Mostly lacto-vegetarian cuisine. Vegans need to give advance notice. Price: Expensive more-less
Lacto, English

Sarah86
Sarah86

Creative Dishes in Cosy Restaurant

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

My friend and I really enjoyed our experience here. The service was friendly, the place was cosy and the food was delicious.

On our visit, all but one of the menu items (starters and mains) was vegan or veganisable - didn't need to notify the restaurant in advance, just asked for vegan versions upon ordering. There were several vegan desserts available too.

I found the menu options to be creative and interesting. Each main comes with a portion of seasonal vegetables and contrary to other reviews, I couldn't finish my meal!

It isn't exactly cheap but in my opinion, it's worth the price.

Pros: Interesting Menu, Friendly and Efficient Staff, Nice Atmosphere
Cons: Slightly Pricey
Topsy
Topsy

Still my favourite restaurant

Posted on 11 / 24 / 2009

I live in London with masses of selection for vegetarions, but the Quince and Medlar is still by far the restaurant that I know of.
The food is wonderful, the service perfect and the ambience excellent. It is really worth the trip north to come here, I just wish I could come up more often.

Hilrig
Hilrig

Quince & Medlar

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2009

We have eaten here as often as possible over the last twenty years and have never seen a main course costing as much as £15 (see Foxtrot's review below - all her reviews seem to be contrary to ever one elses experience!)There are at least six options each for starters mains and desserts and the menus changes every five weeks or so which may explain why the menu is not on the web site. We have never left the reataurant feeling hungry, the service is exmplary, the ambience lovely and the price fully justified.

khb
khb

nice place

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

My experience was different than the previous reviewer's. When I went here, the vegan options were decent, and the portions were pretty generous. Unfortunately, they don't put their current menu on their website, so you can't easily check in advance to see if they have a good vegan selection. Each main dish came with a side of several different seasonal vegetables, all cooked and presented separately. It is a bit pricey, though, and maybe not worth the money for some. But this is one of the places I really wanted to go to on my trip to the Lake District, and I did not leave disappointed.

Pros: nice atmosphere, good food, fresh vegetables
Cons: expensive, website not updated
Foxtrot
Foxtrot

Undeserved reputation

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2007

The kind of place where a main course costs £16, and is mostly based on cheese. The two cheese-free options on our visit were very uninspiring. The portions are pretty small, too.

Pros: location in the lakes
Cons: you'll leave hungry, little for vegans

Dear Owner and Manager of Quince and Medlar: