Ranchos Cocina - North Park

Serves meat, veg options available. A Mexican restaurant that offers plenty of vegan and vegetarian choices as well, including faux meat dishes. Look on the chalkboard for featured vegan dishes. Located right next door to Sipz vegan restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Mexican, Take-out, Non-veg
3910 30th St (University, North Park)
San Diego, California 92104

yesenialc91
yesenialc91

buenisimo!

Posted on 08 / 18 / 2014

Best veg mexican restaurant!!!

bartlettljc
bartlettljc

AMAZING

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2014

We were excited to try this place, even though it's not a strictly vegan restaurant. They have so many options, and the wait staff all had their favorite animal free options. We went back twice, both times sharing the vegan fish tacos because they were amazing. The 3 enchiladas were fine, but the vegan surf and turf and chimichanga were much better. Their salsa is one of my favorites!

Pros: options, flavor, salsa
Cons: not strickly veg
bmann52
bmann52

Eaten here many times

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2014

A great place to take meat eating friends where we can get a great tasting meal. Highly recommended.

KurtDavidHermansen
KurtDavidHermansen

reliable

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

There are many vegetarian options. The staff are nice.

Salexa25
Salexa25

Wonderful Place for Me and the Omni Husband

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2014

I recently moved to the area, and Rancho's was one of the first places my omni husband and I went to eat. We both love it because it has delicious options for both of us. Their menu is huge, and includes vegan pancakes, tortas, yummy vegan carne asada, and a plethora of choices for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Nearly everything on the menu can be veganized. I'm not much of a drinker, but my husband likes their margaritas and says that they're really strong. I wish I could give this place 5 cows. The only major downside is having to find parking in North Park...I usually pay $5 for a spot to avoid fighti for a spot.

Pros: Huge Menu, Vegan Breakfast Options, Nearly Everything On Menu Can Be Veg/Vegan
Cons: Not Fully Veg, Parking In North Park Isn't Great
FirstlyFiona
FirstlyFiona

Tacos and Cupcakes All in One Place

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

I have been here a few times and even though I am the only vegan in the group, it has always been a hit with everyone. Lots of vegan options on the menu and friendly service. Yesterday I had tempeh tacos that were beyond delicious and then got a vegan carrot cake cupcake that is probably the best cupcake I have ever tasted in my life. A top choice when I visit San Diego for sure!

Pros: Delicious Food, Great Selection, Friendly Service
Cons: A little dark inside, Didn't like the parking area
cheddargurl
cheddargurl

Many Vegan Options

Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

The staff is very nice everytime I've gone there. They come right away bring you something to drink, then your chips and salsa. I love that they have so many vegan foods, tamales, tortas, burritos, enchiladas. The food is good. And the vegan cake is delecious. My whole family has came before and enjoyed it. The place has an interesting vibe with its art. The prices are not much diffrent than any regular restaurant. Maybe $8 dollars on a plate. Have returned many times before.

Pros: friendly staff, several vegan options, good food
Cons: sometimes runs out of cake if you come late, has meat options too
daveoz
daveoz

Great Mexican Food and Organic!

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2012

We were very impressed with the food. The chef does some great things and uses mostly organic ingredients. We loved this place so much that we returned from dinner for breakfast the next morning and had the buckwheat pancakes with blueberries and the breakfast burrito with Organic tofu scramble, potatoes, onions, peppers, etc. - wonderful! This is a most "eat" restauran when in SanDiego for a Vegan.

Siphon
Siphon

Giid

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2012

The make a very good Vegan burrito

maulydaft
maulydaft

ok but loved the vegan horchata

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

I got lost so I was STARVING when I got there. I was really lucky it was open late!
The tempeh taco was only ok. Nothing that made me want to eat it again, but if someone gave me one for free I'd be happy. :)
What really made my meal was the vegan hortchata. I fell in love with this stuff on my first visit to California in 1998. If course it's pretty much NEVER vegan, so I was real happy to find Ranchos. And they did an EXCELLENT job. THAT is something I will dream about!
There is a large selection of vegan dishes so perhaps had I chosen better I'd like my taco better.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 25, 2012

Pros: late hours, next door to Sipz, vegan horchata!
sglcklch
sglcklch

Yesss, vegan Mexican food!

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

Came here with my BF for dinner. Decor was nice and funky, place wasn't too big but it was a Sunday evening and we came in early so we got no problem finding a table. As soon as we sat down, our server brought us complimentary tortilla chips and hot salsa, yum! When they were running low, he promptly topped them off without us even asking. Talk about attentive service!

As for food, we shared the organic blue corn nacho for appetizer, SO good! My BF ordered fish tacos while I got the vegan trio enchiladas. The tofu filling was awesome with wonderful texture, not mushy/watery as tofu sometimes can become. I think they totally nailed it. The mole sauce was also delicious.

Portions were very generous and we left totally stuffed. Had to skip the vegan desserts sadly. Food was exceptional, service friendly and prompt, definitely great value for money. Best thing was the menu, amazingly veg*n friendly and offered tons of selections for meat/non-meat eaters alike. If only I lived around San Diego...

Pros: value, service, selections
SiaEra
SiaEra

Great Mexican food

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

Rancho's is my favorite Mexican restaurant to bring friends and family. It is the only restaurant where everyone can find something they like to eat. They will make room if you have a large party. I always get the Tofu Ranchero's enchiladas with black beans and brown rice. It is really refreshing to see a mexican resturant serving black beans and brown rice, those are my favorite. They have a large selection of different dishes which they can make Vegan by substituting mock meat or tofu and leaving out the cheese. Sometimes they get a little busy but it is worth the wait. They have a nice ambiance going on with some cool art of the walls, lots of Frida. Also parking is sometimes hard to find, you may have to drive around looking for side street parking.

Pros: Vegan options, Family friendly, Excellent food
Cons: Limited parking
keesimps
keesimps

Outstanding Mexican Food!

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2011

My buddy and I stumbled past this place (quite literally as we were in town for the National Homebrewer's Conference) and were hungry. He's a meat-eater, so I figured, what better place to check out. I had the Veggie Trio Enchiladas Combo Plate, which has one Blue Corn Avacado, one Entrijolada w/mole & one Tofu and I have to say that the mole was the best that I've ever had. My buddy had shrimp enchiladas and loved them.

We told another friend that was out with us about the place and decided that we had to hit it another day for lunch, so I got the Lentil Enchilada plate on special with daiya cheese and enjoyed it again as well. We shared some soy chorizo taquitos and one friend had the shrimp enchiladas again and the other had a seafood tostada with a chili rhelleno.

On our previous lunch visit, we found out that they served breakfast, so decided to go by on our way out of town on Sunday morning. My buddies enjoyed the coffee as it had some cinnamon in it and I had a great hot chocolate with soymilk and wonderful spices. For breakfast I had a vegan soy chorizo burrito that had potatoes and black beans and peppers in it that was amazing and added the daiya cheese. We shared a plate of vegan organic multigrain pancakes and one of my buddies got a seafood omelet that he said was wonderful.

I am honestly not used to having so many options that I was very indecisive as what to get. Also, the staff is very nice and we ended up speaking with the owner at length. Overall, this was a great restaurant that I will definitely go back to next time I am in San Diego and am looking forward to taking my girlriend to. I really wish that we had options like this in Phoenix!

Pros: Flavors & Choice, Location, Friendly Staff
kristalinn
kristalinn

Vegan's Mexican Paradise!

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2009

I don't know of ANY other Mexican restaurant in SD that has Vegan options. And they have a million and half! You don't have to stare at the menu for an eternity trying to figure out how you're going to come up with something that's Vegan. You don't have to ask if they cook with LARD (yuck!). My favorite: Vegan Veggie Quesadilla - it's so good! Occassionally it comes out before the cheese is properly melted. If that happens, just send it back... it's worth it! Another point to mention: The Shitake Mushroom as a meat substitute is the BEST meat substitute there is, hands down! Meat eaters may not even realize that it's not meat!! One downside: The salsa is not salty enough for me... so I add salt. The chips are delicious - be careful not to fill up on chips before your meal arrives!

Pros: TONS of VEGAN Options, Shitake Meat Substitute
gildthatlily
gildthatlily

Best burrito ever

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2008

I went to Ranchos on August 9, 2008 and loved the atmosphere. It's warm and festive, and the staff is incredibly friendly. I ordered a shiitake pattie burrito and it was the best burrito I have ever had. I don't know what they do to those shiitake mushrooms, but they somehow transform into something similar to pulled pork barbecue. It was also huge, and I only got halfway through it (also partly because of the free horchata refills. Free refills! Really delicious.) The guacamole was also great.

cupcakedanielle
cupcakedanielle

blah

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2008

we went to rancho's restaurant once, after high recommendations from friends and online but we where sorely disappointed by the food. the staff was very nice, and it all sounded good on the menu with a lot of options like a vegan cheese quesadilla, but when we got the food it was cold to warm and none of the vegan cheese was even somewhat melted, which made eating the quesadilla pretty nasty. we hardly touched our food and spent over $30 for 2 people. honestly we would have been better off getting $5 veggie burritos at santana's.
The next door market is pretty yummy, they are 100% vegan grocery products (but more expensive then whole foods, so don't recommend doing all your shopping there!) and are switching over to be mostly all raw soon. the market is a good place to grab a quick tofurkey sandwich or make a tofu veggie burrito out of the hot case in the back. however, about 70% of the items listed on the hot case, we have never actually seen made available and when you ask about them they say they dont have them that day, like the pizza and burgers.

Pros: really nice staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: cold food, non melted vegan cheese
  • kristalinn kristalinn

I have the cold and not melted problem myself... but it's hit and miss. Sometimes it's totally melted and hot and delicious. Sometimes they drop the ball. I would say give it another chance and if it comes out that way send it back!

: O)

irlandaise
irlandaise

Great enchiladas!

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2008

The waiter was very friendly, the atmosphere was really fun (old west), the food came fast, and it was delicious! I had a plate with 3 different kinds of vegan enchiladas and I couldn't decide which one was best! Not everything was veggie, but they were very accomodating.

Pros: Fun atmosphere, Vegan friendly, Fast service
Cons: Not 100% veg
Ginny755
Ginny755

Great evening

Posted on 10 / 13 / 2007

The food was good, the waiter pleasant and a customer that goes there regularly surprised us by paying for my husband's and mom's dinners. He left the restaurant before we were able to meet him and we didn't get to thank him.

Cons: go through market from parking lot
secret reviewer
secret reviewer

A San Diego Delight

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2007

Orginally, I walked into the store part of Rancho's and thought I'd made a mistake when reading that it was a restaurant. The little store had LOTS of vegan stuff. I suppose it's the store that's been called "gritty", but there were lots of options for vegans in it that I saw that as negligible. At the store's deli, I bought both kinds of empanadas and a tamale (all vegan). All were good, but the spinach and mushroom empanada did have a slight fishy/ocean/seaweed taste that I didn't care much for. I saw nothing gritty about the restaurant itself. I liked the decor and the atmoshere. I went with family who all enjoyed their dishes [carne asada burrito (not veg), a breakfast plate (not veg), and a salad (veg)]. I ordered corn enchiladas with avocado and was disappointed. The chips and salsa, and the beans and rice were good, and I even got a tiny salad (all good). However, the "enchiladas" were cold and were just soft corn tortillas with nothing but cold guacamole inside and a salsa atop them. I think Ranchos is probably better if you know what to order, other than that one flaw, everything else was really neat. I'm glad Mexican food places exist for vegans! I'd like to go back and try something else.

Pros: atmosphere, more authentic mex, nice staff
Cons: understaffed, cold enchiladas

Dear Owner and Manager of Ranchos Cocina - North Park: