, including sweet ones with banana and cinnamon.

The food is from all around the world: I've seen sushi and miso soup, hoummus and arabic salads, pasta, yakisoba and traditional Brazilian dishes like a great vegan feijoada.

Going there more often you'll realize that a part of the main dishes, salads and makis are the same every day, but even after eating five times there I did not get bored as there is so much to choose from.

DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

awasome place

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2013

I've been to this restaurant at least 3 times in the past 2 years and for me it is one of the best vegan places in Brazil.
They are 100% vegan, what is not very common here, and their food is always delicious.
They serve a lot of brazillian dishes and some classics of international cuisine (sushi, spring rolls, hommus, falafel, etc).
All-you-can-eat buffet for a reasonable price.

Pros: all-you-can-eat, awesome food
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Excellent healthy, varied organic food

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2013

There's not much I can say about this place to add to the reviews that have already been written here. The food is great and there feels to be something there for everyone.. the variety is so good that we ran out of stomach room to try it all, so we're headed there again tomorrow. Most of the flavourings are quite subtle, so if you're accustomed to stronger tastes you may be better off at Universo Organico in Leblon (but be prepared to pay for that!). The healthfulness of Refeitorio Organico felt superior to Universo Organico though if for no other reason than for the huge variety. We were lucky in that a girl who spoke fluent English happened to be on the staff when we went, so she explained the system to us. We stocked up on desserts and had them for breakfast the next morning - they were really yummy! (do be aware that they cost extra though)

The vibe was bustling and yet at the same time alternative, which was a mix that we liked - being in a room filled with likeminded people is always nice. We noticed statues around that looked a bit Buddhist - very aesthetically calming.

All in all, this variety, this healthfulness, and organic, all at this price? Can't beat it.

Pros: organic , healthy, variety
Cons: not open in the evenings, not open sundays
dnmp
dnmp

Okay Food, Lots of Options, Friendly Staff

3 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

I was here in July 2012 and I enjoyed the food. It's very "Mom and Pop" so expect a relaxed atmosphere. I liked that there were lots of things to try. The fresh juice I had was very good. You should probably speak Portuguese or at least Spanish as I don't know how much English they speak (I spoke Portuguese while there).

One thing you should do is stock up on their Vegan sweets that they have in the small store downstairs. I know I wish I would have grabbed some more of the really good organic Vegan chocolate they have.

Pros: Lots of Options, Nice Staff, Has a store to pick up treats to go
Cons: instructions unclear, food runs out at end of meals
pradipd
pradipd

Excellent Buffet Restaurant

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2011

After eating at a vegetarian buffet restaurant daily in 4 cities in Brazil for the past 2 weeks, this is by far the best I have experienced so far. One of the guys when he realized we did not speak or understand Portuguese, took us under his guidance,a nd showed us around the buffet, explaining everything, taking our drinks orders, and after the meal going out of his way to guide us to the Museu Indio we wanted to go to in the neighbourhood.

The restaurant is in a quite side street off a very busy main street in Botofago, and this 2 level place is extremely popular and busy. This was the largest buffet in terms of number of items, includingan entire section on Zen sushi items that ha done of the most potent wasabis I have ever eaten. I literally broke out into convulsions! Unlike most other buffet restaurants that have primarily salad items only, this one had various fried items, grilled items, pasta, soup, and many other hot cooked items. Desserts are extra, and after this hearty meal (it is a fixed price, not by weight), we had no place for desserts that looked very enticing.

Pros: Variety, Flavor, Value
Cons: Language
IsabelaTaranto
IsabelaTaranto

Very good variety and quality

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

The place is really comfortable, though I thought it was small for the amount of people it receives. The food is excellent, all vegan and an amasing variety for sure.

Pros: excellent food, amasing variety, healthy cuisine
Cons: small place
westcornersville
westcornersville

Loved this place!

5 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2010

This place had a great variety of food--sushi (including one kind that had the seaweed wrapped up just like they do in Japan!), hummus, farufa, casseroles, grilled tofu/faux meats, salads (with a deep variety of ingredients, such as arugula or watercress) and rice and noodle dishes. If you tried everything they had to offer, you'd have to have about a spoonful of each, they have so much! Note that the price is now R$18, though that's quite affordable for Rio standards (and it's all you can eat). Highly recommend--the only request I have is to be open at dinner too!

Pros: big variety, has veggie versions of Brazilian food, affordable
Cons: only open for lunch
itsmeagain
itsmeagain

a great restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

Absolutely brilliant vegan buffet here.Such an incredible array of vegan dishes, including tofu, seitan, sushi, fake meat burgers, rice, soup, bread, etc etc..wondrous.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 06, 2010

Pros: great choice, affordable, speedy service
Lanky
Lanky

a great choice for vegans in rio

5 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2009

We met an animal rights group in rio who recommended this place to us. It wasnt the easiest to find: the entrance is at the end of a passageway/ alley, and we almost missed it. There's a meat buffet place next door which confused us for a moment.
However, once we got in, it was worth it! The best vegan food we've had so far in Brazil, especially when price is considered. It was about half the cost of the per kilo place that we had been to the day before.
A great salad bar, and a good range of soya meats. The sushi wasnt the freshest, but they had some interesting inventions, like deep-fried sushi with banana filling, sprinkled with cinnamon. Good juices.

Pros: great selection, great value
Cons: hard to find at first

Dear Owner and Manager of Refeitorio Organico: