Rainbows End Cafe

Glastonbury's first and original vegetarian cafe. Bakes cakes on the premises. Has a courtyard garden. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, English, British, Mediterranean, Bakery, Take-out

First Review by Mimi
lizipfe
lizipfe

Little place of magical food

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2013

Wow I had been told to eat at this restaurant from a resident at the ashram and boy am I glad I took the advice. I arrived very hungry and was in awe of all the lovely looking food displayed infront of me I didn't know what to choose and ended up having to ask for help! I got the meze plate which consists of a slice of something yummy ( I opted for the vegan slice) a green salad and then 4 extras ( the vine leaves and the raw cauliflower and potato peanut butter salad NEEDS to be tried by everyone!!!) and on top of that some rye bread, I was told it would fill me up and then more and the staff weren't wrong. So many lovely flavours going on! I even went back the next day to have my desert (lemon cheesecake) as I couldn't fit it in! The staff were amazing and so friendly thank you for a lovely afternoon!

Pros: big portion sizes, great flavour combinations, good value
Cons: only open during the day
trinitybourne
trinitybourne

Good for vegans too

4 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2011

I've lived in Glastonbury for a few years and the Rainbows End seems to be a favourite eatery of many of our visitors. There are always plenty of vegan options (including dessert slices and cake). The mix and match salad/hummus/garlic or baked potato choice is usually a good choice if you aren;t sure what to have. The prices are good. It's often busy during peak times of peak season but I have never found this to be a problem. Always worth the wait. My 12 year old son really loves it in here. If the weather is warm then there is a small outdoor eating area too.

There is even a 'sugar free' vegan date slice if you don't eat refined sugar.

Careful not to miss it. It is on the left hand side of the High Street. Look for the small sign menu board outside.

Pros: Price, vegan options, nice staff (usually)
lovintheveg
lovintheveg

Nice eatery in Glastonbury

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2010

Rainbows End is my favorite restaurant in Glastonbury. Great place to grab a lunch. It's almost easy to miss if you're not paying attention as you're going down the street. It is a bit congested but it's worth it.

Pros: yummy food
Deli Katesen
Deli Katesen

A mixed bag

3 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2010

Rainbows End is a bit of a throwback to 80s vegetarianism - stodgy food that's sometimes unimaginative. On the flip side, the dishes are often excellent, the portions are large, and the salads frequently varied. The things that let this cafe down are the inconsistency in quality and the consistently luke-warm meals. Also, the portions are often TOO generous - I struggle to get through a meal. I'd be happy to pay less for a smaller plate. The queueing system at the counter is also a problem - if you decide after eating that you have space for desert, you may have to queue 15 mins to get it (or another drink).

Pros: Reasonable prices, decent food, Atmosphere
Cons: Inconsistent, luke-warm food, queueing system
marnia
marnia

We keep going back for more!

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2009

This is the second review we have done as we have made so many return trips we felt we had to say more. We have taken to driving the 28.6 miles down on a regular basis.
There are regular changes to the menu and its very filling.
We find the food delicious, its rich without being too rich, and it tastes wholesome, but not too wholesome.
The only problemI have had is getting the journey down to coincide with my favourite meal being on the menu-stilton mushroom and walnut pie.
The Mezze is always on the menu and is superb.
The cake display gives a wonderful feeling of abundance, and the portions are big.
As a previous reviewer said its not got a huge vegan selection, but not mny places do really.
Give it a go, PLEASE!

Pros: good flavours, good value
Mimi
Mimi

Little Choice for Vegans

2 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2008

Had been looking forward to visting this cafe. However was disappointed, only one vegan main (which wasn't very nice, small portion), and no soya milk. Fortunately, a wholefood shop along the street meant that we could get soya milk and enjoy a pot of tea. Chocolate brownie/traybake was very good. Menu not thought through - the shepherd's pie had cheese melted on the mash - without this it would have been vegan. Also the cafe was very cramped, tables very close together, and I kept being knocked and barged into. Bizarrely there is a key system for the single loo . . . a bit odd tracking down the key and passing it to other customers in the queue.

Probably okay for veggies . . . but not a great choice for a hungry vegan.

Pros: Chocolate brownie
Cons: Cramped, Not much for vegans, No soya milk

Dear Owner and Manager of Rainbows End Cafe: