Serves meat, veg options available. Radiance Restaurant at Spa Samui Resorts. Also offer raw food (salads, desserts). Clean space, inside the spa resort. Open Mon-Sun. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Raw, International, Western, Juice bar, Non-veg

First Review by Miggi
spidermike
spidermike

Prices have hit the roof. I will not remain loyal

3 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2014

The food here is still excellent. But over time, the portions are getting smaller, and just recently the prices went up anywhere from 10% to 100%, depending on the item. Why, one is forced to ask? When the economy is so fragile worldwide, and so many people i know are really watching their budgets, what on earth would compel these people to make such an aggressive move? What is the thought process here? Was there any at all, or was this a knee jerk reaction to the influx of new Russian and Chinese tourism? For someone who has been visiting the spa beach restaurant a couple of times a week, for years now, I think they have forced me to do a rethink. May be a once a month special occasion kind of thing. The hotdogs are 190 baht! 300 baht for the burrito! What are they thinking? The burrito is more expensive than in California, and half the size, and not even comparable in quality. It was already a bit on the expensive side for some dishes. Now, it has become a lot more expensive. I used to order the fried yellow noodles. They used the home made, thick noodles. Now, they use a packaged noodle, found in Mama soup! When I called them on it, they denied they ever used the good noodles. What am I stupid? Call in the psychologists. Someone needs therapy. Looks like the owners have lost their minds.

Pros: Good food, On the beach, tasty food
Cons: ridiculously overpriced, portions getting smaller, neither the food nor the place is either
JohnGalpin
JohnGalpin

Rude Servers and Manager

2 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2013

The food is o.k. to below average I've been here twice and ordered 6 dishes. The chefs and cooks arent raw vegans--this is evident when you see the food. Heads up: don't try to send anything back unless you've first braced yourself for the wait staff to unleash their inner jerk. I ordered the coconut lemongrass soup, broth soup, and fresh vegetable salad. After eating the small salad and broth soup, I tasted the coconut soup and it was loaded with salt--pretty typical for this Thai dish as I understand it. The menu did not mention that it had a lot of salt so I said, "I can't eat this because I'm on a diet that restricts my salt intake." The server immediately expressed her annoyance with this apparently outlandish request and said in a very rude, whiny voice, "You know this is a Thai dish. It has salt. The menu doesn't list all the ingredients." She pushed the bowl toward me and I had to repeat 4 or 5 times, I'm not going to eat this. I'm sorry, it was a misunderstanding." Then the restaurant manager came out and he was even more rude and unpleasant. He said, "I tasted the soup and it tastes great." I said again that salt is not something that I can eat in large quantities because of my health. He then had the nerve to say, "You are perfectly healthy." I told him I was offended and said I would like to speak with him and the manager of the resort. He then said, "I think you sent it back because you ate too much already." So he called me a liar.
This staff works at a place where many of the patrons are trying to heal themselves by carefully deciding what to put into their body. I have a weak kidney and have been trying to heal myself with a low salt, no oil, raw food diet for the past 1.5 years. In addition, I had just completed a 21 day coconut water fast two days before this incident so I was still weaning myself into my normal diet. The wait staff pressured me into consuming more salt than I normally consume in an entire week because they assumed I was lying instead of trying to be healthy. I am completely astonished by their lack of understanding as to where many of the resort's patrons are coming from. It shows poor training of their employees and the wait staff's underlying negative attitude toward westerners who are trying to live in a way that is different than the way they live.

Pros: prices reasonable, nice sea breeze
Cons: rude wait staff, poorly made raw foods
  • Oh Caro Oh Caro

I have to agree with you, JohnGalpin, that the food can be surprisingly salty at Radiance. I'm not following any special diet, I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian. Just yesterday, I ordered the ranchero breakfast, which comes with a nice portion of very tasty but very salty beans. I was surprised as I would have thought that all meals at Radiance should be low sodium. I've eaten plenty of other dishes from there, all well seasoned, and probably with a lot more salt than necessary, but those beans really made me notice how generous cooks are with salt here. The dish I had wasn't even Thai so that shouldn't be their excuse. The chef and cooks really need to adapt their recipes. And I bet it isn't even that hard. Dishes are already loaded with other wonderful flavours that they should not require so much salt in the first place. I'm certain people would continue to eat there.

As for the wait staff, I cannot comment on that. I agree with you, JohnGalpin, that the staff should be better educated in addressing patrons' varying and unique health requirements, certainly in a much less judgemental way.

Chia
Chia

Pretty Good

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2012

Ate here on a past trip to Thailand. It's one of the few places on this island that offers many vegetarian choices. The food tasted fresh, and they also served brown rice.

Pros: veg-friendly, fresh, ocean view
Cons: not cheap

Funax
Funax

Wow, create place

4 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2012

lot of create meals, with price like all thai food, very cheap, salat, greenpeace curry, water only 170 bth, this is perfect (about 4€).

Pros: Very friendly, Nice lokation, Very big vegan menu and allthough other
Cons: Nothing
AkashaBertozzi
AkashaBertozzi

great food !

4 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2011

beautiful spot on the beach, nice surrounding and people, great salads and vegan raw food, big portions and not expensive. we loved it*

Agenda
Agenda

Great place to visit!

4 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2011

It's really nice place with good settings, very long and clear menu. Prices are not high for Samui. 40 baht for delicious fried rice, much more for raw food (150-200 baht). There are lots of fasting people ordering broth and coconuts :) You can sit right on the beach, enjoying soft sand under your feet.

Pros: Delicious, Not expensive in average, So big menu
simdel
simdel

An amazing menu

4 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2010

Two of us had lunch here and was amazed by the size of the menu and the huge variety. Everything is clearly labelled and gives the diner a clear indication of the benefits of each particular meal. I had hommous for an appetiser (a very generous portion with carrot sticks etc for only 40 baht), a raw veggie burger meal for mains (absolutely delicious - grains, veggies, salad, an amazing sauce reminiscent of plenty of ACV and liquid aminos with lemon), a shot of wheatgrass and a juice. My partner equally enjoyed a super pasta dish. It is a shame that there are a few fish items on a seperate part of the menu, but the wealth of vegan and veggie food is incredible. The restauraunt itself was spotless, with lots to read while waiting for the food to arrive.
The only downside was that it is in Lamai, which sadly is sleaze central and a detriment to Samui as a whole.

Pros: The choice, the price, the restaurant ambience
Cons: It's in Lamai (yuk!), There are meat items on the menu
VeganAngels
VeganAngels

Best Vegan Restaurant in Samui

4 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2009

Huge vegan, vegetarian and raw food menu. The menu was excellent, offered a huge variety of food to choose from suiting all types of lifestyles and diets. The menu clearly indicates raw, vegan, vegetarian, candida diets etc. It is by far the best Vegan restaurant on Ko Samui and the food is fabulous. Favourite menu items to choose include the raw cheesecake and raw pizza. Enjoy!!

Pros: Veg/Vegan/Raw food options , Beach Location, Fair Prices
Cons: Needs Aesthetic Revamping, Staff could improve customer service
Louie
Louie

My favourite restaurant in Samui

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2009

The restaurant here at the Spa Samui Resort is actually called 'Radiance' and it's such a shame it's not fully vegetarian (there are some fish and chicken dishes on the menu) so that I can give it five stars. There was so much to choose from that I visited on several occasions after a nice walk along the beach - sometimes twice a day! - and never got bored. My fave dishes were the very tasty and very healthy brown rice salad, the veggie 'hot dog' for a naughty treat, the spring rolls and the pesto spaghetti (although the portion size of this dish was not quite as large as the others :-)). Wash any of these down with a refreshing lime and honey cooler and you're fit to take more of the Thai humidity.

Pros: Extremely extensive menu, Friendly, helpful staff, Beautiful setting on the beach
Cons: Do serve some non veggie dishes
A
A

Good to try

3 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2008

A good place to try for vegeterian fare in Samui.
HOWEVER, many of the dishes are grease pit fare, and overly laden with oil and salt.
Portions are huge, even small size.
The brown rice salad, cow daeng pot, and steamed vegetables are yummy.
Staff were a bit sour. This is is not a luxury resort.
Love their Dalmatian dog.
Do recommend the Spa grocery store, near the Spa Beach. A great selection of health foods there!!

Pros: good vegetarian to try on Samui
Cons: too much oil and salt, staff impolite
Miggi
Miggi

Best restaurant in Samui

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2008

Spa Samui is a very friendly relaxed spa resort on the beach. We're vegan, stayed there twice and had no problem finding variety on the menu. It's probably the best place for veggies to stay in Samui and there's a good choice of accomodation at the resort. Also, although termed a "resort" it's a relaxed hippy hang out rather than the kind of torment the term resort often implies.
The restaurant is on the beach. you can sit at wooden tables actually on the beach or at chunky tables on a large veranda. The service is excellent, happy and friendly.
The food is brilliant, from the best thai green curry in the world, to sweet potato mash with sweet & sour, to the veggie fried rice in half a pineapple. The "Softies" made from frozen fruit for dessert are really good as are their smoothies with coconut milk.
Everything tastes fresh and is well presented. And the prices are really reasonable.
Try the steam room and massage before you eat!
Weirdly enough, for a place that serves such great food, the Spa specializes in colonic irrigation and fasting. This means you see some weird things on the menu that people on this programme can drink while looking smug. We ignored them!
If you stay there you can join in stuff like yoga, meditation and tai chi on the beach. Also go into Lamai and visit the Ska Bar if it's still in business - great atmosphere and seems to one one of very few that aren't part of the sex industry.

Pros: Perfect relaxed beach setting, Happy friendly staff, Fantastic food
Cons: Wish they didn't also serve meat

Dear Owner and Manager of Radiance Restaurant: