Hare Krishna affiliate vegetarian eatery. Offers a display of sweets and pastries as well as savory food like rice and vegetable dishes. Near corner of Barona and Gertrudes iela, across from Martas iela. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Bakery, Fast food, Take-out
Krisjana Barona 56
Riga, Latvia 1011

Open Mon-Fri 10am-8pm, Sat-Sun 11am-7:30pm.

• Cash only

First Review by juliotnunes
zajec
zajec

Spices

2 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2014

Rama is mainly offering vegetarian options. Almost everything using Indian spices and flavours.
The taste is fine, however, since I value health over taste(for ex. no fried food goes down to my tummy) there is almost nothing left to choose from.
The place definitely has some interesting wibe, though, you get very little for moderate price.

Pros: nice indian flavors, location
Cons: unhealthy, one vegan dessert option, religious atmosphere
veggieriga
veggieriga

Good vegetarian food

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2013

They have a happy hour that begins at 7PM and you can get a discount on all the food then. However, by that time most of the food is gone and there are only limited options, so it is only recommended if you are not very picky. The nice thing about this place is they have Latvian vegetarian choices such as vegetarian pelmeni, mushrooms, Latvian soups, etc. On weekdays, you can sit on the second floor and it is much less crowded than the first floor. If you want to eat dinner here, I recommend you go at around 5PM so you still have a lot of food options.

A big plus is that they are open on Sun.

Pros: good food, Latvian choices, open on Sun.
Aya
Aya

Nice food

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

The place is nothing too special, but the food is tasty and it felt good just to sit there and relax after all that sightseeing! ;)
It's not centrally located, but you can walk here from the center (it's not that far) + it's easy to find.
Their shop is nice and cozy, too. I bought some good quality spices there.

4 cows, because the place is not 100% vegan

Pros: Good prices, Nice food, Simple place but good atmosphere
Bakunin
Bakunin

Good food and an oddly atmosphere.

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2011

Don't visit this location if you think, it is important to feel 100% welcome. The staff was a bit rude and not able or in the mood to speak English. The obviously religious background gave me the creeps. On my walk to the dirty and only toilet I got lost, so my walk ended in front of a huge and ugly altar, or something like that.
But I also have to say that the food was really good. We found a buffet with a wide range of mainly vegan food and it was very cleary labeled, if the food was vegan or just vegetarian.
If I find myself in Riga ever again, a second visit at Rama would be guaranteed, because it is simply not very easy to find a restaurant with vegan dishes in Latvia.
4 cow heads for a veg. restaurant in Latvia, means 3 cow heads for a location like Rama in Berlin, Vienna or Stockholm.
By the way: You can over-fill your belly for about 5 Euro there.

Pros: Very cheap., Tasty.
Cons: Hospitality., Hare Krishna nonsense.
PhytoFan
PhytoFan

A Great Spot!

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2010

I thought it was just fine. No linen tablecloths and candles, but a good variety of appetizing veg foods at modest prices. Bright, clean cafeteria-style operation, offering a good selection of hot and cold foods: mains, salads, desserts, drinks. Best veg food in town! Served by competent Krishna womenfolk. A distance from city center, on Barona near Gertrudes, but streetcars 6 and 11 from center go right by it for 70 centimes. I'm going back!

Pros: variety, value, protein!
Cons: distance, not open later

nottanya
nottanya

It's ok.

3 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2010

Rama is a good value if you want a meal at a good price, but I was disappointed by the food. I found it band and uninteresting.

Pros: good value, smoke free
Cons: unexciting food
Swedish soyaballs
Swedish soyaballs

Well...

3 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2009

....I was a little bit disappointed when I visited Rama last week (July 2009). Compared to my visit three years ago the food was not so tasty this time. But, my experience from other Krishna restaurants is that food can differ very much from time to time depending on the people working in the restaurant at the moment. Lets hope for better food next time I visit Riga!

cdrk
cdrk

Nice place

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2009

Good and healthy food (the coco burgers are some of the greatest ever), cheap price.

Pros: tasty food, healthy, nice portions
marnia
marnia

super smashing lovely

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2008

We ended up going back several times during our time in Riga. The food was of very high quality, served cafeteria style. the value for money is the best I have ever experienced. It is however somewhere to eat rather than somewhere for a Romantic meal.

Pros: cheap, delicious, healthy
Cons: busy,, popular, full
Hildatilda
Hildatilda

Excellent and cheap food

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

I was here with my family (husband and kids aged 3 & 7) on July 8 and 9 for lunch. This place is very good value and has healty vegan and vegetarian food. It can be a bit full at lunch time and a bit stressy if you have to ask about the food. But very good food that everybody could eat and liked.

When I was planning a group trip to Latvia this winter I called them to make a reservation. But since they close at 7 p.m this was not an option for us. Then the person I spoke to in English told me about the other veggie rest. in Riga, Kamala and recommended me to go there (!). He even gave me the phone number. Very helpful and unselfish.

Pros: Good value, Healthy food, Helpful staff
Stevie
Stevie

Rama, Riga

4 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2008

I haven't been myself but a friend who has been told me the following by email:-

"I went to this Rama healthy food place!!! Fantastic!!! food was lovely! I'll be
going back one day soon."

Pros: Lovely food
kamikazekid
kamikazekid

Cheap and cheerful

4 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2007

The emphasis isn't on ambience or mood lighting and the staff aren't the most helpful ever encountered but for cheap plentiful (mostly) vegan food you won't find much better in Riga. If you have a vegan passport it may be helpful in Rama as I struggled to explain veganism without it! Everything's priced item by item and is all very very cheap and for a good cause. Especially recommend the homemade ginger tea!

Pros: Cheap, Plentiful, Tasty
Cons: Not particularly central
juliotnunes
juliotnunes

Rama

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2007

There is a small section for vegans. The staff speaks English and there is a little shop below the restaurant where some cruelty-free products are sold

Pros: healthy, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Rama: