Pure Veggie House

Name in Chinese is 心齋. Large restaurant, with different spaces for seating, all nicely decorated with Buddhas and natural wood. Serving unconventional vegetarian cuisine with no added spices, MSG, or dairy products. A la carte and combination meals. Reservations suggested. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese

First Review by grieth
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

Off the scale excellent!

5 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2014

These guys really 'get it'!

Wonderful, wonderful plant based dishes.

Superbly made & highly imaginative varieties of dim-sum.

Excellent teas.

I have enjoyed many quite superb meals here - usually with large groups of friends.

......but it is best to go with at least one local person.

They speak delightful Cantonese & Mandarin / Putonghua.

They do not need to speak English - Hong Kong is a part of China.

The English website - http://www.topstandard.com.hk/pureveggiehouse/eng/home.html

evegibson1
evegibson1

Avoid this place!

2 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2014

We visited several vegetarian restaurants while in Hong Kong and this one was abysmal. The service is absolutely terrible.

We went for lunch and it took forever to attract a staff member's attention to order - once we were seated they just completely forgot about us. They said they would bring us tea which never came. We followed this up by asking for it again but the tea never came. And then they had to nerve to try to charge us for tea that we never even received. All the staff sat around a table looking at their phones and doing their best not to bother serving any of the customers. I also witnessed the staff being rude to other customers who were trying to ask a question about the menu.

The food is also very overpriced.

Pros: Nothing
Cons: Terrible service, overpriced
  • JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

I eat here almost every week. Pure Veggie House is just about Hong Kong's best vegan restaurant. Very sad to read this report.

Adaline
Adaline

Dim Sum Delight

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

When it comes to vegetarian dim sum in Hong Kong, Pure Veggie House comes up top of the list and a good place to impress friends visiting Hong Kong. Read my full review here: http://bit.ly/WKewdM

+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

disappointed

2 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

staff not friendly and not good in english. They didn't tell me and it's not written on the menu that all is to 2 to 5 people, so it was too much for me, expensive and also not tasty :-(

ashwinn
ashwinn

Awful

2 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

I walked to this place after they told me it was walking distance from Hong Kong Central Station over the phone. Turns out it was about a 20 minute walk uphill into the midlevels... a great workout, but quite a bit further than I was led to believe.

Then, I get there, sweating a bit from the urban hike. Figure my way in (don't go into the super market, take the elevator past it to the 3rd floor) and even though the restaurant was 40% full, I was turned away.

The reason: I was by myself. Their tables were 4-6 people each, and they won't seat diners who don't make their "revenue per table" needs I guess. I have been in eating in vegan/vegetarian restaurants around the world, and one of the things I love about them is warmth, hospitality and the shared bond we all share.

I felt no such warmth here... the people were cold and money grubbing. No service-orientation at all. With many places around Hong Kong, I would skip this one for sure.

Pros: Mid-levels location
Cons: Not close to mass transit, Bad Service, Money grubbers
chanmeng
chanmeng

One of the best Chinese Vegetarian restaurants

5 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2011

We went there twice on a short trip to HK. First time was dinner - innovative menu with lots to try. Too bad they were fully booked, so we couldn't try their hot pot, as it would have taken too long than the 1 hour that they could accomodate us for. Nonetheless, we really enjoyed their cantonese style porridge (all blended, with gingko) with a tofu & yam dish, and an interesting mushroom dish. My daughter loved the tofu and vegetable soup, although I would have preferred it more as a broth with no starch.

We returned for dim sum on a Tuesday, and the quality was top-notch. Favorites include the cheong fun (rice rolls) made from unpolished red rice flour, the different types of porridge, and the turnip pastry. The steamed hor-fun with preserved vegetables was interesting, but not something I would order again.

The restaurant is cold, so go prepared with a jacket. Service is passable - they left out our order of kailan.

Pros: High quality preparation, Vegan, Great variety
Cons: Aircon too strong, Wait staff may be inattentive
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Enjoyed the experience

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2011

We approached from the Botanical Garden side and had some difficulty finding the place. The restaurant was indeed colourful and the staff friendly. We went there for lunch and had Dim-sum; we picked five dishes. We also had some great fruit juice and some rather weak tea. It was unique and interesting.

Pros: Clean, Friendly, Different
sglcklch
sglcklch

Well worth the hike!

5 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2011

Have had dinner here twice. Excellent food, lovely decor, very friendly service, prices very reasonable. The location is not the most convenient; but not hard to find. Best to go there on foot, just a short hike from Central. They have a huge menu, good for big groups so you can sample as many dishes as possible. Would love to go for lunch sometime and try the dim sum too!

Pros: selections, nice decor, tasty food
Cons: location
Blue Cloud
Blue Cloud

Fine food

3 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2011

I'm glad the set menu was removed so we could order what we like. The dim sum were finely made and had a distinct look - I have had so many 'siu mai' in my life but this was very unique. But quite pricey.

Pros: Special touch to dishes
Cons: Air conditioning too cold, Pricey
grieth
grieth

Great Food, Great Place, Good Price

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2010

We had dim sum there one lunch. Very friendly, and great food. The price was very reasonable. The decor lovely and the service very friendly. Great variety of food from soups to buns to tarts, to tofu and different fried rice. Really wonderful dining experience.

Pros: food, service, price
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of Pure Veggie House: