Serves meat, veg options available. Small comfort food cafe run by an owner/chef that focuses on using locally grown and seasonal items. Locally grown veggies are showcased, along with in-house-made bread and baked goods. Staff is knowledgeable about veganism and which dishes are vegan. Some of the daily salads and changing toasted sandwich menu items are vegan. Most dishes are made to order so could be made vegan. Serves Campos coffee with soymilk available. Large range of teas. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Bakery, Organic, American, Western, Take-out, Non-veg
85 Bathurst St
Hobart, Tasmania 7000
03-6231-1274

Open Mon-Fri 7:30am-4pm, Sat 8:30am-3pm, closed Sun.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Tashty
JayBeeGeeBee
JayBeeGeeBee

Quality cafe.

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2014

I'm a Hobart local and I frequent Raspberry Fool, as the coffee is excellent and the food fresh and delicious.

There are a few great vego only restaurants within walking distance of this cafe, but I often choose Raspberry Fool as my first option - is good value and the quality of the food is unsurpassed for the price. I've met the owner/chef and she knows how to make great, clean vegetarian food.

The specials menu is often a great pick with multiple vego options. The soups are great - I had a completely vego miso soup recently that was fantastic.

I've also had some of the best sandwiches ever here recently - a delicious roasted eggplant and dill on homemade sourdough was sublime (nearly made up for all the godawful 'salad' sandwiches that vegetarians are forced to endure). There is usually a roasted veggie option too.

Breakfast menu is extensive, and the toasted paninis also contain vego options. The spiced tofu panini I had recently was cheap and delicious.

There is also a large range of vegetarian pies and pastries that utilise local vegetables. I don't think there are vegan though.

The staff are friendly and happy to field questions, and make variations.

Lastly - the cakes and slices are often excellent too. I prefer vegan baked goods, but these are again great quality ingredients handled well. They change frequently, but the peppermint slice is killer :)

Pros: Big emphasis on local seasonal produce, Fantastic tasty food, Great coffee and tea
Cons: Small shop
Tashty
Tashty

Pleasant Surprise

2 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2013

I went here for breakfast with a friend. The first thing I saw on the specials board was something like "Scrambled tofu with caramelised onion, mushrooms & cashew cream on toast". It was completely unexpected as I thought I'd have to go through the menu picking out what I could eat.
The meal was big & delicious.
My friend had french toast which looked awesome.
The coffee was great.
They seem to be into organic & locally sources produce.
I didn't see any other vegan options on the menu but I would check the specials board. The guy working there said they always try to have a vegan meal.

Pros: Good vegan breakfast, Good coffee
Cons: Limited vegan options

Dear Owner and Manager of Raspberry Fool: