Quay Co-op Cafe -...

Provides an extensive range of vegan, yeast-free, sugar-free, gluten-free and dairy-free dishes from around the world. Self-service. Also a health food shop. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Irish, International

First Review by Stevie
sixmiles23
sixmiles23

Great cafe for vegans

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2014

Went here twice last week on a short break to Cork. On both occasions I left content and well fed! Plenty of tasty vegan options,and cheap! All the staff I met were helpful, keen and said they were lucky to work in such a great place.
Dined looking over the river in relaxed surroundings.

Can't recommend it highly enough

Pros: good range vegan options
Cons: none
Blueberries
Blueberries

Good hearty vegan lunch in Cork city centre

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2014

I went here on a Sunday afternoon around 3pm. There was one vegan option on the daily menu (lentil burger with tomato snd coconut sauce) and one vegan option on the specials (mixed bean casserole). Both of the hot sides (steamed veg and peri peri wedges) and all of the salads except two were also vegan. I got the lentil burger and two sides with a lemonade, which came to about €10. The food was hearty, medium-spiced and delicious. The café is upstairs with big windows with a view over the river, and has a casual atmosphere. I would definitely recommend it as a causal veg dining option. There were a couple of vegan desserts which seemed to be fruit crumbles but I didn't try them.

Pros: delicious, hearty food, near the city centre, open sundays
Cons: not very many vegan options
Alannahk11
Alannahk11

Good

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2014

I found the staff lovely. The food was not really exiting but still tasty. It did have nice paintings and a good location.

Pros: Nice staff, Tasty food, Good location
Cons: Not exiting enough
Pamina
Pamina

Nice visit

3 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

We came here for lunch when it was still very empty, and first we had trouble understanding the menu options and the system, but the lady at the counter explained everything in a very friendly way.
I chose a salad of white beans and roast potatoes and it was definitely not the best meal I had, but it was ok and the portion was well-sized, so I was really full afterwards. The hot chocolate I had was huge and just delicious. I also really liked the spacious interior of the place and the location on the river, close to St Finbarr's church.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great location & interior, Well-sized portions
Cons: The meal I had wasn't really exciting
DIANE240378
DIANE240378

huge combination of food

3 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2013

This place is only ok, i always find it hard to decide what to have as they have huge combination of foods. I dont like the fake meat stuff&i am vegan so sometimes its not the best. I like the salad &veg though as the portions are big but they always have sauces mixed in with them so again i find it hard to decide. Other than the restaurant i love the venue, i buy lots in food store &health store &i love the notice board with all the health/alternative information. Staff are very helpful&friendly too

Pros: central, vegan options, friendly staff

kkrista
kkrista

Not Disappointed

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2013

I was excited to try this restaurant after reading so many good reviews. Traveling with my mom (meat eater), I hoped she would enjoy the food as well and she did. She had the lasagna and I had the nut burger. Portions were really generous, food was really good and the 2nd story dinner view of the river was awesome. Vegan chocolate cake was also very tasty. Even though it is not full service, after ordering, our food was served and our table was bused afterward before desert.

happyhuman
happyhuman

Always lovely

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2013

This is a really great cafe to support. Lovely food, staff always friendly and in general a lovely atmosphere.

Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Good Location And Good Food

5 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2012

While in Cork, we ate here on two evenings and there were good vegan choices and the food was interesting with good taste although a little on the heavy side. They did serve wine but not beer which seemed a little odd but I guess not in Ireland. The staff was friendly and helpful and the place located on the 2nd floor above the health food store was bright. The place was very busy both nights we were there but still quiet enough to have a conversation.

Pros: Good taste, Good atmosphere, Good location
Cons: Not light food
Aussie_vegan
Aussie_vegan

Great vegan options in Cork

4 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2012

On checking out vegan options for travelling in Ireland (via Happy Cow, of course!) I was pleased to find this cafe close to the centre of Cork. We visited twice for lunch and were very satisfied with the taste and quantity of our meals, the friendly staff, and the comfortable relaxed feel of the cafe. The cafe is on 2 levels with window seating looking out on the activity below.

And to top it off ... 5 vegan dessert options.

Pros: Variety of options, Vegan, Friendly staff
taffboy72
taffboy72

A solid part of Cork City life - not a bad word!

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

If I am in Cork for a week or so, I usually manage to make it a couple of times to this place, which is Cork is lucky to have. It has existed quite a few decades I think, and as such feels very much a part of the fabric of the City's social facet. The fayre and ambience are pretty typical of a a veggie cafe/restaurant - down to the notice board tightly packed with adverts for meditation classes and the like. None of this is a bad thing in my opinion :-) But what is perhaps different from other veg cafes is how spacious it is, over 2 floors as well, and with plenty of light. Often busy-ish with a gentle buzz it is the ideal place to gouch out over the papers on your own or with company. Food range is very good, quality always high. Probably 60% + vegan on mains, less on desert but still should be a few to choose from. You could hardly call it cheap, but neither is it expensive and it is certainly good filling value. A main with 2 decent sides is, I think 10.5E. I have probably been about 20 times and don't recall a single disappointment of any kind(the better half says they should be more regular about having vegan icecream tho :-) Often times it is delicious (maybe it will be a bit of sauce or the way the spuds are roasted, there's usually something unexpected to really stand out from the general quality - last time it was the Burmese noodles for me). Yep - not a bad word to say!

Pros: Very reliable high quality, gently buzzing atmosphere, Solid range, including for vegans
andrea
andrea

Great place

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

Great little place in Cork. There are a nice number of vegan options, and lots of vegan desserts too. My husband got a really nice veggie stew of some kind, with coconut milk I think. I had these nice white bean hazelnut cakes--they were more bean than hazelnut, but nice anyway. The generous sides that come with are awesome. The vegan potato salad: some of the best we've ever had.

Good value, especially for Ireland.

Mr Jefferson
Mr Jefferson

Veggie oasis

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2010

For a city the size of Cork we're lucky to have CafeP as the gourmet evening option and Quay Co-op for everyday. I highly recommend the veggie breakfast although I believe that it is not available all the time.

There are always two daily specials at lunch along with the mains that are there every day. Banoffi pie = best dessert. Coffee cupcakes best with a hot drink as an afternoon snack.

On the down side, the prices have gone up over the years but at least the portions and the food are good. Theres also the shop downstairs which has a nice range of foods.

Pros: Perfect for lunch in the city, Nice layout
Cons: Could be cheaper
sc
sc

lucky to have this in cork

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2010

I go in here quite often and usually have a soup and bread for €5.40 which is reasonable for cork. There cakes are nice but I don't get them too often. The soups are always really nice and the menu changes everyday. The place is casual and always has a nice atmosphere.

Pros: reasonable, healthy, free water
Cons: smallish portions
wildfang
wildfang

A must-go-to in Cork!

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2009

Both me an my partner were so satisfied by this place! We went to Quay Co-op after having had something to eat at Cafe Paradiso but wanted to try some desserts there. Then everything just looked so fresh and delicious we decided to try some cauliflower-coriander soup anyway.
Then we had a vegan chocolate muffin which was awesome and the best vegan blueberry cheesecake (plus cream) I have aver had! Altogether we paid 11,35€ which I think is a reasonable price for something a)vegan and b)fresh in c) Ireland.
We absolutely liked the atmosphere too. The mix of all sorts of different people being there. Just the sort of place you don't find much in Ireland. And then the staff was friendly as hell. If you are in Cork - go there!

Pros: Absolutely delicious food., Friendly staff, Healthy cuisine
drwiz
drwiz

Irish eyes are smiling!

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2009

Very, very good spot. Having eaten vegan in many restaurants, Quay co-op ranks up with the best of them. Not pretentious nor fancy, just plenty of well prepared food, vegetarian, vegan and other. Good selection, fairly priced and generous portions. Cafeteria style and up two small flights of steps. To find it, go to Cork center, north across the bridge and its on the right, next to the firehouse and Cork football store. Very good choice for vegans.

Pros: assortment, price, desserts
Cons: none really
Desinea
Desinea

• non-vegetarian

Wow

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2008

Myself and my Partner went for a meal last saturday night and we are not vegetarian but the food was so fresh and tasty. I had the lasagne tasy moist and delicious my partener had a sweet potato bake that was delightfull. There was a huge selction of fresh salads. We were suprised with the really nice Italian gent that served us, he had a really good knowlege of the food. My partener has a really challenging diet (no sugar,no wheat and no eggs). But we both had a lovely dinner and dessert, i think i might need another page for that.Thumbs up.

Pros: Tasty, Affordable, Friendly
Cons: Informal, Self service, Queing
Petesternz
Petesternz

Great place

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2008

Really enjoyed our visit to the Quay Co-op, which was everything advertised - and the best place we hit in Ireland. It's nothing fancy, but provides loads of healthy, yummy vegan and vegetarian food. Plenty of vegan options, and lots of desserts, salads and other meals. The portions are absolutely immense, so be careful when ordering!

Pros: value, healthy, nice atmosphere
jacqui
jacqui

Lovely food

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2007

Had a lovely and inexpensive lunch here - a large portion of veggie lasagne with salad and great dressing. Cakes are nice too - if you have enough room!!! I also came here for a brilliant breakfast - all tasted fresh and homemade (i.e. not tinned baked beans and homemade style bread). This place is a real gem and I highly recommend it.

Pros: Lovely food, Nice Cakes!, Good atmosphere
Saddler
Saddler

Well worth a visit

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2007

To have one decent vegetarian restaurant in Cork is unexpected but to have two is beyond belief. Actually, this is more of a cafe than a restaurant, though none the worse for that. If we compare it with Cafe Paradiso, it is not as posh and the food, although very good, is not prepared to the same level of attention to detail. However, the atmosphere is good, the people are very friendly and they are aware of what it is to be a vegan. We arrived quite late in the evening as they were about to close but they were very welcoming and we still had a good choice of food and we did not feel they were anything other than pleased to see us. A little gem of a place.

Pros: Friendly, Good food, Something for vegans
DJAlbertFreeman
DJAlbertFreeman

Phenominal

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2006

This place is amazing! Their shop is great, and the cafe itself is just wonderful. The menu clearly states which dishes are suitable for almost any common dietry requirement there is - vegan / vegetarian / sugar-free / gluten-free / yeast-free. And for none of these is imagination or flavour sacrificed!

Pros: amazing food * dietry requirements * variety
Cons: I don't live in Ireland * *

Pros: amazing variety, dietry requirements, organic
Cons: I don't live in Ireland
Stevie
Stevie

Quay Co-op

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

This was a top place when I went. I went with a non vegetarian friend who described the food as delicious. I can't disagree with him. I'd be delighted to eat here again.

Pros: Great food

Dear Owner and Manager of Quay Co-op Cafe - Sullivan's Quay: