Real Food - The Central

Cafe, grocery shop, books. The menu features a range of western sytle food. The grocery area features a range of products and magazines. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Western, Asian, Take-out

First Review by lasm
veganvirtues
veganvirtues

• raw

Real Food for sure

4 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2014

This place is really great, organic (name organic trend, has NO certification) and great service. They have a small shop attached where I was able to buy some macadamia,walnuts and a jar of sesame paste (that was organic). For my juice I had a Green Veg Mix: spinach, wheat grass, celery and cucumber $8:80 all juices were from $6-$8:80 all juice made through wingears. I had steamed dumplings 8pcs for $7:00 with sesame oil and tamari. Mains had Mushroom Noodle dry this consists of udon noodles with bock choy shitake and cherry tomatoes $7:80
Noticed soups $7:00 miso/kombu with dumplings.
The breakfast menu is not 100% vegan serves dairy and eggs, smoothies have yoghurt and honey. They say free from processed, additives and trans-fat and meat free. Worth the price, decor friendly and busy.

Pros: vegan, great dry good store attached, friendly staff
Cons: dairy, eggs
Tiggy
Tiggy

OK, but some things disappointing for the price

3 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

This place is well located, in fact it was in searching for this place that we discovered Clarke Quay. There is a reasonable selection on the menu, although I was disappointed that, despite having an all-day breakfast menu, there are no vegan options on this, even though the breakfasts are things like pancakes that could be vegan. And two of the non-vegan breakfast options offer a scoop of vegan ice cream as an extra! I ordered a burger which was OK but a little on the dry side. The accompanying sweet potato chips counted two :/ I was excited about my banana berry smoothy but when it arrived, rather than being in a tall glass, it was in a short tumbler! So I asked for some water, only to find it was 50 cents a glass! My partner's non-vegan roast vegetable focaccia was reportedly good. The coffee here is organic and fair trade but when I initially ordered a soy flat white, I was told they didn't use soy products. This was clearly not the case, as other menu items involved soy milk and there were cartons being sold in the shop. This was soon cleared up with the barista and I received a soy coffee, but it wasn't great. The range of options on the menu made me curious enough to go back in spite of the negatives I've mentioned. I tried the stuffed vege salad and it wasn't too bad, but I needed more, so I ordered the tomato and basil bruschetta. This was like a desert, with only the most minimal dribble of olive oil: not impressive. My partner ordered a pizza and the amount of topping was not generous. I'd say that to feed two people adequately here you'll spend S$50 before you know it. OK but not good value for money.

Pros: Organic fair trade coffee (not great), Reasonable variety on the menu
Cons: Staff not particularly helpful, Small portions, especially for the price, Pay for water
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Great veg food at Clarke Quay

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

This place is inside the shopping centre, in the basement.
We ate here for our last meal on a 4 month trip, and it didn't disappoint.
The place feels really upmarket, and the quality of the food backs this up- but the price is still really good value for what it is. The portions aren't huge, and I think dishes are around $15, but the food was just delicious, so were the drinks. My boyfriend had asparagus in his and he couldn't get over how good it was!!

They have small items (books, snacks,etc) for sale, and it kind of doubles up as somewhere you can cosy up with a hot drink and a book/newspaper. Good decor and atmosphere make this place work.

Something to add- We did try eating here one day and it shut at 8pm, so it would be worth checking out times in advance if you can!

Pros: great food, good ambience
Cons: toilet is a walk away across food court
devilry
devilry

A Vegetarian's Home Away from Home

5 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2012

This place is a PARADISE for vegetarians. I'm serious - they have everything you could possibly want.

The nutrition is a huge plus for me. This eatery has an impressive range of health foods. You won't ever worry about insufficient calcium, iron, protein or vitamins with the quinoa, french beans, avocado, capsicum, aspagarus, peas, soy beans and basically every single bit of goodness plants have to offer. The meals use oil and sauces sparingly, instead opting to bring out the natural flavour of the food as much as possible.

Don't even get me started on the taste. The food is simply orgasmic. I tried the organic fried rice (replacing brown rice with quinoa), the chickpea and sweet potato cake and the banana and berry smoothie, and all of them were a delight.

The quinoa is prepared to perfection, and the soft texture makes it feel like little pearls in my mouth. There is a light sweetness from the pineapple, and the capsicum gives it plenty of zest.

The aspagarus and avocado in their salads are sooo good, and would make satisfying meal just by themselves.

The chickpea and sweet potato cake was a little too dry in my opinion, but that's okay, because it gives you an excuse to try their smoothies.

The banana and berry soymilk smoothie has to be my favourite. It has a chunky thickness that completely distinguishes it from the blandness of most commercial, artificial smoothies that are sold. It strikes of a wholesomeness and authenticity that I never though I'd be able to find in Singapore. I spent five minutes looking like an idiot, tipping the cup over my mouth and trying to shake out the last bits of smoothie stuck at the bottom.

This eatery also doubles as a great cafe. It has a relaxed and trendy ambience, and serves a variety of organic teas and coffees. There is a collection of women magazines and humanitarian newsletters for browsing, and the staff are friendly and helpful.

Vegans who don't mind a little honey, milk and eggs in a few dishes will still be at home because more than half the menu is vegan friendly.

I definitely don't think the food is overpriced for the quality you get. For about $10-$15 a meal, it's no more expensive than most other casual dining restaurants out there. The prices of the drinks are easily comparable to other cafes like Starbucks and TCC.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Basically everything
Cons: Nothing at all
lasm
lasm

Nice Decor Good Food

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

Like the great ambience, nice low lights, spacious seatings with choice of sofa or chairs.. library corner is also a nice touch.. a place to bring friends to relax... Great menu of juices and vegetarian food. Some may contain egg, but vegan options are available. We tried the vegan pizza, wanton noodle, organic noodle and natural fruit juices.

Pros: vegan option, great ambience
Cons: a bit pricey