CLOSED: Puremind Restaurant

Seving healthy vegetarian food in Kuala Lumpur. Non smoking. APR 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese

First Review by Sebastiaan
freeprincebandar
freeprincebandar

Too pricy with surprising charges

3 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2012

Restaurant seems decent enough atmosphere wise and waitstaff attentive. When you sit down you get a plate of peanuts. Surprisingly at the end they charged for this. Overall portions were small for the prices and average in quality.

Near Bukit Bintang monorail

Cons: expensive, surprise charges for things you don't or
rachelsd
rachelsd

Good quality chinese vegetarian

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2012

The food is good and the atmosphere is pleasant. We agree with the previous review that the service was a bit over-attentive. However, this doesn't detract from the excellent food. We particularly liked the Assam fish.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Cleanliness
Cons: Overattentive service
aum1101
aum1101

Nice food, nice restuarant

3 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

I visited KL recently and went to this restaurant and would definitely recommend it in terms of food. Great variety, I had the chef recommended (the items on menu with green thumb next to it) sharks fin starter which was delicious. Then for main I had some noodle stir fry which was not the best nor the worst I have had, it was tasty and did the job in terms of portion size. For dessert I tried the cake, which I didn't really like too much - was very sweet and needed perhaps some jam or something to take the edge of. It was a bit like having a cake but just with the cake and nothing else (no icing, jam etc). All in all though I was still very happy, its a nice restaurant and took me a bit of effort to get to from where I was staying (lots of cabbies kept refusing to take me because of traffic congestion on the way!) I also agree with the previous comment about the creepy waitering - it was more so as I was the only customer so every time my tea cup was empty or I finished a plate they were just there, waiting to refill or collect it which I found very weird. But all in all, the food was what I was there for and I enjoyed it.

Overall - 3.5 out of 5

Pros: good food, healthy, medium price range
Cons: creepy waiters
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

One of the best in KL

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2011

We spent a month in KL earlier in the year and stumbled on this place by accident - spotted it from the taxi and jumped out. We ended up coming here quite a bit during our stay. Just yesterday we had a stopover in KL and this was our pick for dinner, because the menu is interesting and different from the usual vegan Chinese in that it feels a bit less oily and more health minded.

This said, when we asked for no MSG the request had to go to the kitchen, which pretty much confirms that they do use it. Despite the request we still suspected it was probably already in their soy or other sauces. Not a huge dose, but some i think.

The service here is so attentive it can sometimes feel too much. They're topping up your tea the moment your cup is empty so you feel a bit 'watched'. The lighting is also quite bright and feels unnatural - not exactly relaxing. But there is still a certain sense of style and it does feel very clean so it's not unpleasant either.

We've enjoyed pretty much all the dishes we tried there and believe me, we've tried quite a few! Yesterday we particularly enjoyed a mushroom dish which saw some very meaty mushrooms being fried (shallow fried i think) with lemongrass, chili and soy sauce. slightly too oily for us (probably ok if you have more than 2 people to help finish it off though) but an amazing flavour which we can't wait to try to replicate when we get home. another thing we also enjoy here are their stir-fries and hotpots cooked in red fermented sauce. the fermentation gives it a lovely depth and aroma - every time we order it the waitress advises us not to (white people aren't supposed to enjoy fermented foods it seems! haha) and every time, we love it.

Just wish they served more fresh food. We didn't enjoy their salads, which are low on veges, high on creamy sauces. The burdock salad sounds great, as does the lotus salad, but essentially they are just lettuce with fried decorations on top, smothered in mayo-like sauce. No thanks.

Do try their soups though, they are all very good.
I want to give them around 4,5 cows but can't, so 4 it is.

Oh yes - they are a bit pricey for KL. But not obscenely so and hey, sometimes it's true that you get what you pay for.

Pros: extensive menu with interesting options, fermented sauces, all tastes good
Cons: suspect some MSG, sometimes a tad oily - ask for less oil, ambience a bit weird

samsam
samsam

clean

3 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2010

very nice place, clean, very classy. it's not very cheap, the meals are good.

Pros: good food
Sebastiaan
Sebastiaan

Nice restaurant, good food, but not cheap.

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2009

Pure mind has no doubt a higher standard than most (vegatarian) restaurants in KL. The food is defenitly more refind. It's a pity though that portions are small. It's an air conditioned restaurant with a nice interior and a relaxed atmosphere. If you just want to feel your stomach with cheap vegatarian food at a simple place you have a lot of other places in KL. But if you want to try a more elegant place with more imaginative food, try "Pure mind". Expect to pay more than elswhere, especially as portion are quite small. When you compare to Western prices it's still quite cheap. Location is central within walking distance of Time's square, The pavillion and Lot 10 shopping centres.

Pros: good choise, nice environment
Cons: not cheap, small portions

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Puremind Restaurant: