West Hollywood vegan restaurant serving contemporary vegan-vegetarian cuisine. Weekend brunch. Has other locations in Southern California. Street parking. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, International, Juice bar, Take-out
414 N La Cienega Blvd (Oakwood)
West Hollywood, California 90048
310-289-9910

Open Sun-Thur 11:30am-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-11pm.

First Review by Meganfrolic

Fantastic

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

The food is simply the best vegan in the area. Always very tasty and satisfying. The staff is really nice and helpful. They are kid friendly and accommodating. Great place for Sunday brunch. I highly recommend the French Toast.

Pros: All Vegan, Friendly, Delicious
Cons: Parking

Healthy Food, Yet Generally Bland

4 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

Super-nice staff and helpful with their selections. We have been here a number of times. The burrito is a standout, both in texture and flavor. Other stuff we have had (grain bowls) are healthy, yet super-bland.

Portions are customarily large. When they describe something as being garlicky, it's too mild for us. They need to use more herbs and pump up their sauces and dressings with much more flavor.

Old Faithful

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

I love RFD! They have been around for a long time and really have stayed faithful to their vision on vegan cuisine. No Gardien 'meat' here. Reccommend the RFD Burger with the works or their tacos! The ambiance is casual but fancier than most vegan joints, especially in the evening with some classy-ish lighting.

I always leave feeling healthy yet full and satisfied.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 08, 2013

Pros: Excellent cuisine, Excellent service, Nice lighting
Cons: Wish they had a rewards program of some

Hearty and Healthy

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

I have really enjoyed eating at this restaurant a few times... The portions are very generous and the food is very healthy. I like that they include a macrobiotic option. Most places don't bother to consider this option and title it as such... The meals feel more traditional than most other vegan places I go to but it's still great!

Pros: location, service, portions
Cons: i don't crave it like other places, still very good though.

Pretty good indeed

4 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2013

This place was within walking distance from our hotel; it was a no-brainer for us to come here for dinner after a long day of travel. It was a weekday and was still early, so we had no problems getting seated right away. Our waitress came swiftly after, who was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu.

We ordered two soups (one miso, one mixed vegetable), two mains (the tacos and the rice salad dish), and the chocolate tart for dessert. Everything was good, but both my partner and I were most impressed by the rice salad. It looked boring to me on the menu, so I was well surprised that it came out so nicely. The miso soup was strangely sweet, but my partner liked it. The chocolate tart was my least favorable dish - the taste was fine; it was the texture that was wrong. The filling somehow felt like jello when it should be creamy. It wouldn't stick to the tart shell and would come off in one piece. The $7+ price tag was a bit hefty for such quality and portion (just a minor point in the grand scheme of things).

As a whole, we enjoyed our evening a lot. If there weren't so many places to try out in LA, we would have definitely come back during our trip!

Pros: food, service

Again I love this food

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2012

The food is excellent I love it. And the prices are resonable the staff is great. Would I go back to this place for sure. I love the T.V. Dinner it is the best and there lemonaid and water. It's crowded but, I like to see a busy place. And guess what no MSG yeahh. I called the place and talked to the manager and she was awesome she knew what I was talking about. I am glad she even answered my call right away I wasn't expecting that. Thank you. For a great place to hang out with and do I miss this place too.

Pros: nothing , The food was , was awesome
Cons: Nothing to improve , on.

I loved this place

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2012

I adored this place. I wish they had a Real Food Daily in Sydney! I loved my pizza, so delicious. The drinks were amazing too. Very friendly staff and cute decor. My boyfriend loved his burrito. I would totally recommend this place to anyone. Lots of GF options too.

Pros: DELICIOUS FOOD, friendly staff, loads of choices

Good food, but a bit pricey

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

This place has really delicious food, and the Sunday brunch is amazing. Finding parking can be somewhat difficult, but not too bad.

It's a bit pricey for me, but not worse than other spots in this part of town.

That aside, the food itself is really good, and I highly recommend the Sunday brunch.

Oh, and the 1 time I went there, I saw Ray Cappo. So that rules.

Pros: All-vegan, Great brunch, Ray Cappo!
Cons: Pricey

Not so great.

2 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2012

I went there after finding it on Happy Cow. The staff seemed nice enough, but the food took forever and the pizza was dreadful. The kitchen looked completely unsanitary--none of the chefs were wearing gloves or making any effort to keep the place clear or prevent cross-contamination. Anyone with a pair of eyes sitting at the bar would've been able to see that.

Pros: Friendly wait staff, Great smoothies
Cons: Unsanitary kitchen, Bad pizza

Decent

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and have eaten here a couple times. Here's my Real Food Daily review.

The last time I was here it was on a Sunday, and parking on the street was scarce. My friend and I had to drive around the block before beating someone else to a spot in a side street a block from the restaurant.

The restaurant was busy and very noisy with loud music playing. We were seated quickly but had to wait a long time for our server to take our order.

From the menu we opted for the brunch items. We got the pancakes (came with 3 pancakes), and we got "The Weekender" plate which consisted of tofu scramble/hash brown/tempeh bacon/2 slices of french toast. My friend did not like his pancakes, said they were plain and airy. I thought they tasted okay. The tofu scramble and hash brown were good, but the tempeh bacon was very salty. The french toast was okay.

Overall, I liked the modern decor and the menu variety. The food is all right. The prices vary, some items pricey (around 17 for a daily special plate) and some moderate (sandwich for around $13).

Pros: all vegan, nice contemporary decor, varied menu
Cons: slow service when busy, gets pricey, street parking

Its All Good

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2011

I've never had anything bad from this location of RFD.

The Reuben Sand. is a personal fav and the daily specials are always worth trying.

Great good.

Pros: Delicious, High Quality, Vegan
Cons: Slighty pricey but worth it

Real Food Daily

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2011

I've been only once, but I dream of this place many times. I live in Long Beach and wish they had a RFD here. I would love to work there. I was first introduced to RFB by a friend who is not a vegetarian. He said they had the best burrito he's ever eaten. During this visit I shared some cashew cheese nachos with some friends. We were all in heaven. I can't recall what else I had, but I know it was great. Check out their online menu. They have specials that change from week to week. Some day I'd love to go there during a holiday.
Updated from previous review on Friday March 25, 2011

Pros: excellent food, you can buy recipe book

Favorite.Restaurant.Ever

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2011

I could wrote 200 things...but I'll leave it at saying it's favorite vegan restaurant in the world...should be enough.

Pros: Best, Food, Ever

come to RFD

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2010

Food is great, kinda pricey, good selection of wines. All food vegan or raw, the highlight of the restaurant I believe are vegan cupcakes or the vegan twinkie =D . As for entries, I recommend the seiten tacos, or spaghetti and meatballs- all the vegan comfort food. Nachos also seem to be a big hit, see them on a few tables every time i walk in the place. But beware this place is addicting- food is that good

Pros: vegan twinky, vegan cookies, vegan cupcakes
Cons: Wait time long after 6pm, parking bad, ride your bike here., priceyyyy

Best Real Food Daily you'll ever get!

5 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2010

I live am from Melbourne, Australia and have done a bit of travelling in my time and let me tell you that RFD is a must for all vegan's, vegos and meat-eaters alike. Truly delicious food, cooked well, every time. I prefer the Santa Monica restaurant over the West Hollywood eatery only because it has a more laid-back vibe. WH is obviously more 'Hollywood' and because of that you'll often spot some stars such as Davy Havoc from band AFI and Jesse Spencer from TV show House.
My favourite starter is the nachos with cashew cheese and all the other extras such as the taco mix and veggie ground round. I am a fan of Mexican food so the burrito and the tacos also do it for me! If you're in the mood for some hearty food, the Salisbury Steak or the TV dinner with sure hit the spot. The seitan and wheat cutlets are divine especially with mashed potato and gravy. The caesar salad is also tasty with the dressing and croutons. There's an extensive wine and alcohol list sure to win over your palate.
The staff are happy and helpful and they even sell Anne Gentry's own masterpiece of recipes in a cookbook of RFD delights. A must for the out-of-towner! Enjoy healthy, balanced scrumptious vegan meals.

Pros: Delicious, Large Servings, Reasonably Priced
Cons: Only In The USA

Awesome Dining Experience

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2010

RFD provides an outlet for vegans foodies that miss their meat. Their Nachos with Cashew Cheese and Vegan Ground Beef are a treat, and they add to their menu with weekly specials which are always going to delight any audience.

While this restaurant is not inexpensive, the dining experience and setting makes it worth every penny. Expect to pay at least $25 a person. If budget is an issue, keep this place in mind for a special occasion.

Set in West Holywood, this is well worth a visit.

Pros: Menu Selection, Taste
Cons: Parking isn't easy

Amazing!

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2009

One of my all time favorite vegan restaurants! Everything we had was absolutely delicious and well worth the price. I got the salisbury seitan and a ceasar salad; both were fabulous! Definitely a must if you're in LA. I would recommend their cookbook as well, everything I have tried has turned out great!

Pros: Amazing Food, Great Portions

Comfort food

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2009

We used to live within walking distance, but started to go less often as they raised their prices and made items ala carte. That's not to say the food isn't good. It is. I love their club sandwich, burger with the works and the nachos. And they have weekly and monthly specials. The tiramisu is amazing on the days they have it. The red potato salad is fantastic. They make great comfort food. Get Ann's cookbook and make it yourself. The gumbo recipe is terrific. We went on the holistic holiday at sea cruise last year when Ann was there doing cooking demonstrations. We went to all her shows just to get all the samples (and extras!).

Pros: vegan comfort food, amazing tiramisu, good portions
Cons: now ala carte, parking

Real Food Daily

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2009

Real Food Daily has so much to offer. From comfort foods like vegan nachos and club sandwiches to macrobiotic plates and fancy specials to delicious desserts, there is something for everyone. I've been a repeat customer for over 10 years!

Not Good...

2 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2009

I got their version of a macrobiotic plate. It came with kidney beans, brown rice, sea vegetables, a slaw, and terribly overcooked chard, asparagus, carrots and sugar snap peas--I could barely stomach the sogginess of the vegetables. It was just after they opened, so really there was no excuse. It is a vegan establishment if they can't cook the vegetables well they are doing something wrong. My boyfriend's RFD burger wasn't very good either. The combination of texture and color made it very unappetizing (it looked a little like raw meat), but he said once he got past that it was okay.

My fresh juice was fantastic, but I would say that was the only good thing about our meal.

I'll never go again

2 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

I enjoy a balance of healthful cuisine - mostly real foods, simple and balanced. I had heard that Real Food Daily was a great place to eat. I had a macrobiotic plate which was dreadfully awful. Everything tasted like it was not cooked correctly, and I had to send it back. The staff was rude and not pleased. I will never go back to Real Food Daily again.

Pros: none
Cons: rude wait staff, bad food

ok, but disappointing (Flore and OneWorld win)

3 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2008

My 1st two times (in '06, '07) to RFD were better than this. I miss RFD's Tiramisu; it's the best I've ever had. Honest. But, of course, they change up the desserts day to day. And it wasn't available today. The German Choc Cake and Cheesecake were avg to below avg :( Nachos were pretty good though-- best item we had tonite. But I now think Flore (Silver Lake) and One World (WestCo) are better than RFD (based on 3 trips to Flore; 3-4 to OneWorld). I wanna try Madeline's in Tarzana next. Had RFD's Reuben tonite and Flore's Reuben beats it out slightly. Flore's cakes and cupcakes win hands down (as do OneWorld's desserts. They were great when I went this summer). Potato salad at Flore and RFD are a tie-- both good. Portions at least still good-sized at RFD.

Pros: Nachos pretty good, Portions good-sized
Cons: little pricey, desserts only average this time

Use to Love It

3 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2008

I use to love this place. I still like it and do eat here occasionally, but..... It seems the waitstaff has gotten really full of themselves. The food has gotten heavy and boring. And as others have noted, it's pretty pricey eating here. I don't mind paying when the food & service merit it, but things just don't add up here. Maybe it's that high WeHo rent, but I think there is more to it than that. Anyway this place does get busy, and the food is ok. On the plus side for them, I had my small dog with me once and they let me have him with me on the patio. They even brought him a bowl of water. I'd rate RFD good but that isn't an option here at HappyCow, so they have to get a fair.

Pros: Vegan
Cons: Prices, Staff

Real food is really good

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2008

I love Real Food Daily. The food is the next best in Los Angeles after Madeleine Bistro. And since I can only afford to eat at Madeleine Bistro once or twice a year, I go to Real Food Daily more often. Both the West Hollywood and Santa Monica locations consistently serve great food, and our waiters have been very friendly.

(As an aside, we spotted Alyson Hannigan and Queen Latifah eating at the West Hollywood location on our first visit! It was something of a thrill).

The restaurant has great weekly and salad specials. From the regular menu, the nachos (get them with seitan and jalapeno "cheese") are stupendous. I love to get their salads (so far I've enjoyed both the house salad and the farm chop) with the caesar dressing, which I can't get enough of. The house (tahini) dressing and the peanut sauce are also quite good. I love the El Bandito Rojo, which I get topped with the jalapeno "cheese." Also good are the mashed potatoes and gravy and the chai soy latte.
The desserts vary a bit more in quality, some (the chocolate hazelnut cake and the chocolate espresso truffle) are excellent, while others (the cupcake and the brownies with ice cream) are okay but not as great.

The great thing about RFD is that the menu is huge and everything is vegan. I feel like a kid in a candy store when I go there. It's thrilling to be asked "Would you like that with rice milk or soy milk?" when I order a chai. There are many menu items I haven't tried yet and I look forward to sampling them.

If I could change one thing about RFD it would be the prices. They are sadly typical of Los Angeles -- it is not uncommon to pay $14 or $15 for an entree. On the upside, at least you are getting a full meal when you plop down that kind of cash, which is not the case everywhere in this town (Madeleine Bistro, I'm looking at you). Still, RFD is one of the places that makes me glad to be in LA, and I recommend it highly.

Pros: delicious food, great selection, all vegan
Cons: $15 an entree

A trendy rip-off

2 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2008

I have been coming here for years [catered my wedding even!] I stopped eating here a couple of years ago, because the quality went down & more choice of vegan restaraunts in L.A.
So I was appalled @ the price hike & down right offended that now you have to pay extra $$ for the side salad that used to come with the sandwiches, so it makes it about $15 bucks for a sandwich w/ the side! And the food was not even good, to salty & bland if that's possible! The service was terrible as well. There are much better places to eat in L.A.

Pros: organic
Cons: food, price , parking

Delicious!

4 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2008

RFD is pretty great. I've only been there once, but both what I had (Reuben) and what my boyfriend had (RFD buger) were great. He also had mashed potatoes with gravy, and the gravy taste so much like turkey it kind of freaked me out!

Pros: Awesome food, great atmosphere
Cons: WeHo permit parking, boo., kind of spendy

Real Food, Daily

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2008

It's expensive, but soooo worth it. No question. My favorite is the $15 worth of barbeque chop salad, but i can't afford $15 daily, but would sooo go there everyday if i could. Also, they have wonderfulll daily specials.

Pros: yum, healthy, tasty
Cons: expensive

The best.

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2008

I eat here (or the Santa Monica location) once a week. If I had to eat at only one vegan restaurant for the rest of my life, RFD would be it. I think I have tried everything on the menu and if I could narrow it down to a few of my favorites it would be: the nachos, mexicali chop salad, real food bargain, and the ceasar wrap. And the desserts! They are the most sensational vegan desserts, I would eat an entire cake of theirs if I didn't have such a crappy metabolism!

Pros: great food, friendly staff
Cons: parking, cramped seating
Guest
Guest

Great Food Daily

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2008

Based on my one visit, I would say this is a fantastic vegan restaurant. I visited on a Sunday during the brunch period. I had the French toast platter: three slices of delicious French toast accompanied by a few strips of tempeh "bacon" and some fresh fruit. An excellent meal. My glass of orange juice was pricey at $6, but it was a large one. My wife tried the "live wrap," which she declared to be "yummy." Service was attentive (thanks Brittney) and the decor attractive. I only wish I lived close enough to eat there more often. Guess I'll have to buy the cookbook.

One bonus: Ellen DeGeneres and her partner Portia De Rossi (Lindsay from Arrested Development) were also dining at RFD during my visit. Evidently this area of W. Hollywood is good for star-gazing.

Delicious!

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2008

We had a chance to stop in for dinner before going to the Pantages Theatre for a show and we were running late. Exceptional service! We let our waitress know we were in a hurry (the place was packed) and she brought everything we ordered out in five minutes. We had to eat REALLY fast, but everything was delicious! Highly recommend the salisbury steak/seitan dish with the extra yummy gravy and the coconut cream pie. The cupcake was amazing too...bought the cookbook to take home. A must if you are in LA!

Pros: Great service, delicious food, lots of choices
Cons: a little hard to find

loved it

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2008

they've got fantastic vegan options and even some raw food options, everythings organic and with that in mind the prices are more than reasonable. i know its been said but this is a must if youre in LA.

Pros: great food, great service, decent prices

RFD is Very GOOD!

5 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2007

I've been to all of the RFD locations, as I make it a point to stop at RFD during each California visit. I agree with the reviews below, it is a must when visiting CA! The potato salad is amazing, I even dream about it...LOL! I've had the Salisbury dish and the "TV Dinner" both of which were very good. They even have fresh [and good] juices too!

If they would sell and ship their potato salad, I will be the first to order it!!!

REAL FOOD DAILY ROCKS THE CASBAH!

5 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2007

Seriously, this place is one of the best veg places ever! Never a disapointing meal, try any of the following for a pleaser: yin yang salad, burrito, RFD w/ the works burger w/ avocado, cupcakes, carrot cake and this cold berry tea drink--it's so yummy. Yes, it's expensive, but what do you expect for fresh veg food? Staff is alright, not that great or anything. Perks include spotting veg stars like Alicia Silverstone--she held the door for me with a big smile, love it!

Pros: Excellent food, healthy cuisine, big menu
Cons: no parking, so-so staff, only on the west side

Don't miss the brunch!

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

RFD is a vegan staple in LA. You MUST hit this one or the Santa Monica location. There's more seating here, but both tend to get crowded and you usually have to wait at peak times. REMEMBER that there is always a seasonal special! Its usually the best thing on the menu. Don't miss the nacho's, by far the best vegan nachos on the planet. The Sunday brunch is a stand out, too. VEGAN OMLETS...

Pros: seasonal items, brunch, nachos

Not bad, Will try again

4 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2007

I ordered their Salisbury "Steak" and my friend had their Thanksgiving "Turkey" dinner. I thought both dishes were decent. I loved the gravy for the Salisbury "Steak" but the actual seitan in the "steak" was very coarse and dry. The tempeh-tofu "Turkey" was ok, but didn't taste like what I remember turkey tasting like at all - more like stuffing with tofu bits in it. Great dessert - the rice cream is creamier and def better than dairy ice cream, in my opinion. All in all, good service, pretty good food at a decent price, but honestly, my heart still belongs to Madeleine's vegan bistro in Tarzana, and I would drive the extra 30 miles any given day to have fantastic vegan bistro-style food there.

Pros: yummy food, good, attentive service, willing to make substitutions
Cons: valet parking, dry seitan

Must visit

5 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2007

I go any time I am in LA and have time to venture there. Everything is good. I have had the RFD burger, the French Connection, and several of the specials. The peanut butter cupcake was fabulous and so are the cookies!
Lots of regulars go there and the staff often go above and beyond. The server last time even let me put the valet parking in my tip and paid the valet out of her pocket when he was ready to wrap up before I was.
I like this place so much I bought the cookbook.

Pros: Great food, Seasonal specials, Terrific staff

a real gem

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2007

I have been livig in LA for almost a year and I am disappointed that i waited SO LONG to go to RFD! The food was amazing, there were tons of wheat-free options which is a major plus for me! I loved it so much that I went out and bought the cook book! This is definitely one of my new faves:)

Delicious food, trendy veggie joint

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2007

If you can find parking and tolerate the wait, the food (although a bit on the pricey side) can't be beat. I loved the nachos, the soba misa noodles, and we had the real food meal which was a hit and miss. The carrot cake was good. One of the more memorable vegetarian restaurants in recent memory. Would love to go back again the next time I'm in LA.

Pros: Great food, Good ambiance, Very filling
Cons: Prices tend to be higher, Very busy, Parking

Try the tacos!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2007

For a nice big satisfying vegan meal, Real Food Daily simply can't be beat. They specialize in organic comfort food (the tacos with cashew cheese is my favorite dish EVER) but offer a couple of raw options as well. The atmosphere is comfortable but cool, and it's a great place to take easily impressed out-of-towners as there is usually a celebrity sighting or two. The food is so tasty that you can even bring your omnivore friends here. My boyfriend was scared to death of an "all vegan" place, but the RFD burger turned him right around. My only gripe with RFD is that I have never been overly impressed with the deserts. They are usually much too dry, and I've never found them to be particularly imaginative. But the mocha latte is a good desert alternative. If you are only in town for a few days, I definitely suggest visiting this location rather than its Santa Monica counterpart. Since there is *much* more seating, there usually isn't a wait. And I've found the food to be more consistent, as well.

Pros: all vegan, best tacos ever!!!, fast, competent service
Cons: sub-par deserts

Yummy

4 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2007

Great vegan restaurant, food is really good. Some dishes I have had in the past are just okay, so I stick to what I love (the T.V. Dinner).

Pros: great food, healthy
Cons: pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Real Food Daily: