Quan Yin Chay - Masangkay St

Owned by Taoists, uses no garlic or onion. A la carte menu features many mockmeat dishes that are already cooked and displayed in case. Spacious dining room. Has take-away and frozen foods for sale. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Filipino, Chinese, Fast food, Banquet, Take-out
821 Masangkay St, Manila
Metro Manila, Philippines
02-243-3356

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by ole_ersson
totoro7
totoro7

Good value, many options.

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

I enjoyed my dinner here. While there are many mock meat dishes, I ordered rice, string beans and young jackfruit in coconut milk. Everything was quite good, and tasted fresh. The string beans had a surprising taste, because they had been cooked with bayleaf - I'll have to try that at home sometime. There seem to be other dishes available, apart from the ones displayed. Ask the staff about noodles and soups. Got a glass (not cup) of hot Chinese tea for free, which took me a while to finish, considering the hot weather. Stocked up on frozen tofu cakes (a type of soft tofu), vegetarian instant noodles, and a couple of cans of vegetarian fish. The cans were a bit expensive at PHP170-180, but the rest was very reasonably priced. I wish I had such a nice, dependable vegetarian outlet near my place.

Pros: A variety of dishes, Many vegetarian products for sale, One of few vegetarian places in Manila
Cons: Sometimes packed in the evening, Many staff don't speak much English
Macbethedge
Macbethedge

Good enough!

Posted on 03 / 10 / 2012

This place isn't the greatest, but is clean and cheap, a lot of options to choice, buffet and menu, the employees are super helpful explaining what things are and pointing was is or not vegan (chickn isn't vegan btw). Good enough!

Pros: Clean, Cheap
Cons: Hard to find, Far from the metro station
bry1408
bry1408

Lots of Variety

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2011

I was already familiar with the streets of Binondo although I love at Pasig City so I did not have trouble finding the place. I tried four dishes and they have their own unique taste with free hot tea on the side. I went there around 3PM and I was the only customer during my visit. The food was not freshly cooked so it was reheated but still it was good to eat. I also bought a mock smoked ham for home frying.

Pros: Healthy, Good price
Cons: A bit far from where I live, Need to go early for a fresher taste

loulou.lou
loulou.lou

quan yin chay

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2011

This Chinese restaurant specializes in mock meats--including "fish," tempura "shrimp," and even "shark-fin" soup! The restaurant is 100 percent vegetarian, and the majority of the dishes are vegetable- or soy-based. The food is great and inexpensive!

For more info on veg restos, visit: http://www.petaasiapacific.com/feature-VegEatingInThePhilippines.asp

Green Monster
Green Monster

Chinese food

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2010

This Chinese restaurant specializes in mock meat--it even has mock fish, mock tempura shrimp, and mock shark-fin soup! The restaurant is owned by a Taoist and is 100 percent vegetarian. There are many mock-meat dishes and the vegetables are heated throughout the day, so some may be soggy and overcooked by the time you eat it.

Pros: Most dishes are oily
Cons: Cheap
Michael Tait
Michael Tait

Cheap simple fare, good by Manila standards

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2009

I ate here on 4 occasions in May '09. Prepared dishes in bain marie all required microwave heating to be adequately warm enough for me. Each dish cost P50. No beer available, ditto chili.

Pros: ok food, cheap, clean
Cons: simple dishes, nothing freshly cooked, bit bland
erbavore
erbavore

Its OK, but don't write home about it

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2007

The restaurant is your typical "hospital cafeteria" style style of ordering. Point to the pre-made food and they give it to you. Yet first the NUKE it. It is similar to Bodhi.
The main dishes were marginal at best. Very oily. The quality of the food is also that of bulk made food. Not so good.

The food does seem more fresh than Bodhi, yet it does sit out for hours at a time before being consumed.

I would eat here again if I were in the area, but I wouldn't drive to come here.

What surprised me was the Green Jello they served. I kindly let them know that it was made up of all kinds of bones from the animals. They seemed mildly concerned about it. Lets see if they have Jello in tomorrows menu. Yet if they didn't know that Gelatin wasn't vegetarian, what else is in the food that they don't know about.
I promptly asked them about MSG. Luckily they don't use it.

Pros: price, location
Cons: fresheness, is it really veggie food, taste
ole_ersson
ole_ersson

Filipino/Chinese style "turo turo"

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2007

Visited here twice last week. Filipino style "turo turo" (literally, "point point", ie a la carte) mainly mock meat based Filipino dishes. Huge selection of dishes. Inexpensive. Spacious dining area for Chinatown. However, dishes tend to be on the oily side and high calorie. Banquet area upstairs. Many take away items like "siopao" (steamed buns) and "lumpia" (spring rolls). Bulk frozen and dried Taiwanese "meats" also for sale. Most dishes likely vegan but one frozen "meat" label mentioned whey as an ingredient.

Pros: inexpensive, filipino "turo turo"style, large selection
Cons: oily, highly calorie

Dear Owner and Manager of Quan Yin Chay - Masangkay St: