Raw Power Cafe

Large selection of vegan dishes and a large salad bar. Vegan cakes and slices available. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Take-out

First Review by amber_downthewells
vegankiwis
vegankiwis

Great lunch place in the city

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2013

Definitely check out this place if you're looking for lunch in the city. Their salad bar is good value (you can pack a lot into a bowl!) and tasty. Lots of yummy vegan dishes to pick from, plus their fresh juices are great.

Pros: Salad bar, vegan in the city
PhysicsNinja
PhysicsNinja

Good, But Could Be Improved.

3 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2012

Initially I thought the Raw Power Cafe served entirely raw vegan food, and as this was something I was interested in after being vegetarian for a while, I decided to give it a try. Instead I found a little vegetarian and vegan cafe tucked away amidst the small alley of Vulcan Lane. On a usual day I would've gone for a $10.20 bowl of salad from the vegan salad bar, which offers at least 10 different varieties of salads. However, on my latest visit I opted for an off the menu curried vegetable soup. It was served with toasted foccacia and hummus, as well as an additional side salad that I ordered separately. The salad I chose consisted of my two favourites, the roasted pumpkin with pumpkin seeds and the black bean with a mysterious but delicious green dressing, as well as a green salad with homemade sweet chilli.

For $16 I thought the meal was average, and I regret not ordering my usual bowl of salad. The soup itself was mildly spiced and pleasant; however, it was not enough to tickle my taste buds. The accompanying bread and hummus were similarly underwhelming. My two favourite salads did not fail in pleasing me while the salad greens were just okay. Additionally, I find that the variety of salad is not as wide as other cafes.

The cafe itself is lovely and gets a decent dose of sunshine provided the sun is actually shining (and since we're talking about Auckland here, it's not really certain when that happens). Its surroundings are well kept and clean, and the lady at the counter who I presume to be the manager or the owner herself is always inviting. The biggest downfall to me though is the fact that most of the food is reheated using the microwave, including soups, tarts and pasta. I personally wouldn't mind waiting longer for my food if it were instead heated using the stove top or the oven, because I find the constant *ping* of the microwave unattractive at a restaurant.

Overall for a vegan I would recommend to opt for the salad bar rather than ordering off the menu.

Pros: Green Dressing, Lovely staff
Cons: Lack of variety, Microwaved Food
vet_student
vet_student

Vegan? Raw?...a little disapointing...

2 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2011

I came here the other day expecting to discover delicious vegan food, and the blackboard - which exhibited the main meals - contained a meagre few choices that were 'actually' vegan (apparently 'some' of the recipes can be altered to be made vegan..).

Moreover, the title "raw" is not very representative of the major features of the menu which are evidentially not raw at all...

JezzingtonBear
JezzingtonBear

Another vote for the tofu burger!

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2011

Popped along to this delightful little cafe yesterday for the fabled tofu burger, after reading so much about it here. The cafe itself is extremely pleasant to sit in - airy, relaxed and not too busy, even at lunchtime midweek. It is located just off the main shopping street, slap bang in the middle of the city.

The tofu burger was fantastic. I don't generally approve of a burger I can't eat with my hands but, in this case, the need for cutlery was entirely justified. A big slab of tofu, salad, mushrooms, avocado, hummous and a pesto dressing served on foccaccia make for an artful, filling and delicious treat. With a coffee, came to just under NZ$20.

Went back today for the veggie breakfast (served all day). Again, delicious, though the veggie sausage was a little lacking in texture and flavour. I ordered a bowl (!) of coffee with it and a 'Vulcan' juice - apple, carrot and beetroot. Total bill was just under NZ$30. They have a good selection of juices and smoothies, including wheatgrass shots and scoops of protein powder.

Pros: Central location, Good food, Pleasant atmosphere
Cons: Little bit pricey.
Jackie2011
Jackie2011

great cake

4 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2011

I went here three times and thought the vegan cake was awesome. The veggie (or was it tofu?) burger came with a little salad and nice bread. I also liked the tofu scramble, the veggie juice drink with beets and carrots, a chocolate cookie with cream filling, and one of the vegan sandwiches. It gets busy during lunch on weekdays but that's a good thing. I'd recommend this restaurant, meals are light yet filling and the vegan cake is really good.

Pros: filling, vegan proteins, vegan cake

Yvette Rigby
Yvette Rigby

Nice little vege lunch and breakfast place

3 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2011

I ordered the tofu burger - really flavoursome tofu and heaps of salad - plus 3 side salads which turned out to be too much for me to eat :(. Also got a vegan cream cookie thing, which was basically a choc cookie sandwich with icing in between and sprinkles - very sweet, but that's to be expected! Disappointed to read that they use cage eggs, considering they openly promote SAFE, and charge high enough prices to afford free range :(

Pros: Fresh, healthy vege food, Range of vegan sweets
Cons: Only 1 vegan breakfast option, Cage eggs!
hokusai77
hokusai77

nice little cafe

3 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2011

Maybe I was a bit annoyed by the wet weather that day, maybe I was a bit tired, but I didn't enjoy this nice place as it deserves. I had their tofu burger served in focaccia, with hummus, salad and avocado, that was really good. I didn't try their vegan cakes, though, even if they looked quite promising. Too bad it's closed at night.

Pros: good vegan choice
Cons: closed at dinnertime
al_nz
al_nz

funky little cafe

3 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2010

Great decor/building. Its a nice place to hang out over a leisurely lunch. The food is pretty good, although on the pricey side. Compared to Revive just up the road (my usual haunt), the food here feels a bit stodgier and not as refreshing and healthy. But compared to any other auckland cafe its excellent in terms of vegetarian options.

I had a fancy $6 juice that was supposed to be full of yummy goodness but it tasted like it had been watered down. I felt a bit ripped off!

Pros: Funky building, Yummy food, Nutritious
Cons: Expensive
louise_cowpertwait
louise_cowpertwait

Hypocrites: free range marketing for battery eggs

2 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2010

The food is good but this cafe is completely hypocrytical when it comes to how it markets itself. The cafe is full of animal welfare and ethics promotional material such as SAFE donation boxes for battery hens, yet they use caged eggs! We even checked twice! Not only is this unethical but they are misleading their patrons.

Pros: good food, nice atmosphere
Cons: misleading marketing, battery eggs
SydneyMaureen
SydneyMaureen

Great Tofu burgers & chocolate cake

4 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2010

Although only about 20% of the main dishes on the chalk boards were vegan some of the others could easily be made vegan, all the cakes were vegan, as was the salad bar. We had tofu burgers on focassio bread with humous, huge amount of toppings, fried onions & mushrooms, baby Spinach, rocket, red & green curly lettuce, bean sprouts, tomato, cucumber, advocado & another slice of focassio with humous, delicious, really delicious, not cheep at NZ$13.90 each but worth the money. Had take-aways of chocolate cake, very yummy.

Pros: friendly staff, quick service
Cons: could be more vegan dishes
sophie666
sophie666

Delicious!

5 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2010

A great little cafe, salad bar, delicious cakes/sweets, the burgers and sandwiches are absolutely amazing. The staff are friendly, the environment is very sweet and simple. Vegan friendly and has vegetarian options.

Pros: Healthy options, Good selection of desserts, Extensive menu
Cons: A little pricey
berrygirl
berrygirl

Great food, great prices

4 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2009

I had lunch here recently and it was very yummy! I went for the salad bar as there were so many creative and colourful healthy options. Afterwards I couldn't resist a piece of the chocolate cake - the portion size was enough for 2 people. It was delish! If going for lunch, arrive early as it fills up very quickly.

Pros: Great variety of meals, Very tasty & healthy, Excellent prices
InJessT
InJessT

Great Cafe

4 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2009

This is a lovely little cafe in an area dominated by pubs in a nice lane way. Went here for breakfast and it was delicious. They were happy to make sure everything was vegan for me. Had the scrambled tofu and mushrooms, which was incredible! All dishes were served with a nice chilli tomato salsa and salad. Boyfriend had fresh tomato and avocado with toast. The bread they use is lovely and grainy. Good fresh juices. Friendly couple run the cafe.

philjdomm
philjdomm

Organically & Hygienically Raw Atmosphere...

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2009

and environment...and food is wholesome!
Whey is awesome.
had their tofu burger, vegan choco cake and juice smoothy.
very busy during lunch as business people eat there too!

Blue Cloud
Blue Cloud

Loving the variety at Raw Power

4 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2009

Today my friend and I sampled the tofu burger and the pumpkin fritters at Raw Power. They were very delicious, not too savoury but with the right mix of flavours and herbs...I really enjoyed the experience, the food came about 8 minutes later which I think is the right time. The salt and pepper bottles were so cute, there were watermelon ones as well as mushrooms ones. I think Raw Power is the best vegetarian/vegan cafe at Auckland CBD. I will try others, however I do like the friendly staff there, and the many desserts they offer! Definitely go again!

Pros: Great variety of food, Friendly staff, Vegan options
Cons: Lack of seating during lunch hours
Petesternz
Petesternz

Great lunch spot

5 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2009

Hadn't been to raw power in ages, but a recent stop made me wonder why I've been away so long. This place has some amazing salads, tofu burgers and great desserts. It's a really great place to get a vegan chocolate cake and they had great chocolate-vanilla cookies (vegan) when I was there. Nice atmosphere, though it can get a bit crowded. Juices were also pretty solid. Well worth the visit.

Pros: great food, tasty desserts
Miggi
Miggi

More than a salad and juice bar!

5 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2009

Raw Power Cafe is on Vulcan Street, above an Irish pub.
Climbing the stairs, trying to feel excited about a salad and juice bar, we really didn't expect this cafe to be so nice!
For one thing, they do some fantastic main dishes as well as the salad bar. We tried their tofu burger - a total understatement for the dish that arrived which had hunks of foccacia bread covered with layers of marinated roasted tofu, salads, avocado, hummas and a great herby green dressing. And the salad bar was crammed with really tasty salads and dressings.
Their juices were good and fresh as you'd expect.
And their vegan desserts are a fantastic finishing touch. We were served massive slices of vegan chocolate cake.
Everything was friendly, relaxed and clean.
It isn't cheap but we felt we'd had value for money in terms of the location, freshness of the food and so on.
We had found NZ pretty un-vegan-friendly so we're grateful to find the people at Raw Power trying to make up for that!

Pros: Choice for Vegans, Location, Chocolate cake
button
button

Nice selection

3 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2008

They have a pretty extensive menu, with many vegan options. They also have a full menu of fresh juices, coffee and vegan desserts. They're on the second floor with nice big windows that open and look down over the Vulcan lane shopping area. Great for doing some good people watching.

Pros: People watching, Great fresh juices, breakfast
amber_downthewells
amber_downthewells

Cosy people-watching cafe on Vulcan Lane

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2007

Wonderful to find places like this and have so much choice. We had the tofu burger and three salads from the salad bar. All delicous! I guess you are paying the sort of prices one might expect on Vulcan Lane but I like to support places like this one, and you have to treat yourself sometimes! Nice staff, very cosy environment, and you can see what everyone is up to down on vulcan lane if you sit by the window.

Pros: great selection, YUMMY, cosy environment
Cons: price!

Dear Owner and Manager of Raw Power Cafe: