Red Emma's Bookstore Coffee...

Re-open Nov 2013 after move from 800 St Paul St. Worker-owned and collectively-managed bookstore and coffeehouse located in Baltimore's Mount Vernon neighborhood. Includes a coffee shop with a food menu consisting of sandwiches, soups, salads, and vegan baked goods. Many items can be made vegan if requested. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Take-out
30 W North Ave
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
410-230-0450

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by kwanza
mickb94
mickb94

vegan-tastic

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

It's hard to find a place that isn't just "vegan friendly" and actually wants to feed you great food without taking ya broke!!! Delicious food, comfy coffee house atmosphere, and Baltimore-istic beauty and charm. Don't pass it up. Make a special trip. If you need to...I know we are sure glad we did!!!

Pros: whoopie pie, key lime soda
NIBsmf
NIBsmf

Great place

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2014

Food: 8. In general the food is sort of heavy on the mock meats and mock cheeses, which I'm sort of "over" at this point in my veganism, but they still have some pretty darn good stuff. I've now been there twice and got the tofurkey melt sandwich both times, and I have to say that while it's a pretty simple sandwich it is really quite tasty. I had some of their desserts, and those were good but not thrilling. Everyone else I know who's had their vegan food has liked it a lot, too.

Price: 8. Reasonable.

Atmosphere: 8. Cozy space. It feels very airy. I like their selection of books. I don't adore the neighborhood and feel a bit nervous walking there alone at night, but it could be worse. Luckily parking seems pretty easy to find around it.

Staff: 9. Very friendly and helpful.

Pros: Tasty food, Mostly vegan, Cozy
Cons: Not a great neighborhood, Could benefit from more healthy options
Creepyvegan
Creepyvegan

Vegan gold mine

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2012

Went here because I was new in town it was close and I needed some damn vegan cake. Staff was nice, place was packed, did get a little bit of a stare from patrons. Food is good I have had two different vegan sandwiches, the bagels with cream cheese, and the nachos. The nachos were so surprisingly awesome! Good prices to a point but the dirty carrots vegan baked goods are very expensive I understand they are more expensive to make but they are double what you would pay if you bought them from her yourself. Still I will buy them when I have a craving mid week.

Pros: Yummy, Baked goods, Good coffee
Cons: Little awkward at first

Took
Took

Interesting Scene, Impressive Lattes

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2012

I try to find the best lattes in town, wherever I go. After trying 6 different local coffeehouses, I landed on Emma's.

+ the best soy latte I've had in B-more (perfect foam). Also, they don't charge extra for soymilk!
+ interesting characters there. I find the baristas to be my favorite thus far -- one woman was singing Radiohead and dancing behind the counter, which is refreshing.
+ sell Dirty Carrots vegan cupcakes, cookies, etc. plus have vegan sandwiches and cream "cheese" for your bagel.
+ fantastic music
+ lots of reading material. I bought a coloring book titled, "Sometimes the spoon runs away with the spoon."
+ friendly vibe...always.

Pros: Food + drink is amaze., Cool place to hang out., Definitely on the inexpensive side.
kwanza
kwanza

nice find

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

I stumbled across this place by accident, and am glad that I did. It's a bookshop / coffeeshop, and also serves sandwiches, soups, muffins and cookies. Plenty of vegan options, including mock-meat sandwich fillings. Good value for money.

The bookshop itself has got a bit of a radical left wing feel to it. The staff and customers were very friendly, and were happy to give me advice about where else in Baltimore I could find vegan food.

Pros: value for money, good for vegans

Dear Owner and Manager of Red Emma's Bookstore Coffeehouse: