Serves meat, veg options available. Primarily modern vegetarian cuisine with a few fish dishes. Daily breakfast, lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Western, Fusion, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Miso Vegan
NeilGaudet
NeilGaudet

I love this place

4 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2013

It's my favourite restaurant on Vancouver Island. Delicious, healthy, vegan friendly. I always look forward to coming here when I visit Victoria.

Pros: tasty, healthy, friendly
Cons: busy, long wait to get in
ozzyprv
ozzyprv

great place, worth the wait

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2012

Wow, what a delicious food! We were a party of 4 plus 2 toddlers. We had to wait for 15 min to get a table.... it was worth every minute. The other couple was meat eater, but they did not miss the meat this evening while having a superb almond burger. Great food and service.

Pros: several vegan option on the menu
MarciaM
MarciaM

Love the place

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2012

My hubby and I frequent this great veg restaurant. Lots of great choices even if you aren't a vegan.

Pros: Great choices, Wheatgrass, Location
Cons: Parking

SemiVeggie
SemiVeggie

Great Food

4 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

I've eaten here many times and loved the food. The super drag part is that it's been busy every time I've gone, so I've gone through a few drinks before my food has arrived.

They've been good at accommodating gluten free & vegetarian diets. One of my favorite smoothie is Dragonfly.

Pros: Healthy Food, Lively
Cons: Overcrowded, Price
Nathan
Nathan

Besides Bliss, it's the best.

4 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2011

Besides Cafe Bliss (prefer raw, so I'm bias) Rebar is the next best thing - hands down. Everything I've ever eaten or drank there was super fresh and tasty. If you have a big appetite, you'll appreciate their generous portions. And the only "meat" on the menu is a few fish options. Otherwise, everything else is either vegetarian or vegan.

Great staff, location, atmosphere & hours.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Great staff, Open everyday, early to late
Cons: Not Organic
Vegies Rule
Vegies Rule

Good Food!

3 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2011

The Chickpea-Cashew Hummous and Tomato-Ginger Chutney were both wonderful. I was enjoying them separately and then my sister suggested I try them together. What a fabulous taste combination! I bought the cookbook and can't wait to see if I can replicate this at home. Definitely recommend even though the line to get in is ridiculously long.

Pros: Good Food!
Cons: Long line!
Josensei
Josensei

Awesome - as always

4 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2011

When we lived in Victoria, this was one of our favorites. Were just back for a visit and eating at Rebar was at the top of our list of things to do. We thought we were Rebar's biggest fans, but we see that someone else has claimed that honor - hope we can share that honor. The food is always awesome, portions large, desserts not to be missed. They don't miss a beat there. A previous reviewer has referred to Rebar as being underground; this is not accurate. It is located on a sloped street so the kitchen side has no windows, but the 2 sides with windows - where customers sit - are only about 3 or 4 steps below street level, which just means the windows are a bit higher than normal. The interior design is eclectic, as is the menu. When in Victoria, don't deny yourself the opportunity for an amazing dining experience.

Pros: excellent meals, creative menu, excellent value
Cons: none
LAP
LAP

Love Rebar - go you'll love it too

4 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2011

Was in Victoria this past weekend and had two fantastic meals here. The service was fantastic with great attention to detail - great news if you are vegan as you know that you can relax and enjoy your meal. Huge juice bar with tons of choice. Make sure that you get to try their sesame miso dressing on your salad you'll love it.

As one of my good friends always says so much food and so little time. . .

Pros: vegan options, great juice bar, friendly staff
Cons: very busy so you may have to wait, noisy - but hey the food is so good
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

Love it.

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2010

This is a local place for me and one of my favourite eateries in Victoria. The Monk's Bowl is big and delicious; the salads are big, colourful and healthy; the nut burgers are delectable. Fresh juices available, also local beer and wine. Quite a few vegan choices (more would be even better).

Pros: great food and good variety, fresh juice bar, local beers
nettietheyeti
nettietheyeti

Great place to take a date

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2010

I don't feel that many veg restaurants in Victoria have a great atmosphere, but Rebar is an exception. They have a fun little underground setting with a juice bar in the middle and friendly staff. The food is very good quality and with large enough portions to take some home. They know exactly what is vegan and don't hesitate to modify recipes if asked. It is very popular, so you might want to make a reservation. The food is healthy and they have seasonal recipes as well. I don't go here all the time because it is a bit pricey for a student.
Cookbook is also good.

Pros: Fun Atmosphere, Fresh, Omni friendly
Cons: $$, Busy
goldie711
goldie711

Great Salad

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

Rebar offers the nicest dining experience a vegan can find in Victoria. Victoria is a casual city and Rebar is a moderately casual restaurant. I had a spinach and smoked tofu salad. They had a few vegan homemade dressings for me to choose from. It's a cute restaurant and the food was better than I expected based on the decor.

Pros: creative menu
spaquette75
spaquette75
  • herbivore

Excellent Dinner

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2008

I traveled to Victoria on my own, so I could do what I wanted where I wanted. I didn't know how much I'd miss talking... but when I went to Rebar, not only was the food awesome (I got the veggie steamer with spicy peanut sauce and a vegan brownie), the staff were friendly and had a conversation with me while I had dinner. Sit at the bar if you're traveling alone, they're great and will offer great tips on where to go!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, healthy foods
Cons: too few vegan options, plastic tablecloths, their veggie burger wasn't vegan...
gisaster25
gisaster25

Good vegetarian caesar salad

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2008

It's a rare occasion when I can find a properly vegetarian caesar salad, so I ordered one here. It was simple (romaine leaves, big croutons, creamy dressing) but tasty and plentiful. Recommended. Beware of ordering the fresh juices involving ginger - mine was overwhelmingly gingery and hard to drink.

Pros: Good caesar salad, Convivial atmosphere
Cons: Pungent ginger juice
jacqui
jacqui

Best Veggie meal we ever had!

4 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2008

When we visited Victoria we found this place and it was fantastic! We had delicious smoothies, lovely salad (huge portion too) and tasty, well cooked mains - I had an artichoke-pasta dish and my friend had the spicy(!!) mexican dish. The place was quite busy but the service was great. I thought it was good value for money as well. If I ever go back to Victoria I'll def. visit the REBAR again. I wanted to give it 5 "happy cows" but because its not 100% veggie, the system wont let me....still, its the best meal I've ever had at a veggie place.

Pros: Excellent food, Great service, Exciting menu
Cons: None!
Lek
Lek

A Treat

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2007

Rebar is always a treat for my family. It is the ONLY restaurant were we can all get something delicious that we love! The cookbook has been a good investment for our household, and we enjoy the creative flavor combinations from our home as well!

Pros: Great variety, Wonderful atmosphere, A juice selection to dream of!
Cons: It costs more than we usually spend, The hours are random
Jetgirly
Jetgirly

Don't Even Think About Missing Rebar!

4 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2007

I am probably Rebars biggest fan! I have eaten almost everything on their menu and there is only one item I wouldn't order a second (or tenth) time! Make reservations because it's always very busy (especially during the summer), but don't worry because service is always very fast and friendly. The menu is almost entirely vegetarian (there are a few shrimp and salmon dishes occasionally), with vegan and wheat-free choices. Standouts include the Rebar Salad with Basil Vinaigrette, the miso soup, the Bombay Rollup and Monk's Curry. If you're ordering an appetizer, you have to try the hummous that comes with tomato ginger chutney. I guarantee that once you dine at Rebar it will be impossible to resist buying the cookbook so you can recreate your meal at home.

Pros: amazing flavours, fresh ingredients, friendly staff
Miso Vegan
Miso Vegan

Good, not great

4 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2005

I enjoyed the food here, although there were only a handful of vegan options. The first time we went to Rebar we had better service than the second time, though it wasn't horrible, just a few details forgotten. Everyone was quite friendly.
Both times, food came out rather slowly. Crayons were never offered.
The first night, they had vegan brownies that were yummy - but the second day, nothing vegan in the dessert case.

Pros: nice folks, good food
Cons: busy, no waiting area, dinner = less vegan food

Dear Owner and Manager of Rebar Modern Foods: