Ras Dashen

Serves meat, veg options available. Ethiopian food typically offers a number of spiced vegetable dishes. Live music Sunday. Atmosphere is relaxed. Price: Moderate more-less
Ethiopian, African, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
5844 N Broadway (Ardmore)
Chicago, Illinois 60660
773-506-9601
  • Wheelchair accessible

First Review by JulieV
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Mixed Feelings

3 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2011

The way a restaurant's menu is laid out always makes a big first impression. It tells me whether, as a vegan, I'm going to be treated with respect and my dietary choices held in proper regard. Are the vegetarian and vegan items specially marked? Where are they placed on the menu? Are the veg items on top of the menu or tucked below as an afterthought?

Ras Dashen had the vegan items specially marked on the menu...fantastic. It had the veggie items listed before the meat items...top notch. The problem is all the veg items are listed as "sides". The beef and lamb dishes are listed as full-out "entrees". So if you order a Meat Combo you choose your entrees and 3 sides (the veggie dishes). For the Vegetarian Combo you choose 5 sides. I am sick of being downgraded to a side dish! To anyone with an ounce of compassion and notion of proper healthy eating, vegetables are a main dish. Instead of "sides", call them "Veggie Dishes" and your whole menu will make sense.

I liked the "come as you are" casual atmosphere. Beautiful flowers made the outdoor tables tempting. Wait staff was friendly and we were well attended to though service was a bit on the slow side. This restaurant has the best injera bread of any Ethiopian restaurant I've been to. I highly recommend the Tikil Gomen Alicha (choice #5) which is cabbage, potato and carrot stew and the Misser Wat (#10) which is pureed red lentils in a spicy berbere sauce.

lenabobena
lenabobena

I'm in love...

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2011

I admit it, I love Ras Dashen so much. Every time I get a craving I cannot deny myself of this delicious food, and end up making an hour trip by train up north! I was hesitant to even look at the reviews so that I wouldn't be tempted to go today! I've been to a few Ethio places and Ras Dashen is definitely my favorite!

Vegan ice cream if you can even manage to eat dessert after the amount of food you get... I get the veg platter for two and eat for two days lunch and dinner! Their Injeera is the best I've had, the Mushroom Wat is possibly my favorite food in the whole world.

Ok, I'm done gushing... I should probably get ready to make the trip up north and eat...

Pros: BEST Ethiopian food, HUGE portions, live music sometimes!
Uvita
Uvita

Best Ethiopian in the World

4 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2010

I have tried many, many Ethio restaurants in many cities, and Ras Dashen is the best I've ever had. Fortunately I live a few blocks away and can go often. Chef Zenash makes her own spice blends from scratch and the food is incredibly flavorful, complex and satisfying. I recommend the dupa wat (spicy pumpkin stew) and the mushroom wat (spicy mushroom stew with chickpeas) as well as all of the sides, 100% of which are veg! And yes, they do have vegan icecream for dessert.

Pros: Romantic atmosphere, Lots of veg options, Best food in the world
Cons: You eat until you hurt
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Great Vegan Options!

4 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2009

I recently ate at Ras Dashen and found it to be a very pleasant experience. Being a Vegan I found it very easy to find several options here. They have a separate section labeled as vegetarian and a V is next to everything that's Vegan. Virtually every veggie dish was Vegan so that's a plus in my book. I got the Vegetarian Sampler and I got to choose five different items. I can't remember the names of what I got, but the numbers were 5, 8, 10, 11 (I got two of one of them). My meal was so good and I was partial to the potato and green bean item. After our meal they gave us the desert menu, and to my surprise, they had Vegan Temptation Ice Cream! This place gets many stars in my book! Great food and great options!

JulieV
JulieV

I can not say enough about this place!

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2009

I am so in love with Ras Dashen, I might even go as far to say as it is my home away from home! My fiance and I have been dining there since 2005 and at one point we were going twice a week for a about a month or two. They have live music on Fridays and the atmosphere is very comfortable. You can sit at traditional Ethiopian tables or at regular tables. The food is DELICIOUS! We highly recommend the Shirro, a chickpea "buttery" dish as well as many of the sides. Just a heads up to anyone with gluten issues, injera, the bread that you eat with is gluten free! If I could give them 5 stars I would!

P.S if you go with a party larger than 2 on a weekend evening call ahead and make a reservation.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good portions
Cons: can be a little noisy

Dear Owner and Manager of Ras Dashen: