CLOSED: Pure Food...

Vegetarian cafe serving Bajan vegan and vegetarian food for sit down or take out. Veggie foods such as soups, stews, pies, beans and rice, and lentil burgers. The cafe is close to St Mary's church. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Caribbean, Take-out
Chapel Street, Bridgetown, St. Michael (/near City Centre Mall and Trident Bank)
Barbados, Caribbean
  • Cash only

First Review by mellymel1
Gorillawar
Gorillawar

• herbivore

Worth every Caribbean penny

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2012

This joint was awesome. The two ladies, I believe their names to be Esther and I am ashamed to not remember the other, were very friendly and willing to give description of everything on the menu. They even let us sample before we chose what we wanted. They had wickedly delicious gluten steaks and these little coconut cakes that they had were excellent as well. We got quite a few things to try. The portions were substantial and the only thing I did not care for was a chickpea casserole. My mother-in-law, who is not vegetarian, loved the food so much she actually bought a little extra for herself. It was all so inexpensive that the whole family ate for something like $20 U.S.

I actually enjoyed the food so much that I ran back to the place and got a big to-go container to take back to the cruise ship. I ate it for dinner rather than eat the food offered by the cruise line. Definitely try the home made drinks. Esther even made me ginger beer on request. We were all really impressed with how clean the place was. Definitely worth a visit if you are in Barbados.

Pros: Good value, Clean, Locals eat there
Cons: Not easy to find
lemontwist
lemontwist

Vegan on Vacation

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2010

I was in Barbados for one day only on vacation so I decided to stop here with Jeff (also vegan). I'm not used to the small cafeteria style, and the dishes weren't labeled but I assumed rice and beans would be a good choice, and they certainly were delicious. Jeff opted for the gluten (seitan) and chickpeas. The drinks in the cooler seemed to be home made and we had some mango lemonade which was quite perfect. The price was also extremely reasonable at 13$ for the both of us, including the drink. If I'm ever in Barbados again I'll be back here.

Pros: great food
Cons: food isn't labeled
JamieWilliams
JamieWilliams

Filling and Pleasant

4 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2009

The food here is filling and starchy so come with an empty stomach. The portions are large and the service pleasant. Well located in Bridgetown and plenty of seating with television (normally on cricket!). Seamoss and other drinks are available.

Pros: Location, Size, Price
Cons: Starchy
mellymel1
mellymel1

A veggie & vegan heaven in fish loving Barbados!

5 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2007

Visited Pure Food Cafe at lunchtime twice at the beginning of September, had to go back a second time! Food was fantastic. All food is vegetarian and 4 options for vegans on both visits. Dishes were cooked fresh in the cafe and you can pick from the trays at the counter and take a seat and enjoy. The servers are more than happy to let you try dishes before you buy, helpful for me as I had never eaten breadfruit before! This is definately worth a visit and so reasonably priced you'd be mad not to try it. 5 stars from me. Not sure if it is open in the evening, so please check.

Pros: Friendly staff, Extremely good value, Fresh & wide variety of vegan dishes

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Pure Food Vegetarian Cafe: