Red Velvet Cafe - Sahara

Serves meat, veg options available. Panini sandwiches, salads, pasta. Most items can be requested with veggie meat or soy cheese for extra charge. Usually has vegan specials for the week. Prices inexpensive to moderate. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, Take-out, Catering, Non-veg
7875 W Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, Nevada 89117
702-360-1972

Open Mon-Sat 9am-9pm, closed Sun.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by veganinvegas

Disappointing, greasy, and overall not good

1 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

This place was SO good when they first opened. They have turned greasy, sandwiches are soggy, lettuce wilted, and service is sub-par. Concept is great; good is very disappointing. With the "cookie-gate" controversy, I will stay away and cook my own food. Plus, they experiment on dishes - there will be no spinach listed, but then they smother the food in spinach. They now have a disclaimer on the menu stating that might have ingredients in a dish that aren't listed on the menu! Who does that????

Cons: Greasy, Cookie-Gate, Very expensive

Love

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

I absolutely love Red Velvet Cafe. It was one of my highlights of my Vegas trip. Love that everything can be made vegan, the staff is great and it's all delicious.

Pros: Lots of vegan, Declicious

DISAPPOINTED

1 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

I was so looking forward to eating here, but I don't eat any oil in my food. I ordered a special dish which the male waiter said was wonderful. It was the most bland thing I ever ate; no seasonings or sauce of any kind. It was expensive and I couldn't even eat it. I told the waiter but he just could care less. You would think that he would have asked to exchange it for something else or at least give us a discount on the dessert. I will not be returning.

Pros: The Red Velvet Cake
Cons: Expensive, Non-chalant attitude

Definitely Questionable

2 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

I've been going to Red Velvet for well over 2 years now. Each time, if I get a new waiter/waitress, I would ask what the ingredients were and it's as if they read from the same script, they always said it was their "secret" recipe but reassured me that it was completely fresh and homemade. I just chalked it up to maybe they didn't want to reveal their "secret" to rivals. I always questioned the supposed calorie content of their baked goods and laughed each time they said their cookies were 27 calories. I consider myself a pretty good baker, but it doesn't take a baker to realize that they weren't telling the truth, but I trusted them. Then recently I started staying away from gluten. I went there today to try to conjure up a gluten-free lunch for my fiance and I was thinking black beans, veggies and brown rice until I was told that the pho chicken they use is completely gluten free. This is when I started doing a little more research. Many gluten-free people have eaten there and gotten sick, why? Until this afternoon, I never actually caught this place telling a lie, only questioned their "low cal" desserts. Then I stumbled up on this article on the review journal that I will post after this review. Read it for yourselves. This review is not bashing on the food that they serve; however, not only must a restaurant serve good food, they must also be credible and tell the customers exactly what is IN their food. I cannot put into words how disgusted and disappointed I am with Red Velvet Cafe after reading this article. The bottom line is this...the ONLY time to lie is when you're hiding something and this is one of those times. If you asked me last week, I would have rated this place about a 4...I will rate them a 2-NEEDS IMPROVEMENT. Like I said, their food is good but what's in it???

Pros: good food
Cons: questionable ingredients, loss of credibility

I absolutely love this place!

4 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2013

They have the most delicious vegan cakes I have ever had. My husband and I don't live anywhere close but are willing to travel to eat here because of the array of food options. What other place can I order a vegan bacon, chicken, cheeseburger? I rarely cook the alternative meats at home for health reasons, but when going out it's fun to be able to have a treat. Isn't that the reason for going out to eat? Eating guilty without the cruelty. ;-)

Not clean

2 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2013

I used to LOVE this place, but the food quality took a dive! The staff is excellent, however. Their panini press is absolutely Filthy. I've gotten sandwiches with burnt residue from other orders. The lettuce is wilted and the portions have otter smaller. I had to ask for more " tuna " on my melt, it was mostly bread and onions. Next time I had to ask for the cheese to be melted; they sent a tuna melt out with cold shredded Deya cheese just thrown on it.

Pros: Great staff!, Variety , Chocolate chip vegan cookies!
Cons: Not clean, Dirty grill/press, Stingy portions

If you value your health stay away

1 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2012

My friend an I ate at this location, I am a celiac and had a supposed gluten free sandwich. My friend is a strict vegan due to her egg and dairy allergy. We received poor service, over greasy oily badly presented food. My friend an I were violently ill after eating their food. She had the vegan chicken tacos and I had a Gluten free chicken mushroom melt.
Bad service, horrible food, and the pain that followed I"ll never return to this location.

Pros: location
Cons: oily, unhealthy, bad service

Sundays

2 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2012

My husband and I went to try this place out, but they are closed on Sundays. Hoping to get a chance to try it next weekend.

REALLY Good Desserts

4 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

I came here once when I was on vacation in Las Vegas. My dad's partner had a book that was like Holly Madison's (the playboy model) guide to Las Vegas so he wanted to go where she said to go. In her book she said that this place had the best red velvet cake and chocolate chip cookies; she was right! They had a whole bakery with so many different desserts and they all looked so good. Unfortunately I did not get to try any of their food on the menu but it looked really good. I would definately go back and try it!

Pros: really good desserts, friendly staff
Cons: kind of expensive

best ever

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2011

Worth every penny. Stock up on supplies, too. Amazing vegan food. Two locations. This place saves me when I come to Vegas.
Updated from previous review on Saturday January 24, 2009

Pros: quality, quantity, variety
Cons: price, hours, crowded

Questionable

3 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2011

I got a vegan spinach chicken wrap and some tea and as I was eating it, I kept questioning if it was vegan or not. It was so damn delicious. I have gotten their individual cakes at Whole Foods countless times. One thing I'm not satisfied with is their service. They need to either hire more friendly people or calm down and listen to their customers more. Also, why stay open another hour if I can't order?

The claim that their cakes are less than 250 calories baffles me.

Pros: Food, Location, Healthy
Cons: Expensive, Staff, Hours
  • sgoodmanesq sgoodmanesq

Their cakes are delicious but there's no way they could be under 250 calories. The icing alone has got to be over 250. They have told me the same thing when I go there and each time I have trouble not laughing.

Great Vegan Food

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

Being Vegan and sight seeing in Las Vegas can be challenging, which is why I am so thankful for this place. My fiance and went to the Red Velvet inside the Fashion Show mall and ordered the Buffalo chicken wrap and chicken spinach wrap which came with a salad. After being in the hot Vegas sun walking around, we were happy to have a nice cool meal. We had even joked about just eating there everyday because the food was so good, well the owner referred us the Red Velvet restaurant and we ended up driving there the next day. I ordered the Buffalo chicken wrap again ( my favorite), and my fiance got the Chicken artichoke spinach panini which was very tasty. This time we left room for desert and ordered the Red Velvet cake, just as everyone else said , this cake is amazing and worth the trip! The owner made us feel right at home, the place was crowded but our food came quickly and the waitress was very friendly. We will be sure to visit again when we are in town.

Pros: Friendly, Clean, Vegan options

A Great Find

4 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2010

I'm from New York and did not expect to find a good vegan restaurant in Las Vegas. Red Velvet Cafe has excellent food and super desserts. The night I was there EVERY dessert was vegan. The one I chose was excellent as was my entree. All meat based entrees are available with non-meat substitutes. I was there with 3 carnivore family members and they all enjoyed their non-veg food there. My brother-in-law, a diehard anti-veg eater said that he "had to admit" that the food was good. Service was a little slow but very courteous and pleasant. Atmosphere is casual. Highly recommend Red Velvet.

Pros: good food, pleasant staff, great dessert
Cons: service a little slow

The Worst Customer Service Ever!

2 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2010

Food were completely overpriced for what they offer from appetizer,to entrees, to the dessert. We had an appetizer and was so gross that we could not even finish the one bite. We brought this to the owners attention, not only they were not accomdating, they were rude and refused to take it off the bill and refused to let us order something instead. We went back another time, (to try this place once more) The Entree I had ordered, had a piece of short black hair. The server took the dish back to the kitchen but the owner came to our table and was not apologetic but with such a rude demeaner arguing that it was none of the kitchen staff that the hair belonged to. Everyone at my table was in shock with his response. I had long hair down my waist, obliviously it was not mine. But!! that was not the point. The problem was still not addressed. He refused to take it off the bill and refund my money. He offered a credit "verbally" (That he will take care of it when I come back next time) I left the restaurant, disgusted with their food, with their price (there were 3 of us ladies, lunch $80), and mosttly with their attitude and customer service. That day I went home with an upset stomach. I will never go back and I DO NOT recommend this place AT ALL. Please go to whole foods and you/wallet/stomach will be much happier!!!

Pros: none
Cons: price, service, cleanliness

Love it

4 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2010

Amazing pastries! Staff has always been very friendly and remembers me even though I only stop in every few months. Not a fan of the pizzetas due to the mushrooms being from a can. Pastas are great however.

• Aneesha Aneesha

Mushrooms are NOT canned!!! All vegetables are ordered fresh daily!!!!!

MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

2 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2010

We have been eating here since this place opened.

At first, we were thrilled to have the kind of food so readily available to us in other big cities in which we've lived on our side of town; as a vegetarian/vegan couple it certainly seemed to most number of menu offerings in the city!

Unfortunately, despite developing an affinity for certain favorites (the taco salad, pizzettas, certain wraps and the red velvet cake are all extremely tasty), the rest of the menu is fairly uninspired and the grilled panini sandwiches kind of mushy and flavorless. (or I should say, the flavor of the mushy bread overwhelms the ingredients within).

The specials are ridiculously overpriced for what they are, and the prices in general are a bit high considering the scant use of organic ingredients, the overall starchy nature of most everything, and the reliance on commercial soy products for mock meats.....these things are of questionable nutritional value (other than being lower in saturated fats, cholesterol, maybe in calories) because they're highly processed forms of soy......which at that point yields a substance that may taste salty and chewy but is regarded by the body as something akin to plastic.

In a place like L.A., only the cheap quick vegan eateries do that. It allows them to keep prices low and find a middle ground on taste, texture, and presentation. Red Velvet Cafe, however, charges up the wazoo for these things ($15.00 or more for some soy fish on brown rice with some overcooked until shriveled, thin, bland asparagus? Really?).

Nevertheless. For times when we were very busy and didn't want to deal with food prep (sometimes veggie food takes a lot of ingredients!) or when friends and family were in town we happily continued to frequent the place, and spent quite a lot of $$ along the way...especially when ordering the food in bulk for a party! WOW!!!$!$!$!

What has finally killed it for us, no matter how delicious that darn cake is, or how much I long for a turkey wrap that isn't Tofurkey (much as I love and should own stock in that stuff), is the absolutely appalling service!

NOT just when it's busy!

ALL THE TIME!

Starting with the chef/owner. While her husband is gracious and engaging, helpful and affable, she has never once smiled at me in all the times I've been there (what has it been now, nearly 2 years now?), which, as a fellow industry person, loyal customer, and part of what was keeping the lights on, thinks is a pretty poor excuse for manner

Pros: Some food very tasty
Cons: Some food very bland or oily, HORRIBLE SERVICE, limited menu

GREAT Place!

4 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2010

I'm in LOVE with this place! I wish I could go to Vegas all the time now...
Not only is EVERYTHING available as vegetarian or vegan, they also use organic whenever possible. The "meat" products are an owner recipes that use organic and non-gmo products - something that is very important to me.
The food is good, the desserts are divine! And vegan too. The Red Velvet cake for which they are named - around 150 calories so you can afford to eat a whole one, it's yummy.
The ONLY downside to the restaurant, and I visited it for 3 days once I found it, is it gets very busy. And when it's busy it gets slow. I waited 30 minutes for my to-go sandwich, so be prepared. I'm happy it's busy though, I'm glad others appreciate and support this restaurant.
Prices are very reasonable too.
I would give this 5 COWS if I was allowed to.

Pros: Variety, Taste, Price
Cons: busy

Most impressive.

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2010

First off, I created this account for the express purpose of reviewing this restaurant, and though I hate to be a parrot, I have to agree with everyone who mentioned that the red velvet cake is amazing; it was literally some of the best I've ever had, and I'm so glad now that I've found some of the vegan variety. I certainly know what kind of cake I want for my birthday this year!

The food in general was fabulous, really; great flavors, generously-sized portions, and reasonable prices. Like some others here, I had a vegan taco salad, and my mother (who is a vegetarian) had the chicken-mushroom-swiss panini. We were both delighted with our meals, as well as the flamboyant decor and the overall ambiance.

I can only think of a few teensy downsides. We must've come in around the lunch rush, so the place was packed and slightly claustrophobic before people began clearing out. There was absolutely nowhere to sit, and we were escorted to a table wherein a gentleman was already seated and was in the midst of eating his meal. This was a bit awkward, naturally. The service was on the slow side, but that was also understandable considering how busy they were. However, the staff were all very nice and considerate, despite all of this. It's also sort of far from where I live, but, of course, such things can't be helped; they are where they are.

I would definitely go back there. I'm interested in trying some of their other dishes, and it seems as though they are willing to substitute veg*n where you'd like. It's a great little place that offers something for everyone's tastes and needs.

Pros: Excellent food, Delicious mock-meat, Friendly and accommodating staff
Cons: Located on the far west side only, Small and somewhat cramped when crowded, Not all veg*n

Great and Innovative Vegan Food!

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2010

Recently, I enjoyed lunch at Red Velvet Cafe. Attentive service - vegan pizzette was amazing! I had red velvet cake for desert.. had to bring home left-overs as food is very filling while nutritious.

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food

Yum!

4 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2010

Had I discovered this place earlier in my trip I would have wanted to eat here every day! Had the vegan taco salad and it was fantastic. Tons of flavor, huge portion. Also enjoyed the wonderful orange lemonade. I will definitely return!

Pros: Vegan friendly, Variety on Menu, Friendly Staff

Very Disappointed...

1 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2009

With the way the economy is today, coupons are a relief to a tight budget. That said I went to Red Velvet with my family to have dinner, I presented a coupon which stated ..."excluding veg and vegan SPECIALS." I had stated I was not ordering any of their (daily) specials, I was just ordering off the menu. The owner had stated she had no control over the way "they" write up the coupon (even though she is the owner). The coupon is ONLY for animal products!!! For a place to advertise Veg friendly, not only do they punish vegan eaters, but encourage one to order dead animals!!! I would have had no problem if the coupon stated veg or vegan items excluded, or stated we will take it this time since you are a regular customer, or even sent a red velvet cupcake for the cost of the coupon (cost $10 to get $25 off bill over $50) No effort was made for a loyal customer. We left feeling very disappointed.

• veganinvegas veganinvegas

What about the food? You didn't say one thing about the food!

Los Angeles to Las Vegas!

4 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2009

From now on every trip to Vegas will include a stop or two to Red Velvet Cafe. This place was awesome. The food, service and desserts were extraordinary. The red velvet cake was sooo good. I hope this place stays here for years and years to come! Hmmm...why can't I give this place 5 cows? If I could I would!

Pros: nice staff, great entrees, great desserts

Delicious

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2009

We ate here twice during our Vegas weekend trip. Everything was excellent. The first time we had the taco salad and "chicken", spinach & mushroom melt along with a artichoke pizza to split. The taco salad seemed almost real! The melt was just the right size too. We took desserts to go - red velvet cake and bluebery crumble. So moist! The second time we got the "chicken" caesar wrap and California panini with the asian noodle salad to share. The panini was the best, but all of it was good. More desserts to go. This time the vanilla fudge and vanilla raspberry. Yummy! We'll be back the next time we are in Vegas. As for the vegan cheese comments below, we had lots of it and had no problems. If it had been real, our tummies would have hated us. Our only complaint was that the second time there, we sat closer to the kitchen and smelled bacon or something. Yuck.

Pros: excellent desserts, friendly staff, yummy salads and paninis
Cons: not all vegan

Completely Blown Away

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2009

I finally created an account just so i could write a short review about this amazing restaurant.

A last minute choice on what was our only day planned in vegas, my girlfriend and i were amazed at the meals we had.

As previously stated by others the star of the show was the cheese. It was beyond amazing. I had the best quesadilla i've probably ever had, "real" cheese or not. Also we shared an top notch panini that just was so rich in flavor. We left with a slice of the Red Velvet Cake, being quite stuffed from our meal. We shared this with our non-vegan grandparents in Utah and they, like us were in love with the cake. They kept asking "what did they make it with!?". This cake may have single handily convinced them vegan bake goods could rock oh so hard.

Our trip took us from Utah to San Diego. On our way we made a point to stop in again because we knew we wouldn't be around for a long time (we live in CT). This time we shared a taco salad that was very good. The beef was the most real tasting beef i've had since the real thing. But the stars this day were the desserts. I got a fudge brownie that i heated up later, and it was so rich and delicious. My girlfriend got a dessert but it was gone so fast i can't even remember what she got!

I may not be a good reviewer but this is an excellent restaurant that will recommend to vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters alike!

This site won't let me give this place 5 cows, but it deserves it!

Pros: Cheese, Staff, Magazines on table!
Cons: understandably a little expensive., only in vegas

Great Vegan Western Food!

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2009

Red Velvet takes great pride in their food and their food is actually really good. I love the vegan tuna melt, the vegan "turkey" tortellini, the vegan buffalo chicken wrap and pretty much everything else I've had here. Their vegan cookies and the vegan red velvet cake is truly AMAZING! I would come here more often if it wasn't so far for me!

Pros: vegan options, knowledgeable staff, healthy cuisine
Cons: pricey

Its 2009 I think we can make vegan cheese strtch!

4 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2009

Great restaurant, one of my favorites in Las Vegas! I have been vegan for 12 years and I am so thankful for a place that my non vegan friends and I can both eat, considering an all vegan restaurant would not and does not thrive in many markets so a big hats off to Anisha and Sunile for there hard work extremely long days. In response to the previous review on whether or not the cheese is vegan I can assure you that the folks at Red Velvet work VERY hard at keeping meat and dairy separate from all vegan food. For example they spent thousands of extra dollars on equipment specifically used for vegan food like grills and other assorted kitchen utensils because they are extremely conscious of cross contamination. So, to make an uneducated assessment with the intent to hurt a family business is sad and embarrassing considering a vegan should be embracing the hard work these folks bring to a tough scene like Vegas.

P.S. We can put an man on the moon I think we can make vegan cheese stretch

• JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

Not so sure about the moon thing I believe that the whole thing was a super sized scam - .....but stretchy vegan cheese "yes indeedy" - see Eric's recent blog post about just that point - http://www.happycow.net/blog/?p=622

• spiceislandvegan spiceislandvegan

I believe vegan cheese can stretch. I have not been to Red Velvet Cafe yet. I just saw the info about this restaurant here. Wow, I am excited! I will try when I go to LV.
    There is a proof that vegan cheese can melt and stretch. The key is heating it. We go to That's Amore in Cerritos. Their vegan cheese stretch on their pizza because they grate the vegan cheese and heat it in a very hot oven. I believe they use Follow Your Heart. Vegans who don't have pizza oven at home may not be able to do this since their ovens are not hot enough.

I have never tried Daia either. Wow, this is a great invention!

Veggie Good

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2009

Great food and service! An excellent restaurant for vegans and vegetarians who are concerned about the food that they eat. Owners have the eduacation and knowledge to help anyone who have doubts as to what they are eating and would not deceive any customer as to whats in the food. If the Red Velvet owners say that the food is vegan it will be vegan. Just because a person had a bad experience somewhere else doesn't justify a negative review with these honest hard working small business owners. It is hard to believe that vegan food can taste this good.My favorite is the Vegan Taco salad(mmmmmm...vegan cheese), red velvet cake and the lemonade. Treat your body right and go here more often.

Pros: Friendly staff, Clean restaurant!, Great food.
  • veganinvegas veganinvegas

Aneesha's newest entree is the vegan tortellini bolognaise (made with soy turkey). It is indescribably delicious!

Is this place really vegan?

1 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2009

During our recent vacation to Las Vegas, we ate at Red Velvet Cafe. I ordered the vegan chicken soft tacos, and my wife had the vegan ravioli. When my tacos came, the first thing I noticed was the "vegan" cheese. I opened the taco, and too my amazement, the cheese stretched all the way across the taco. As someone who eats a lot of vegan cheese, I have never encountered a vegan cheese that stretches six inches. So, I asked the owner what brand it was. He said that it was homemade. I asked what was in it. He said soy. I asked what specifically was in it to make it stretch. He said it was a secret recipe. A few years back, I had the same exact conversation with the owners of Gianna's Grille in Philly, who claimed to make their own vegan cheese (which was also super stretchy). It turned out that Gianna's lied about their cheese and were actually using non-vegan cheese (they are scumbags). So, I am very skeptical of a person who claims to make homemade vegan cheese, especially when it stretches and stays together when heated. So, i didn't get anywhere with the owner. He went back to the kitchen, so I asked the woman working the counter the same question. She said, "I'm under contract and can't tell you the ingredients." Since I wasn't getting anywhere, we ate around the cheese and paid the bill then left.

So here's my take. The owner doesn't make vegan cheese. Since they won't disclose the ingredients, and they also serve meat and dairy, they are lying about the vegan cheese. I have come to realize that there are people in this world who will prey on other people just to make a buck. Do not support this restaurant.

Cons: Won't Disclose Ingredients, Crappy Fountain Drinks, Chairs Suck
  • veganinvegas veganinvegas

This is not Burger King where they claim the fries are fried in oil, only to find out its lard... If Aneesha says it's vegan, IT'S VEGAN.

Maybe you should stay at at hotel with a kitchenette if you don't trust other people to make your food.

• Erin P. Erin P.

Of course the cheese is vegan. Just because it's stretchy doesn't mean it can't be vegan. Aneesha, the owner, is fierce about the vegan stuff in the restaurant, making sure utensils and the oven and the panini press are not cross contaminated with the non-vegan stuff. Before you make accusations, get some facts. I've eaten there dozens of times and if I was eating non-vegan cheese my stomach would have told me by now. Maybe she doesn't want to reveal ingredients beacause she's worried rivals will steal her recipe. I'm just saying, no way this cheese is non-vegan. I'd be sick every time I ate my bowl of macaroni and cheese. Give it another shot. You'll see.

• Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Vegangolfpro, although I haven't tried this place yet, super-stretchy vegan cheese does sound a bit off. If they have found the the holy grail of vegan cheese, it seems like they could make a fortune selling it in the stores. I'm also skeptical about people who refuse to tell you what is in things.

• vegangolfpro vegangolfpro

Erin P. and Veganinvegas: The menu there is about 10% vegan, and when I asked for ingredients, they wouldn't tell me. If they have no problem serving animal carcass, then I'm sure they have no problem serving non-vegan cheese and labeling it vegan. As far as I'm concern, if they won't tell patrons ingredients, they are lying.

Best began cookies EVER

4 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2009

Don't be decieved by the 'vegetarian friendly' label, it should really say 'vegan friendly.' I'll start off by mentioning the only downside to the Red Velvet. The service is on the slow side. In their defence, we arrived during the lunch rush and were lucky to get a table, but even when it slowed down we had to wait a long time for anything.

That being said, this restaurant is amazing. My boyfriend and I were blown away by how friendly and informative the owner was, and how flat out awesome the food was. The passionfruit lemonaid and vegan taco salad are my new favorites. And don't even get me started on the desserts. OH MAN THE DESSERTS. The chocholate chip cookies come in a six pack fresh out of the oven and rival any non-vegan comparisons. I already know we're gonna go back since my boyfriend's gonna eat them all. And the vegan red velvet cake? It was so good I felt like I was cheating on my diet. It's witchcraft, I tell you witchcraft.

Pros: Awesome food, Almost all items can be vegan, Friendly staff
Cons: Slow service, Not enough tables
  • veganinvegas veganinvegas

"slow" service is because there is only ONE chef who makes everything to order. NOTHING is premade so that slows up service. Regulars learn to expect that.

I TOTALLY agree with the desserts... it HAS to be magic/witchcraft. I bet if Anesha made some brussel sprout dessert, it would taste fantastic!

Love the Red Velvet Cake

4 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2009

My fiance, who is vegan, and I recently found this place last time we were in Vegas! LOVED the vegan tuna melt (so much in fact, I ordered it EVERY time we went there). Food was great. We are getting married in Vegas this year and will have our VEGAN wedding cake made here (red velvet of course), Highly recommend. Owners are wonderful, food is delicious.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Delicious food, Friendly staff
Guest
Guest

A fantastic meal!

4 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2008

I visited the cafe on a Monday evening. I received excellent service and was delighted to see so many vegan choices on the menu. I tried the special, which was vegan chicken pot pie. The crust was tender and flaky and the filling was excellent. I ate the red velvet cake and it was moist and flavorful. I will definitely return.

Pros: great selection, tasty and healthy, friendly staff

Overpriced & small portions of bland food

2 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2008

I was not impressed with the food overall however their vegan deserts were descent yet all items seemed way overpriced for such small portions.

You better order two dinners if you don't want to leave still hungry.

Use of disposable utensils was also a turn-off as was the extensive wait for the meal to arrive.

Cons: overpriced, small portions, slow
  • sandieck sandieck

Small portions? I have yet been able to eat a whole dinner in one sitting. The wait for fresh cooked food is worth the wait and the utensils are plastic but are the best plastic utensils I have ever seen. This restaurant is not a full service restaurant, but the best vegan restaurant you'll find at a strip mall.

• takdoyle takdoyle

Ate there today and both my husband and I had huge portions.

• serenacarey serenacarey

The portions are NOT small...in fact, they are so big, I can usually get 2 meals out of everything I order. The food is phenominal!

2009 update:
    USING REAL DISHES & SILVERWARE NOW!
    ---------------------

I agree. I have eaten MOST of the vegan items here (I eat here sometimes 3 times a week) and I have NEVER had small portions. Maybe this reviewer mixed up an appetizer with an entree??????

Absolutely amazing!!

4 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2008

Tonight was our first time at Red Velvet Cafe, but it won't be the last!! We had Chicken Curry, Vegan baked macaroni & cheese, and an awesome avacado & bacon pasta dish. For dessert we had the BEST vegan red velvet cake I think I've ever had, and I've had a lot. We were told the whole dessert (which was enough for 2) was only 145 calories!!!

This place was like heaven. I am a omnivore but my husband is Vegan. It was great to go to a place where they could make anything we wanted either regular or Vegetarian or Vegan. I tried all of "his" food and I would definitely order it for myself. Also, they don't cook w/ too much oil, which is great and you don't feel gross afterward. :)

I wish they didn't use disposable plates & cutlery but honestly, that's the only negative thing I have to say. Oh, and their salad (came w/ entree) and it was spring mix w/ a yummy light salad dressing.

The owners were SUPER nice, go there!! I would give it 5 cows if I could.

Pros: super healthy, delicious & fresh food, very friendly owners
Cons: a little pricey, disposable plates & utensils

Delicious Food

4 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2008

I was so excited to see this place had opened. I've loved everything I've tried there. My vegan favorites are:
Cheese pizza, Mac and cheese, Chicken ranch burger, Tuna melt, Ham and Cheese melt, and the vegan desserts are really good.

My one suggestion is to make more vegan desserts. When I go in at 2pm there is usually just red velvet cake left. I've heard magical tales of vegan chocolate chip cookies yet they are never present when I go. If they're that popular and sell out so fast, make more! Lots more! You should have your entire dessert selection available until at least dinner time! You shouldn't run out at lunch.

Very generous portions, great prices, friendly owners, great innovative cuisine.

I might suggest improving the side dishes a little. Chips or salad are just a wee bit plain. Make the macaroni salad vegan :)

They really put love into their food. Service can be a wee bit slow during the rush but if you call ahead that works well. I'm so glad they are in town! I can't wait for their bakery to open next door.

Pros: delicious food, great desserts, friendly service
Cons: slow sometimes, better side dishes

Homerun!

4 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2008

Vegan at it's best! The Chef specializes in Vegan recipes that are very tasty. The taco salad is my daughter's favorite, but the "chicken" and spinach quesadilla was good along with the macaroni and cheese. And oh yes, don't forget the vegan ice cream or cake. It's in a tiny strip mall that will have you driving there every day for a meal while you're visiting Vegas. It's an easy drive about 9 miles west of the Strip. And you don't have to be Vegan to enjoy a meal here, they have "real" meat too...Enjoy!! P.S. The review won't let me give it 5 Cows!?

Pros: Taste, Flexible menu, Friendly
Cons: Drive

Great Fresh Cuisine!!

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2008

Great Vegan Tuna Melts!!!! Family operated, and they are so friendly. At late notice, I ordered a Red Velvet Cake for my husbands birthday, and my family LOVED it. Highly Recommended to others.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Great Portions
Cons: Seating in Dining area

FANTASTIC!

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2008

For the first time in 10 years, I had salmon. Salmon and mushroom grilled sandwich that I could swear was almost the real thing (as good as a 10 year old memory can be!) This restaurant is amazing for vegans. I consider it vegan because ANYTHING on the menu can be made with the faux meats. ("shrimp" were not that good however). Owner and chef are quite knowledgeable about vegan and remember customers from week to week. I have eaten here weekly for about 2 months now. I can't WAIT for the bakery to open next door (vegan desserts!)

Pros: VEGAN meats, great staff, great menu
Cons: far west side, vegan desserts sell out fast, no outside eating

Dear Owner and Manager of Red Velvet Cafe - Sahara: