CLOSED: Quan Au Lac

Quán Âu Lạc vegetarian restaurant. SEP 2014 REPORTED NOT HERE ANYMORE. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese
No 10, 318 alley, Lang Street, Dong Da District
Hanoi, Vietnam
04-5621845

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by GREENMAN
kombajn
kombajn

A 'must go' place

5 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2009

It is quite far, but I didn't have problems finding the 'restaurant'. Lang str is a big one so everyone will know where it is. Number 318 is well marked, you just have to walk through the narrow street and find number 10. Nice and cozy family atmosphere. Food was delicious. Portion was not huge, but the price adequate. 15000 dong for a plate which cost me $15 in Tokyo...I didn't even ask about the price before. People are friendly so they won't rip you off. A+++++ place

Pros: good value, home atmosphere, great food
Cons: location
ccbloom78
ccbloom78

genuine cuisine in a shanty setting. charming.

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2008

It was quite far from my hotel which was located between the old and french quarter. i took a cab and was driven around in circles. after searching for what seemed like an hour, i was dropped off at the opening of a small alley around 8:20pm.The alley way was so dark and unlit that i had to feel my way to door number 10. the aluminum sliding door was shut to this address but i saw light shining through the slots on the door. a lady came to the door and with out any communication but hello from me, she smiled, laughed at me, and pulled me into her house. the restaurant was not a restaurant at all. it was a small homestyle kitchen in which this lady lived and has been cooking for locals and vegetarians from all over the world for the past 10 years. after getting thru a few communication barriers, she understood that i wanted vegan pho. she cooked it up in a few minutes and i chowed in amazement. tiny limes that were a few days old, but still good, accompanied my piping hot bowl of savory broth, mock beef, rice noodles and chopped scallions.i added a few squirts of lime juice and a couple heaps of chili paste and vinegar and the rest is history. about 20 minutes after my arrival, a young vietnamese couple showed up to enjoy the same fare. they were students at the local university and spoke a little english. after a difficult yet fruitful conversation, we found that we had a common interest in compassion for animals and the environment.
though i didn't see a menu and i couldn't figure out what else was available to order, the pho delivered. i would definitely recommend this place as long as you are open minded and patient. the noodle soup, a vietnamese dessert(which i didn't get to eat) wrapped in banana leaves to go ,garnishes, and 3 glasses of filtered water set me back 30,000 dong=about$2USD

Pros: authentic, excellent value, friendly/memorable
Cons: hidden location, language barrier
GREENMAN
GREENMAN

Cheapest Vegetarian Restuarant in Hanoi

5 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2008

If your in Hanoi make sure you check this one out. A small and friendly family set up, the owners been running it about 12 years. Dinner consists of rice, soup and a huge plate of assorted goodies made from tofu, wheat gluten and soya (I couldn't eat it all!). Lots of colour and an interesting and tasty balance of flavours. Its a bit far out of town to visit but if your in Hanoi make the time, if only once, and give them your support, gauranteed you'll be pleased you did!

Pros: Cheapest in Hanoi, Too much to eat
Cons: To far out of town, Small Restuarant

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Quan Au Lac: