Ramsi's Cafe on the World

Serves meat, veg options available. Offer vegetarian dishes, some which can be made vegan upon request. Half of the menu is vegetarian or vegetarian optional and approx. 30% is vegan or vegan optional. Has vegan desserts and gluten free menu. Smoke-free. The Sunday brunch includes many vegan options, 10am-2:30pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

73Iron
73Iron

Lots Of Options

Posted on 08 / 18 / 2014

This was my favorite place in Louisville for a long time, and is still in my top 5. Evening they offer is good, and it is nice to have options.

Pros: Variety
Cons: A Little Pricy
sarahburnsy
sarahburnsy

It's ok, but not for me...

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2014

I know plenty of people love Ramsi's, it's just not for me. They do offer a few vegan options, but not healthy ones. I do not eat fried foods, and they have a ton! I got the hummus plate, the pita was cold. The hummus tasted like dish water, it was also cold. I also ordered a cup of lentil soup, it tasted like fake onion powder, and he lentils were nothing but mush. My husband order the veggie burger, that had fried green tomatoes on it. I know people loves those, but again, we don't eat FRIED food. He picked those off and did not eat his fries. I did speak with our server about our dissatisfaction, she just said that she was sorry. We both left hungry.

Pros: Vegan Options
Cons: A lot of Fried food, Bad service, Poor food
BuddyWheeler
BuddyWheeler

Love this place

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2013

This is one of my families go-to vegan friendly spots in Louisville. Great food (if a bit greasy) and friendly service. The East meets South Fajitas and the Egyptian Kitchen are our favorites. The Sunday brunch is a vegan delight, biscuits and gravy, scrambled tofu, black bean cakes, French toast and more!

Pros: Great food, Good service
Cons: A little pricey - but worth it, Can be loud

sesk
sesk
  • herbivore

Good Food, Bad Service

Posted on 08 / 24 / 2013

The atmosphere at Ramsi's was lovely. My husband and I chose this place as he is carnivorous and I am an herbivore. They have an eclectic menu for all tastes. Unfortunately, our server was extremely spacey and had very poor knowledge of the menu. Our food took over 30 minutes to arrive; they were not busy at all, and we both ordered only sandwiches. My food came completely different than how my server described and was not edible with my diet. My replacement took almost 20 minutes.

Pros: Eclectic Menu, Lots of vegetarian and vegan options, Atmosphere
Cons: Poor Service, Slow
Saramste
Saramste

A Good Option for Vegans and Non-Vegans Alike!

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2013

Ramsi's has quite an extensive, diverse, Vegetarian/Vegan Menu. I've tried a few of the dishes, and I have not been disappointed. It's a good place to have a large get together -- especially when those gatherings include "skeptical non-vegans" (individuals skeptical about eating vegan food); there's something for everyone!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 23, 2008

Just wanted to ensure I updated this review appropriately . . . My husband and I LOVE THIS PLACE. Ramsi's has gotten better and better over the years. Wonderful/flavorful/delicious vegan options! New menu items every time I come into town. Amazing vegan selection served on the Sunday brunch buffet. I *absolutely* make time every time I'm in town to eat at Ramsi's multiple times, and always try to schedule at least enough time on a Sunday to eat the brunch! Wish I could transplant a version of this restaurant to the DC area! Love it! If I could give this place 5 stars I would!

Pros: Multiple Vegan Options, Excellent Food, Friendly Staff
Cons: Busy
LHA
LHA
  • non-vegetarian

Fantastic!

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

Recently ate at Ramsi's for the first time. We were a group of all ages with some vegetarians and some not, but everyone loved what they got. Every dish was fantastic! I had the fish tacos which were out of this world. Terrific service and just the best experience ever. The atmosphere is so interesting also, with art and artifacts from all over the world. Truly worth going back to, and we live 80 miles away. Best restaurant I have eaten in in quite some time.

Pros: food--terrific, service--excellent, atmosphere-inviting and interesting
Cons: none!
sbthax
sbthax

Amazing food!

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

I ordered the Sari Wrap, and was delighted with the complex flavors of the wrap, and many vegetables inside. It was more than I could eat, and to my disappointment, I did not have room for one of the vegan desserts after my meal!

andreafbe
andreafbe

Hit or miss both on foood and service

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

I ate here 3 times during my stay in Louisville. Both for lunch and dinner and when it was crowded and pretty empty. There are many vegan choices on the menu so no worries there but both the food and service were spotty on each visit. I'd still go here again if I were in Louisville.

Pros: Many vegan choices
Cons: Inconsistent food quality, Spotty service
rmills12
rmills12

What a discovery!

Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

We heard about this place from friends and stopped in there when we were in town from Lexington. They have a ton of great vegan choices and will make a lot more for you. You have to get the "Egyptian Kitchen". It is stupid good, and it comes with a spicy harissa that will blow your skirt up. We will def come back to try more and more items from the vegan selection.

Pros: Food
phoray
phoray

Jack of All Trades, Master of None

Posted on 12 / 25 / 2011

I've gone here three times, and mostly enjoyed what I have gotten with a few exceptions. I've tried three main dishes, and a handful of appetizers. I love their Veggie panini.

The thing about it is that, if offers a little bit of everything to the point it makes you wonder... Indian options, but there are amazing Indian food places in town I'd rather go for Indian food. Ethiopian options, but there is an amazing Ethiopian place, why not go there? Greek, same story.

What this place IS great for is a group of mixed (omni and vege) people or a group of picky people. Or maybe you have no idea where you want to go, no special flavors you're seeking, this place will get you covered. As a flavor seeker eating singly or going as a couple, I'd seek the "specialty," elsewhere.

The prices were standard. They seem to often be out of their dessert options.

Pros: Plentiful options
Cons: Sell out on dessert, busy = loud
  • phoray phoray

Follow up: Their Sunday Brunch Buffet is amazing. I will return for it again, that's for sure.

• phoray phoray

January 7th 2013:::::
    Ramsi's is not the same as it used to be, and they openly admitted to a new menu for the 2013 year. They are not as vegan friendly; there are at least three fewer choices for vegans. An example, the fahitas used to have a seitan option, now it doesn't. Not like it matters, they are almost always out of the seitan and I have, 75% of my visits, had to settle on a 2nd or 3rd choice because they were missing key ingredients for menu options, restricting vegans even further to "upon availability, you can order this."

We had the jakarta rings, but they were different from what I'd gotten before. The breading was thicker, which led to more oil being on each bite. Even one order split among 4 people was making my tummy go "ew". I looked forward to the Veggie sandwich, as I'd had it before at a previous visit. I recall a lightly oiled grilled squash mushroom sandwich with pretty much no add ons over a year ago. But mine came with fake cheese and Vegainaise and glistening oily vegetables with a huge side of oily potatoes; the rosemary so heavily used as to make it bitter and taste burnt. I skipped eating them and decided that in spite of the tummy ruckus that I'd get the vegan Devil's Food Trifle they have since I don't go often and I remember really liking it. It hadn't changed, but super sweet pudding on top of oily vegetables led to an ultimate disagreement (I was nauseous leaving the restaurant). A table mate got the shanghai stir fry. The tofu was over fried to the point of weird chewiness and soooo salty it was crazy.

I won't be going back at all. Why would I go to a barely vegan friendly oily mess of cooking?

amarello
amarello

Best breakfast ever!

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

Went for their Sunday lunch and it was amazing! They have as many vegan as non-vegan options and everything we tried was delicious. I had biscuits and gravy, huevos rancheros, sausage, a ton of fresh fruit, and chocolate mousse for desert. Can't say enough good things. Its a good thing I don't live here or I would pig out there too often.

Gorillawar
Gorillawar
  • herbivore

A must if in Louisville!

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2010

This place is what most restaurants should aspire to be. The wait staff was very friendly and they appeared to be genuinely concerned with the happiness of the diners. Every visit to Louisville gets a visit to Ramsi's (sometimes multiples). The Sunday bufft is ridiculous. Lots of choices and some of the best fried green tomatoes I have ever had. They even make a vegan remoulade that is completely delicious. Breakfast tacos, vegan sausage, dumplings, scrambled tofu(not the best), homefries, etc. The owner is a very nice man and very humble. He is a man who likes to feed people and see them enjoy their food. I didn't even know he was the owner and he was getting berries for my son special without the whipped cream. Crowdedd sometimes but that's the mark of a good joint. I really can't say enough good things about Ramsi's. Awesome place and awesome experiences. Love it, love it, love it.

Pros: great food, great variety, great staff
Cons: tofu scramble needs work
ashbar
ashbar

Unique & delicious

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2010

I've eaten at Ramsi's many times, both before I became vegetarian & since. It's one of the few restaurants in Louisville that has a vegetarian/vegan menu beyond veggie burgers, salads, & pasta. In fact, it has so many options that it's difficult to choose! The menu is huge & many meat items can be made veg.

Most recently, I had the Thai Noodles (ask for chili sauce to give it extra spice) & the Roasted Vegetable Masala. Both were excellent! The Old World Hummus appetizer is fantastic too.

I highly recommend this restaurant. In addition to the many veg options, it's in a cool neighborhood! Also, all of Louisville businesses are now NON-SMOKING.

Pros: Many veg options, Good value, Large portions
briank
briank

Eclectic and extensive menu

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2010

We discovered this place while driving through Louisville a year or two ago, and make a point to visit every time we come back to Louisville. Ramsi's is often very crowded, and service isn't always fast - but the staff is always friendly and seems to be quite knowledgeable about their extensive and eclectic menu. Ramsi's also has a nice selection of vegan & vegetarian items - and items that can easily be made vegan - all clearly marked on the menu.

Their fresh focaccia is a signature appetizer, and comes in several varieties. The vegan version features pesto, tomatoes, and their homemade vegan "feta", which is nicely tangy and is quite filling. The sandwiches we've tried have all been excellent, including the seitan parmesan panini, the grilled vegetable panini with its incredibly flavorful vegan basil mayo, and the smoked pita, featuring a perfect mix of portobellos, onions, and artichoke hearts.

Pros: Lots of choices, Friendly staff
Cons: Slow service
ellen and alan
ellen and alan

Great Place

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2009

I was in Louisville for work and did not expect much in the way of vegan food. I have to say this place was awesome. They had options to choose from and a great atmosphere. I had the Seitan "Chicken" sandwich and it was delicious and huge (enough for two). I tried to get the carrot cake for dessert but they were out.

Would definately go back!

Pros: atmosphere, location, service
Cons: not all vegan
rccourtney
rccourtney

Yummy veg options

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2009

Lots of vegetarian and vegan options. We had the seitan and eggplant panini, eggplant Parmesan and tempura as well as a spinach salad which was excellent. Portion sizes are large which could be a pro or a con. One drawback was that they were out of numerous kinds of beer that they had on the menu. Waitress kept coming back to report recent selection was out. Finally on the fourth try, we were able to order a beer that they had in stock.

Pros: Good value, Lots of veg options
Cons: many beers not in stock
kyvegan
kyvegan

Creative vegan menu! LOVE the Sunday brunch!

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2008

I went to Ramsi's for their breakfast buffet on Sunday and was blown away by the vegan selection! Not only do they have the staples (tofu scramble, pancakes, etc) but they take a brilliantly creative approach to add a delicious twist to the standards. Where else can you get vegan pigs in a blanket? Or plantain french toast?? All of the vegan options were clearly marked, and there was even vegan chocolate pudding on the dessert bar (I folded some into my pancakes to make impromptu chocolate crepes--yum!). This rivals any of the vegan breakfast places I have visited in bigger cities, and gives you way more bang for the buck. I understand the policy but, in this specific case, I wish that Happy Cow allowed for 5 star rating on non-vegetarian restaurants. I feel like Ramsi's offers an entire menu's worth of vegan fare!

Pros: vegan brunch!, great location & value, perfect for dining with non-vegans
Cons: none!
dmlones
dmlones

Delightful Everything

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2007

Both cozy and airy, Ramsi's is delightful. The food is quite eclectic. The tempura is some of the best. The goat cheese salad is also really good.

Pros: Generous portions, Nice atmosphere, Great part of Louisville
jillian
jillian

great place for vegans and non-vegans alike!

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2007

This is the kind of place a vegan with non vegan family members or friends (which is basically all of us) dreams of! There are several vegan options including fantastic tomato and pesto bread - almost like vegan pizza- and seitan parmigiana - like a meatball sub. Do not REPEAT do not order the jamaican jerk sandwhich! The spices are really weird and basically inedible. We think they might put licorice in it. Overall, a fantastic surprise!

Pros: huge portions, vegan cheese, upscale atmosphere
Cons: jamaican jerk sandwhich!, yuck!
amysaundersbigelow
amysaundersbigelow

Eclectic Menu

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2007

This place is very easy to get to whether you are taking the bus or driving. It is right on Bardstown Road, across from the Midcity Mall (movie theather, library, ValuMarket). They have a new menu featuring items with homemade seitan and vegan mayo and vegan cheese. The panini sandwich has been my favorite so far. This is a great place to take non-veg friends. Surprisingly, many have been tempted by the veg options anyway! They pride themselves on having options representin many cultures. You will get so many wonderful recipe ideas just by reading the menu. I get something different every time, and am always happy. I like spicy food, but found the jerk seitan just a little too spicy in a weird way. The house salad for 2.95 is always so big it is spilling off the plate with dark greens and the biggest variety of veggies that EVER makes it into a house salad. This is one of my favorite restaurants in ANY city.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Great selection, Huge portions
Cons: Busy
xsamx
xsamx

Completely updated menu: now vegan friendly!

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2007

Ignore the "not vegan friendly" review! Ramsi's has completely updated their menu thanks to the helpful vegan cook Zachary. They now feature many, many dishes that come with vegan options including vegan "beef" and vegan "cheese" options. I personally recommend the Yucca Marsala with vegan beef and the "Vegan Original" which is this Focaccia bread with flavored tofu as the feta cheese - it's a bread that is truly amazing.

Pros: very vegan-friendly, excellent wait staff, convenient location
Cons: long waits on weekends
Tylerxtrue
Tylerxtrue

UPDATED VEGAN MENU

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2007

Recently they just updated their vegan items, and added quite a bit. Still no vegan desserts, but that is forgivable. I recommend the "Jamaican seitan sandwich." Great eats! If you go on the weekend, be prepared to wait for your table.

Pros: Great mock meats, awesome spices
Cons: Large smoking section, sometimes subpar service
etherealviolet
etherealviolet

The Always Reliable Ramsi!

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2007

I have been eating at Ramsi's for over 7 years now. Ramsi has come a long way and while he use to have a small and limited vegan selection, I was in yesterday (after a bad 3rd Ave Cafe experience) and the menu is loaded with double the amount of his items that use to NOT be able to be veg or vegan friendly which are now veg and vegan friendly. Loads more! I cannot wait to try the dishes my husband loves but a vegan version! And they are so accomadating to my kids when we order a basket of tofu and fries for them! Even though it's not listed on the menu as an actual item. No questions asked! They will do the best they can to make you happy and I have never had any bad service.

Also, Ramsi's now offers a non smoking section and outdoor eating too! Way to go Ramsi!

Pros: more kid friendly now, more vegan friendly now, WONDERFUL staff!
Cons: A little pricey, busy/crowded in peak hrs

Dear Owner and Manager of Ramsi's Cafe on the World: