Opened Aug 2013, this casual eatery serves organic vegan food, bread, and desserts. Offers daily weekday menu, night dish, Saturday and Sunday brunch. Has wi-fi; dogs welcome. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Beer/Wine, Spanish, Bakery
C/ Lope de Vega, 7
Madrid, Spain 28014
675382072
OPEN NOW

Mon 10:00am-4:00pm, Wed-Fri 10:00am-4:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:00am-4:00pm

First Review by elisou
jtep
jtep

Loved It

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2015

Located close to the Prado Museum and the Anton Martin metro stop this little restaurant exceeded our expectations in every way. The atmosphere is casual and comfortable and you almost feel as though you're at a friends house for lunch. All of the food was vegan, delicious and well presented but the bread and the desserts are on another level, wow.

It turns out our waitress was the owner, which I liked, and she spoke English in addition to Spanish which helped me quite a bit. She said she opened the restaurant because she likes to eat vegan and organic and was having trouble finding places to eat that met her standards. Bravo!

HappyTiger
HappyTiger

Perfect!

Posted on 11 / 07 / 2014

This is my favourite vegan place ever. Food is delicious and fairly priced, the desserts are just to die for, and the bread!

The stuff are both lovely and very professional, always with a smile on their faces and doing their best.

The place is quiet, clean and comfy, very easy to get to and dog friendly.

Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
JoScott
JoScott

perfect little place

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2014

Love, love, love this place. Beautiful, fresh, healthy handmade food. Food can come out a little slowly, but can forgive them as everything is freshly prepared to order. Went twice for brunch, and once for the menu del dia, and couldn't fault it. The handmade bread is beautiful, and the rice milk coffee delicious. Can't reccommend enough, especially compared to some of the stodge we were served in other vegan places in Madrid.

Clare
Clare

Great Place

Posted on 08 / 06 / 2014

Not too tricky to find (from Metro Antón Martín go down Calle Leon and hang a right), the front, decor and design were friendly and bright and the vibe inside was friendly. I went on my own and the people who came in all remarked "Where is everyone?" so I can imagine it being a popular hang-out spot.

Opening hours are Brit friendly (as in early lunches are accommodated).

I enjoyed a very tasty Seitan in mustard sauce over vegetables, amazing lemon and lime cake and proper coffee. The other desserts also sounded very creative.

There was disabled access (including toilet) and the inclusivity extended to a baby-changing station and even a step-up at the sink for youngsters in the bathroom.

A tiny bit out of my usual price range but would go again for my next visit to Madrid (and eat lots of cake :)

Pros: Great tasing food and creative desserts, Friendly vibe, Fairly central
JcRodriguez
JcRodriguez

Increible.... Amazing

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2014

Yo recomindo este restaurante vagano en 100% , la comida, servicio, precios excelentes. Una joya en Madrid. Nos encamto, volveremos. Gracias.

If you go to Madrid I will recommend this Vegan restaurant, the food incredible, service and price.

Pros: Service, Food , Price
angloitalian
angloitalian

Design is great, food is better

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2014

Though small, there are plenty of seats for several couples or a small group of friends to share a meal together, and the choice of food though might not be on several pages (as so many travellers expect) but rather a small selection of dishes that they prepare fresh, and prepare very well indeed.

We're much happier to stop somewhere that cooks a few select dishes very well than the alternative of too many menu items all made without much care.

The portions are great, and prices are fair, and the staff are friendly and will try their best to help you with the menu should you have any problems (though we hardly expect any).

There are also a few seats outside, be sure to get their early if you wish the few in the shade.

Great coffee too!

Pros: Design, Well prepared selection of food, A very well done tofu scramble
Cons: Lighting could be improved
mmb
mmb

Good option if you are in the area

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2014

Limited menu, but very good and healthy food. very nice juices and smoothies. Friendly staff

Pros: Very good food
Cons: Small, you need to book in advance, Expensive
jpfroud
jpfroud

Nice

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

Nice staff, food was ok. Nice bread.

Pros: nice staff
Cons: food is just ok, no written menu (not great for tourist)
  • angloitalian angloitalian

We were there just over three weeks ago and there was an English menu available, also, the staff on hand were able to translate for us.

Sorry to read you had trouble.

Jarmst63
Jarmst63

Love Rayen Vegano!!

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

Fantastic!!!! It is so wonderful to arrive at a restaurant and know that I can order anything on the menu. I didn't even recognize some of the vocabulary in Spanish for the plate of the day, but ordered it anyway.....and it was delicious! The chef is working hard in the kitchen and beautiful, healthy, and tasty food is the result. The garden salad is refreshing and such a nice change from greasy tapas. Go to Rayen Vegano, it is terrific and just want your body needs.

Jeffeateasy
Jeffeateasy

very good

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2014

I went there on sunday midday. Must have good reputation because many people had booked their table. Staff very kind. Very good meal, maybe just a little expensive for the quantity of food served, or the plate of meal could be a little more full. Also, I payed 1.50€ for 2 slices of good bread and I just eat one: a bit expensive for one slice.

Anyway, I recommend.

Healthy-jenny
Healthy-jenny

Loved this cute cafe!

Posted on 03 / 19 / 2014

I really loved this adorable cafe! Its so wonderfully decorated and cozy and the food is fantastic! The staff (owner i think) was really nice and friendly. My friends and i enjoyed breakfast there and a super delicious beetroot carrot cake :) If you are in Madrid i highly recommend this place!

lewisjc
lewisjc

Reyan

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2014

Small cafe type environment, nice staff.

Menu of the day is limited but the food is great
Sells beer and very nice wine

Pros: Beer and Wine, Food Excellent
Cons: Lack Of Seating, Limited Menu
veganintheberkshires
veganintheberkshires

Wonderful presentation, healthy, amazing ambience

Posted on 01 / 18 / 2014

The ambience in Rayen is relaxed and revitalizing. The aesthetic is as close to perfect as you could imagine. The owners have a wonderful sense of style and you feel instantly calmer and more comfortable upon entering the doors!

We were in Madrid for only two days. On our second day we ate at Rayen for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner! My wife and I have eaten at many U.S. vegan establishments and thus have much to compare it to. The defining characteristic that I take away from my experiences at Rayen, one that I think differentiates this small establishment from some of their American counterparts, is that each and every dish felt healthy, yet satisfying and filling. No one flavor trumped another and the integration of their dishes was impeccable. It was beyond doubt that they only used fresh and quality ingredients. I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a healthy, satisfying meal. After leaving the vegan wasteland known as Granada, Rayen was an oasis.

P.S. if your Spanish is not great like ours, no worries the owner/waitress is very patient and kind and speaks great English to help you out.

phillygirl79
phillygirl79

So glad this place exists!!

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

So, Madrid is just about the least vegan-friendly place I've ever been to. Seriously. It's appalling. However, vegans can find a great meal at Rayen Vegano for a reasonable price. The menu is limited, but everything on it is quality. We went our first day in town, and then we went back because my boyfriend, who isn't even vegetarian, wanted to since he liked it so much. Their bread is heaven! Make sure you order it. It's several days later, and we still are talking about it! You really can't go wrong here. It's all so well done, and the place itself is charming. The staff are also very friendly. In a city full of meat and cheese, this is a happy oasis!

Pros: Awesome food!, Friendly service, Charming atmosphere
Cons: Limited menu
kimssv
kimssv

Our favorite restaurant in Madrid!

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

Out of all the great vegan restaurants in Madrid (and there are plenty), Rayen is by far our favorite. Meat eaters, vegans, vegetarians would simply love this place. Everything from the atmosphere to the service, the price and of course the food is top notch. They serve daily options at lunchtime which have always been delicious and have a stupendous dinner menu with special dishes as well. Their home baked bread is to die for and the vegan desserts are unbelievable. From their savory dishes we've had their lentil and beet burgers (one of our favorite dishes here and THE best veggie burger we've ever had), their eggplant parmigianna (the flavors were crazy! so good!), their 'choclo' casserole, their potato and veggie gratin, their pumpkin soup with crispy mushrooms on top, their thai inspired soup, their Sicilian eggplants, their bulgur and raisin salad, chocolate and banana cake (my personal favorite), brownies, pear and banana cake with plum jam, their famous carrot cake, and their pumpkin and chocolate cake... every single one of these dishes has been incredible and full of flavor with a beautiful presentation. My husband and I live in Madrid and we go every week! Sometimes twice a week when we want to indulge in their scrumptious vegan brunch. The owners are always there and the service is wonderful! The restaurant reminds me a bit of those little French bistros in Paris which makes coming here a real treat. Our doggie has come to brunch with us and they have always welcomed her which is great too. There really is no place like this in Madrid, whether you're a vegan or not. They also sell a homemade Sicilian 'caponata' so that you can take it home with you and it's one of those magical little things to take home or give as a gift (ask them if they have some!). Don't hesitate to go to this one, I've never been disappointed at Rayen and my non vegan friends love it as well! It's super helpful to follow them on Facebook since they post lots of pictures of what they're preparing on certain days, their schedule is also there which is great to check before you go. If you're dining alone, this is also a great spot as it's small, cozy and very comfortable.

Pros: Incredible food, Beautiful restaurant and atmosphere, Amazing service, dogs are welcome!
nadsun
nadsun

It is my favorite vegan place

Posted on 12 / 06 / 2013

This is a very good choice if you are in Madrid :) I love this place. The ambience is so cosy and friendly, you can feel how everything is made with conscious and love. The people are very nice and the food is good. Thank you guys!

Pros: Exelent food, friendly staff, nice vibe
Cons: good value
emzie1983
emzie1983

Delicious and cosy!

Posted on 11 / 25 / 2013

We went to try this cafe on I think a Tuesday for lunch, but it was closed. Luckily on our last day we tried going back and made up for missing out first time round by eating vast amounts of food (and nearly missing our flight!!!)

The cafe is small and has really cosy, quaint decor, a bit like a country cottage! The location is also easy to get to. The waitress was really friendly, and even though it was her first day working there, was very helpful when it came to explaining what was on the menu.

We arrived too early for the lunch set menu, so ordered some dips with bread, which included tapenade and houmous and were all delicious.

Afterwards we ordered the set lunch menu of 3 courses and a drink. There were two options for each, so between us we ordered it all! I can't remember excatly what we had now as was a month or so ago, but I had a pumkin soup with more homemade bread.
For mains we had tofu balls in sauce and the second option was a bean stew. Both were tasty and wholesome and I liked the variety of the food, which obviously had a lot of thought behind. We had our cake for dessert (one chocolate, one lemon) to take away as we ran out of time. Both were good.

I would defintely recommend this place to anyone in Madrid!
Updated from previous review on Monday November 25, 2013

Pros: Deliicous and interesting food, Lovely little cafe!!, Friendly staff
mane lopez
mane lopez

Excelent vegan food !

Posted on 11 / 25 / 2013

Congratulations !

Excelent food and very warm attention.

erichartnett24
erichartnett24

a cafe that every vegan should know about!

Posted on 11 / 24 / 2013

This delightful cafe located in a wonderful area of Madrid has some of the best vegan food in town! The hummus trio was something to be seriously appreciated, and the veg-hamburger was even more tremendous. Please, if you're a vegan and you are in Madrid visit Rayen Vegano! it will never dissapoint. The only thing is that I wish i wasn't so full I couldn't try the cakes! next time..

Pros: Hummus Trio, Plates of the Day, Fresh food, friendly staff
elisou
elisou

Very nice!

Posted on 11 / 13 / 2013

I found this lovely and cosy organic vegan restaurant one morning in Madrid. The food is tasty and healthy and the owners are very friendly. I did not try the cakes as it was early at day but they looked amazing!

Dear Owner and Manager of Rayen Vegano: