CLOSED: Pure Lotus -...

No garlic or onion. All vegan food except some juice drinks use milk. Does not take US credit cards (overseas ATM on site). Name in Chinese: 净心莲(丽都店). Reported closed to HappyCow, Sep 2014. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Gourmet, Buddhist
No.6 Jiang Tai Road, Chaoyang District (Jichang Rd)
Beijing, China 100004
+86-10-64376288

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by vice cooler
mumpsimus
mumpsimus

Very impressive but expensive

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2011

Maybe I didn't pick the right dishes but I wasn't overwhelmed by the quality of the food. The prices are a different story, by far the most expensive vegetarian restaurant you can find in Beijing. Still, this is THE place to go for vegetarian food, if you want to take out business partners, impress your date, your parents or whatever... Very calm atmosphere, the presentation of the food is impressive, staff speaks English, they are very knowledgable about their food too...
The food is really good, heard their other branch is a bit better in terms of quality though. I will definitely go again, just not on a regular basis, too expensive for that.

Pros: great atmosphere, friendly and attentive staff, good food
Cons: expensive
MDR
MDR

good food, a little pricey

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2010

Food was good, but definitely not cheap. One of the few restaurants in Beijing where you can get brown rice. Staff speaks English, and has an English menu. Sort of a "New Age" mentality with shiny gold outfits, and offering you a flower to take with you...

Pros: good food, brown rice
Cons: somewhat pricey
Powerbex
Powerbex

Wonderful Chinese Dining Experience...

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2010

After mixed reviews, I was pleasantly surprised by this Restaurant. I had a bit of difficulty finding a decent Vegan meal in Beijing, until I came here...The interior is dark and cosy, if a bit over done. Staff were very attentive, and even spoke a bit of English.
As many have mentioned, the Menu is huge and heavy! It will take you a good 15 mins to get through everything, but it is beautifully presented with special names for the dishes.
Before our food order, we were brought a dish with pickled Veg which we were told was to 'open' our palates. We ordered four dishes, which were each brought on different plates and dishes decorated with animal figures. Our place mats were made of lotus leaves and we were given large Shells to eat out of (questionable when it comes to being 'animal friendly').
The Tofu with Vegetables dish was delicious, as was the Sweet & Sour Eggplant.We also tried some Veggie wraps & Dumplings.
During the main course we were brought complementary shots of sweet Vinegar Wine, which was really good.
For dessert I tried the Banana Ice, which was creamy and tasty. At the end of our meal we were brought yet another complimentary item: Watermelon on Dry Ice.
Upon leaving, I was given a lotus flower by the hostess.
All in all, it was a spectacular meal in a very unusual but pleasant setting.
I will definitely be going back the next time I go to Beijing!
Highly Recommended.
(Prices are expensive compared to other restaurants in Beijing, but still reasonable in my opinion: 4 dishes, 1 dessert, 2 drinks = 270 RMB, along with complementary starter, drink & fruit)

earthville
earthville

Great gourmet vegan Chinese food, strange ambience

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2010

Unsurpassed vegan Chinese fare, and possibly the world's longest, heaviest menu...

Quite pricey by any city's standards, but well worth the splurge for the food and the experience. Essentially all vegan except for some of the drinks, apparently. The "Peking Duck" is fantastic. The "Happiness Rolls" are also surprisingly great (and affordable) starters. The Vajrisatva fish was typical (good but not special). Great teas too (though some of the prices are astronomical).

We liked the Changhongqiao location (the other one) much, much better than this location. YMMV, but we found the Lido location to be rather Disneylandish, loud, and cheesy, whereas the Changhongqiao location is more subdued and, for our tastes, more pleasant.

BTW, the wait staff here are most certainly not "monks" by any measure, though they wouldn't be out of place at Burning Man. ;-)

Pros: Exquisite gourmet vegan Chinese fare, HUGE menu (literally), Great variety of dishes
Cons: Very pricey, Cheesy decor
al30sh
al30sh

Pretentious & Overpriced but Good Atmosphere & Foo

3 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2009

This was by far the most expensive meal we ate in Asia (about $30 USD per person) and we didn't even eat that much. The restaurant is lovely, romantic and tucked away behind the hotel. The menu is gorgeously presented in large picture books of food. However, we thought the food was overly pretentious (they have a pot of rare tea on the menu for $150 USD) and pricey (we ordered a sweet & sour tofu that was $18, but not any better than the $2 version we ordered two days later at a more local restaurant).

Pros: Setting is quiet & romantic., Food is tasty., Menu is extensive.
Cons: Price, Pretentiousness
jasminetea
jasminetea

Everything's big - including the prices

3 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2008

This place was an experience. It's an upmarket vegetarian restaurant with monks as waiters (not sure if they were real). If you're far sighted, don't worry if you forgot your glasses because this place has the world's biggest menus. Each page is made of cardboard and it's like reading a coffee table book. For refreshments you can order many different types of tea and juices that are meant to help cure your internal ailments. The main menu has dishes with names like 'Fragrant Spicy Seasonal Mushroom Claypot', 'Ode of Tribute', 'What my mother told me on her rocking chair' and so on. Dinner itself its quite special, with delicious dumplings to start, subtle braised bean curd and a deep fried, spicy gluten dish with chilli, onion and pepper in it. I also had a hotpot type dish with a huge variety of mushrooms packed with rich yet delicate flavour. They also do a special organic rice. The staff are "enthusiastic" and attentive... they'll take your half-finished dish away and transfer it to a smaller one and each time you take the smallest sip of your tea they'll top it up. They'll also take on an obsessive-compulsive role, moving plates and bowls and chopsticks small distances just to re-align them otherwise the universe might collapse in on itself. But apart from that (and the fact it was about four times as expensive as Still Thoughts, the place had great food and it was definitely an experience). Cost of a meal for two was 300 yuan as opposed to 80 in other places.

Pros: Tasty food, Unusual surroundings
Cons: Overly-attentive staff, Overpriced
dilipbhatia
dilipbhatia

Excellent food and atmosphere

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2008

Highly recommend this restaurant, one of the best vegetarian restaurants. The atmosphere is great, good music, excellent presentation. I always take my guests in Beijing to this restaurant. There is a guy by the name of Michael who speaks decent English and can recommend some good dishes.

Pros: Decor
Cons: Price
Petesternz
Petesternz

Sadly, a bit overrated.....

3 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2008

After reading the earlier reviews, I was EXCITED about Pure Lotus. My first impressions matched theirs. Amazing decor, lovely location. Really soothed my nerves jangled from Beijing traffic. The menu selection was eclectic and interesting. Only one problem... (aside from the high - for Beijing - prices). The food was decidedly average. Not bad, mind you, but average. I had far better vegetarian food at other Beijing restos, and we tried seven different dishes. None of them were particularly interesting, and the sauces were particularly dull. Go to Still Thoughts if you want a "sensory experience" at one fifth the price....

Pros: Amazing atmosphere, beautiful, comfortable decor
Cons: Expensive, Average food
Amanda
Amanda

Amazing place

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2008

This is a great restaurant to impress people. The decor is stunning, the presentation of the food is spectacular and the wait staff are really attentive. Then there's the food, which is exquisite. The best jiaozi - Chinese dumplings - I've ever had, delicate steamed dumplings with a rich shitake mushroom filling, out of this world! Prices are a bit higher than most Beijing vegetarian restaurants but still great value and definitely worth it. No alcohol, but lots of teas, juices and alcohol-free beer. If you only go to one vegetarian restaurant in Beijing, this should be it.

Pros: Exquisite food, Amazing decor, Stunning presentation
vice cooler
vice cooler

great

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2007

i was really blown away by the odd lightning etc of the room. the food was great, some of the best overseas food i have had. the mock chicken was incredible. the menu's are huge (as in physical size). the only thing weird is the staff are constantly looking after you. even when i got up to piss they ran over to open both doors for me. i highly reccomend!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Pure Lotus - Holiday Inn: