Pure Vegetarian - Total Veg...

Food stall located in Chinatown Market Plaza next to the Adelaide Central market. Offers Taiwanese style vegan food. 3 dish choices with rice or noodle plus a glass of soy drink (hot/cold) costs approx $8. On the menu are curry puffs, vegetable curry, sweet and sour gluten, spicy eggplant, deep fried pumpkin, ribbon mock fish fillet, fried hokkien noodle, fried rice vermicelli, mapo tofu, and Southeast Asian desserts. Busy on weekdays during lunch. All vegan as of April 2012. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Taiwanese, Chinese, Fast food
Shop 8, Market Plaza Food Court, Moonta Street (Chinatown)
Adelaide, South Australia
n/a
Closed time

Mon-Thu 10:00am-4:00pm, Fri 10:00am-9:00pm, Sat 10:00am-4:00pm

First Review by happypaddock
big_saz
big_saz

Ok if you're into mock meat

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2015

I didn't particularly enjoy my lunch here. The food had been out for a while so wasn't overly warm and it was all just a bit greasy and fatty for me. If you enjoy mock meat then you might enjoy it more but it was a bit too realistic for me!

Adro84
Adro84

Cheap and cheerful!

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2014

I love that this establishment has been around for so long and has hardly changed....for the better.
Meals are cheap and very tasty. For a 3 selection dish with rice or noodles, plus a free soya bean milk, one will only pay $8.80. That's crazy cheap!
I love the curry which has long been a favourite, the eggplant is delish and the vegetarian fish covered in their peanut sauce is super special. Portions are generous and I had no issue with my meal being hot (it was perfect)!
I love the bustling atmosphere of this busy food court - highly recommend!

Ausargent
Ausargent

Vegan Value

Posted on 10 / 02 / 2014

Pure Vegetarian is an Asian style food stall within the Market Plaza Food Court, easily the most popular food court of the central markets/Chinatown. It is located near the west end of the food court. It's a busy stall in a busy food court at a busy market but you can usually find a seat without much trouble. It's clean but not attractive. No-one comes to this food court for d├ęcor.

The food is well priced, even for food court fare, and a good size. Their fake fish is very convincing but I particularly like their eggplant and their chickpea/pumpkin dishes.

The limited menu is all vegan and does not change. Apart from the hot dishes there is the soy milk and a selection of Asian entrees. There are two things that can put people off, however. One is they use no onion/garlic at all and are light on salt so the flavour profile is not quite the usual. The other is they offer free hot or cold soy milk I assume they make themselves. It tends to be polarising. Some love it and others do not. I do not enjoy it so tell them no and get a drink elsewhere.

The service is typical of food stalls. Very fast and not very connected. They will answer questions well enough.

The style here is food court stall.

This review covers many visits.

Pros: Price, Fast, Tastes good
Cons: Busy place at certain times, Limited selection

blinki
blinki

Convenient but average food

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2014

Very good value for money-a filling plate for $7-9. The food is very simple but pleasant with a decent selection. My food was a bit cold and others asked for theirs to be microwaved. Convenient location and while the food court isn't pretty, it is clean.

I wouldn't go out of my way to go here as the food isn't anything special but if I were in the area I'd go again. Useful for a quick lunch.

TransmogriBenno
TransmogriBenno

Fast, friendly, filling

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

This place is fantastic. Cheap, tasty, and good variety.
My usual is 3 choices with a (free) hot soy milk: (1) sweet and sour gluten, (2) spicy eggplant (3) spring roll with peanut sauce.
If I want the pretence of eating healthily, I'll skip #3 and get the broccoli or pumpkin instead.

There's a sago dessert which is a scary shade of bright green, but it tastes great.

It's in a food court, so obviously don't go there for a romantic candle-lit dinner ;)

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Quick
Cons: Can get very crowded and noisy
Durianrider
Durianrider

Tasty, clean, fast and budget.

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2014

I first started eating here in 2002. Still in business and still thriving. Enjoy the vegan food court dining experience.

Its pretty low sodium so your face and ankles don't puff up too much the next day if you are a sedentary person.

Pros: variety, healthy, budget
bin74
bin74

inexpensive and tasty

Posted on 12 / 22 / 2013

I was excited to see the 'all vegan' sign when I entered the food court in Chinatown. Despite the low price the food did not disappoint either. I had sweet and sour gluten, fish bites and broccoli with white rice and it was tasty and filling.

Setcarp
Setcarp

last stand in the food court at central market

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2013

I walked into the food court and made it to the last stand and found it.
I got a 3 item plate with noodles and soy milk for $8.30. They had rice or flour noodle as options. I had the curry and it was great with big pieces of potato and carrot. They had some sort of "meat" in there. I had to look at the sign again to re-assure myself it was not real meat. I also had the sweet and sour and the stir fried bean curd.
Over all it was very good, but I would like it to be a little spicier.

Pros: value
Cons: not enough spice
Britt87
Britt87

Great food, great price!

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2013

This is a really great place to grab a quick, cheap and delicious meal.

I've eaten here many times and always go back, service is prompt and the food is fresh. I would recommend the eggplant dish and the potato curry.

Pros: Great Value, Big Portions, Fast Service
Maddi
Maddi

A favourite

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2012

Love this place. For cheap quick easy delicious vegan food (and lots of it) plus a free drink (if you get the "choice of 3" option, which I always do) it cannot be beaten.

Husband & I are regular customers - after a morning of shopping in the city it's just a short walk to Central Market food court and we are often to be found working our way through a vast mound of Pure Vegan's finest produce.

Choice is by necessity limited and the menu doesn't change much but then it's so tasty and filling and cheap that I don't think they should mess with a winning formula.

Ideal for food-on-the-go.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Large protions
bearhouse5
bearhouse5

Vegan Fast Food

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

After a morning in Rundle Mall shopping this was a quick 10 minute walk (even faster if you take the tram) for a very satisfying lunch. The choice was good and the helpings extremely generous. I was very surprised, and delighted, to find a fast food outlet selling only vegan food. Convenient, tasty, quick, filling and easy to get to. I will eat there again next time we visit Adelaide.

Pros: fast, convenient, easy to get to
Cons: very crowded food court
oldboy
oldboy

Best cheapest fas food ever

Posted on 03 / 10 / 2011

Just amazing lots of choice really cheap big quantites and good and healthy need nothing more

Pros: friendly staff, Cheap, big portions
Cons: quick serve
veg.dan
veg.dan

Fast food for Vegos

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2011

Sometimes come here for a quick dinner on Friday nights at the markets. Not particularly gourmet but very generous servings and quite cheap. A number different options with the rice/noodle combo. Definitely good comfort food during those cold rainy winter nights!

Pros: Generous serves, Cheap, Nice staff
Cons: Bit greasy
Sheena92
Sheena92

Tasty and Quick

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2010

They serve a good selection of vegan food (the fried bean curd is one of my favs!) It's like fast food for vegans, cheap, quick and even pretty damn healthy.

Pros: Quick, Tasty
Cons: Sometimes slightly oily
MaitreyaBelmore
MaitreyaBelmore

Quick, tasty, satisfying, value, & unpretentious

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2010

My first time in Adelaide and I was quite impressed with Pure Vegetarian food ..... because they are quick, tasty, satisfying, value, & unpretentious. 3 choices from a good selection of 8 different dishes from the bainmarie + rice or noddle and a glass of FREE soya drink - only $7.50! Such a great value! The food is very tasty too - choose from curry vegetables, sweet & sour glutens, chilly eggplants, mapo tofu, deep fried pumpkin, vegetarian seaweed fish fillets, stir fried hokkien noodles, fried rice vermicelli, curry puffs...... Yum! Their serving is very large, too .... therefore it is very satisfying and unpretentious yummy food at the price any traveller can afford.

My favourite from this place is their CURRY PUFFS ($2.20 ea). Large serving and the filling very yummy! A MUST TRY!

Pros: Great value, Quick , Tasty
Cons: Only open Mon-Fri, does not open for dinner, same dishes everyday
bethmc
bethmc

yum

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2010

The food here is really nice, and since there is hardly any vege choices in the market food court it is very convenient. I dont believe the food is amazingly healthy, but its better than other things you can choose. Its great value and the staff and friendly. I don't like that free soy drink though, ew. But the desserts and really nice, there is one, forgot what it is called but it is like green jelly with this sweet sauce and it is very nice, but very sweet.

Pros: good food, convenient, good range of food
happypaddock
happypaddock

This place has the best food

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2009

My husband and I love to eat here - the food is absolutely delicious and so healthy, too! We went there today for lunch in fact!

Pros: excellent food, large servings, very cheap

Dear Owner and Manager of Pure Vegetarian - Total Vegetarian: