All organic, vegan, and raw food menu. Price: Expensive more-less

loloford
loloford

OMG!

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

i jusy had a blast at this restaurant.
the minipizette was fantastic, and i would have tried everything if i could.
the waitress was very nice and service very prompt.
the tiramisu was too much after such a meal, even if the quantities don't seem huge, it's very filling

Pros: quality, taste, raw
Cons: pricey
leslienyc
leslienyc

Modern Vegan Cuisine

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2013

Food is fresh and tasty. Variety of choices so everyone can be happy. Personally, I really enjoy this restaurant.

Seating is tight, so it's best to go with party of 4 or less.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff
Cons: Few Seats

Tami A.
Tami A.

NOT Recommended!!

2 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2012

This place deserves a terrible rating due to the lack of hospitality, service and racial tension experienced! A friend of mine and I (both vegetarians) were in the area this past Saturday evening and decided to stop in to grab a bite to eat. This place was tiny but cozy. As soon as we walked in, we were seated immediately. There was one female waitress waiting on two tables and a cashier at the desk. The waitress approached our table once we sat, placed down 2 menus and 2 glasses of water in front of us, then walked away without greeting us (first sign of incorrect steps of service). My friend and I sat there looking through the menu trying to figure out what we were going to order. 15 min past and we still weren't greeted and our drink orders still weren't taken. We patiently waited, watching our waitress pass us numerous times to attend to the other two tables. After watching our waitress as well as the cashier avoid eye contact and avoid taking our orders while proceeding to serve two tables, we became frustrated but still sat patiently. We were deliberately being ignored. My friend and I have worked in a restaurant, so we are both familiar with the steps of service and this "service" was clearly in their training "manual". This place wasn't busy at all! It was so obvious that they were ignoring us. After 15 min of not being greeted, attended to and clearly ignored, we decided to leave. While we were putting on our coats, the waitress then decided to approach our table asking us if we were ready to place our orders!...?? We ended up walking out without eating! I have never experienced this type of service anywhere! We're approaching 2013! These workers were clearly trained by the Owners and/or Manager to attend to our race (African American) in this manner! We were furious and extremely disappointed by the lack of hospitality, poor service, and the racial tension that we experienced, as we were looking forward to enjoying a great dinner. Our first and last visit to Quintessence!

Cons: Service, Racial Tension
zeebianco
zeebianco

a real RAW gem in NYC

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

Wasnt sure what to expect. But very friendly welcome (at lunchtime it was just me and a couple of other customers). Relazing "new age" music and film soundtracks and free filtered water added to the "health" vibe. The menu is really interesting and it took me ages to choose something as it all looked so good. Went for the raw superfood soup and raw "bread" with vegan pesto & salad. Was all really delicious and surprisingly filling. Followed up with a smoothie made with almond milk which again was beautifully done. Wasnt the cheapest meal of its kind but you see how much care and attention had gone into it and it was made fresh to order so I guess its worth it! I would recommend to all but the most budget conscious. Delicious.

Pros: Fresh & lovely, Made to order, Great service
Cons: Bit pricey
zenmaestro
zenmaestro

yum. yum. for the tum.

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

ever enjoy a meal that each savoury bite reminds you of love? that's how I felt thru much of this meal. awesome mostly raw food spot. love the atmosphere. seats less than 20. cozy. raw food dishes simply offer more flavor. i taste nuances in flavors of food. q's creations provide an explosion of tickles in my mouth. my 5-course meal leaves me stuffed and in bit of trance. fortunately, all the live enzymes in raw meals mean it will digest properly. feel like a cigarette now. ;-D highest recommendation.

Pros: yummie dishes, super service, good value
buttaflyrawka
buttaflyrawka

Eyes Bigger Than Stomach

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2011

Freshly raw, I was excited to try a few places. I was only in New York for 2 days on business, but I made sure to make my way down to this restaurant. My friend and I met there and were met with a lovely server who was well versed in every cleanse/detox there was under the sun, which helped because my friend was doing a candida cleanse. So he was able to recommend specific dishes that would be within her restrictions. This was the first time I've ever met a server that was so helpful and understanding. The food was to die for! I LOVED it! There were pages of choices, so much to choose from! I ended up getting the Big Moc and a salad, I got a juice and some of the garlic bread. Needless to say, my eyes were bigger than my stomach. It was soo good, I HIGHLY recommend going.

Pros: Food, Service
Loulou
Loulou

no longer completely raw

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2011

Pity they don't take reservations here.
We went there twice during our stay to New York. The first time we managed to get a table and tried the Indian Platter and Mexican Platter which where delicious. The second time we tried to book in advance but they said they didn't take reservations but where assured they would fit us in.
We arrived and where told a table would be available in 10mins, nearly 40mins later we where still waiting outside (as it's such as small place you can't wait inside).
If we'd have known it would have been longer than 10mins we would probably have ordered a take away so where a bit disappointed once we finally got a table. The food was very good on both occasions but they do now also serve cooked food.

Pros: tasty food
Cons: very small, could end up waiting ages for a table
Take It Back
Take It Back

Best raw food restaurant I know!

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2010

Raw food doensn't get better than this. One of the best restaurants in the world. Try the Pizzettes, they are mind-blowing!

veganaurora
veganaurora

Sublime eating experience

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2010

My boyfriend is trying to eat more raw and is trying to get me into it too. I have to say that if I could eat raw food like this every night I would be a very happy woman. The restaurant is a small, intimate affair. We were lucky getting the best spot by the window. We ordered a small taco to share for starters and it was delicious. But it was nothing compared to the Mexican chilli main. A warm chilli broth with pieces of tender marinated portabello mushroom, with a serving of guacamole, salad and a sort of cornbread. We also shared a sausage pizza but the chilli dish really was the best thing there. To finish we then shared the dessert platter - also yummy but I could have eaten more chilli!

Pros: delicious food, cosy atmosphere
MrsMaggie
MrsMaggie

It was...ok

2 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2010

The first impression I got was that it is very cramped, and it is, there are 2 tables that seat 4 and and then 4 tables that seat 2 all within a very small space so you literally are almost rubbing shoulders. The food was pretty good but a lot of the food I feel is overpriced for the serving you get. For example you get a fairly large burrito and a small taco for $22 although good and filling I don't think it is worth that much. The desert upset me. I bought the valentine boxed candies they were selling for a high price. I got home to find out... they are not vegan!! I would have liked some kind of warning, they used honey in all the chocolate. This makes me wonder what else are they sneaking honey into? I will not go there again and I made sure to call them and complain about selling not vegan items in a supposedly vegan restaurant.

KATHLEEN W.
KATHLEEN W.

Good raw food

3 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2009

I went there for lunch while I was in NYC. It is a good spot for a raw meal.

Pros: good food
Cons: very small eating area, slow service, no parking nearby
sshanon33
sshanon33

Best Tacos in NYC

4 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

Had a late lunch there today and was totally thrilled with the taco platter. I also shared the dessert platter with a friend, and was a little disappointed with the desserts. I will be back for more food, but maybe pass on dessert. Lovely atmosphere, very clean and relaxing.

Pros: Atmosphere, Food, Cleanliness
Cons: Desserts, Price
peterfc10
peterfc10

Quintessence always satisfies

4 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2009

Went here last night and as always --- I leave Quintessence feeling really good.
I really think this place is under-rated; I find their food consistently fresh and full of flavor. And they've gotten bolder with the spices. The trick is to order pretty simply; even though it's all raw some of the recipes can get a little complicated / dense. I had the Peter's Pot soup and a sesame salad and my friend had a delicious butternut squash / walnut concoction -- a little complicated but very tasty.
Of course, it's rather tiny and cramped (NY style) but that's part of the charm..

Pros: Inventive and fresh food, Fair prices (hey - it's NY), Good menu for low density eaters
Cons: A little cramped
Claude
Claude

Small but delightful

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

The restaurant is quite small, but the menu is quite extensive and the food excellent. We had an excellent meal. Really tasty. So much choice you didn't know what to go for. But we were blown away by the bill. It wasn't cheap. Actually, it was really expensive. And we weren't exactly full. But it was an outstanding raw food dining experience. Recommended if it falls within your budget.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, lots of choice for raw foodists
Cons: Expensive, Lack of seating if you go at peak times
ronin1
ronin1

NEVER AGAIN!!

2 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2008

i have visited quintessence a few times with friends and my husband. everytime i go their i am more and more displeased with the service and the food. I had just taken my sister for her 18th birthday their for a raw food meal yet it was a disaster. First off, the place is extremely tiny. People are right on top of you in their and people just walk around very close to your table and food, which makes you feel uncomfortible. Maybe city people like that kind of atmosphere, but not people generally who live in eastern long island and are used to a more private setting with room to breath. The service i have always had a problem with. they always seem very nasty and inconvienanced by the fact that they wait tables and are very unprofessional. they are rude and make you wait a long time before even giving you a menu. the food is also very mediocre. in my 21 years i have been a vegan for 15 and a raw foodist for 2, and in that time you learn proper food combining that this restuarant clearly seems to lack in their creation of dishes. my whole party was discusted at their meal. the dessert was o.k for the most part but the tirumisu tasted like lipstick.... literally.

The high price is expecteed for raw cuisine in nyc, but i feel they neglect to hold up their end of the bargain by making the raw food meal a pleasurable experience. i am extremely unhappy with this last visit and will not be attending quintessence again. i will give pure food and wine a try.

Pros: raw food
Cons: service, food, atmosphere
Fredknows
Fredknows

Very UNenjoyable

2 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2008

We've eaten raw food before, and had happy food experiences in NY at Caravan of Dreams, Rawstar in Brooklyn, and a neat place in Maui. But we found our meal at Quintessence to be very disappointing.

The flavours of the food were poorly coordinated and the dipping sauses had no taste or a bad taste. Several of the entrees overly spiced. The salads were accompanied by a gross tasting green dressing. The desserts were the only saving grace to the meal, but most of our party were so repulsed by what they had already eaten, they could not enjoy them.

A green soup was so bad tasting, it could not be eaten but only tasted and sent back. This set the stage for an indigestion causing meal for 3 out of our party of 4 who definitely wound up eating two many different odd tasting items. A Chic Pea Soc was a overly spiced mix of guash, as was an Indian Platter (probably not the best choice, fake Indian Food). The only passable items was a Mexican PLatter (still guash).

The place is fairly small and it was pretty warm inside as the above the door air conditioner didn't cool the room well. As the other review said, the prices were quite high and the bill also came with an automatic 20% tip attached (gee thanks), although we have no complaints about the service, we prefer to give our own tip.

Pros: Dessert, Attentive Service
Cons: Bad Tasting Food, High Prices, Bad A/C
philjdomm
philjdomm

Expensive and Raw

3 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2008

well, its small....
contemporary setting...

but even the upperclass vegans and raws in the west coast is much cheaper than my two man meal price.

ivorygate
ivorygate

amazing

5 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2007

It is a privaledge and a pleasure to be the first person to review this restaurant. My girlfriend and I took a raw foods voyage into the Northeast, and this ws our first stop in New York City. We came back for food twice more before our short 5 days in New York City ended.

The first evening was dinner, upon which we shared a caviar parfait, replete with chia seeds and tofu made from Irish Moss (aptly titled "fofu"). The next dish was the best one I think I ever had - a raw sausage pizza. I had been pining over the pizza menu with this restaurant, and the walnut sausage tasted exactly like how I remember it. The dessert consisted of their raw pumpkin pie with cashew nut cream.

We followed with lunch a few days later, and then brunch on the morning we had to catch our plane back to Florida. The brunch menu had fofu benedict and fofu Florentine - superb and creative beyond words.

Quintessence has been operating as a raw venture since 1999, the oldest and longest running kind in the city. Raw Soul, Pure Food & Wine, and even Organic Avenue offer superb choices for the raw lifestyle - Quintessence, however, trumps them all. A spectacular dining experience each time.

Pros: atmosphere, prices, food!
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of Quintessence: