Upscale New York raw and vegan restaurant (100% vegan except for one menu item which contains honey). Features main entrees, starters, desserts, and teas. Dine inside or in the garden. Their One Lucky Duck Takeaway is around the corner from the restaurant. Also a booth at Chelsea Market. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, All Raw, American, Gourmet, Wine
54 Irving Place (17th & 18th St, Midtown, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10003
212-477-1010

Mon-Sun 12:00pm-4:00pm, 5:30pm-11:00pm

First Review by kindlizard
LukasB
LukasB

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2014

Pure food and wine sets the standards hight for vegan cuisine. It was a wonderful evening and very delicious. Truly inspiring!
I will definitely come back!

Only Con, I have is basically that I wouldn't name all those vegan meals after "normal" kind meals. The guy I was there with was confused and disappointed because it always tastes different if you try to cook a vegan meal after a traditional recipe.
I think most of the time it tastes even better, but of course different. You guys don't need to name them after traditional meals, they are way better ;)

Pros: friendly staff, nice vibe, delicious
Mirja Love RAW
Mirja Love RAW
  • raw

Best restaurant in the world!!

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

Raw, Vegan, Organic Gourmet food and relaxed restaurant near Union Square. This is the place that got me into eating raw food. I came in as a vegan with no expectations and left a huge fan of raw food. I even ended up becoming a raw food chef, that is how amazed I am. I have eaten at tons of places since and no place even come close to this place.
Everything I have tried there has looked and tasted absolutely amazing (and I tried pretty much all of it!!!) but my favourite is their mediterranean salad, lasagne and the tiramisu. Aaaaaahhhh, the tiramsiu is INSANE!!!

nyctravis
nyctravis

Pure deliciousness

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2014

Amazing place with stellar food that will make anyone's mouth water. We had a wonderful dinner out in the garden with excellent service, a nice crowd, and great vibe in an upscale setting. Can't wait to go back!

JustaPack
JustaPack

Amazing Treat

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

The food here is beyond delicious. It is the kind of food that makes you happy to be alive and happy to be a vegan. The sushi and lasagna are two can't miss dishes.

Pros: Everything on the menu, Lovely wine menu, cool decor
Cons: pretty expensive
KaylaBarnes
KaylaBarnes

I love Pure Food & Wine

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2014

Pure Food and Wine is truly one of my favorite restaurants in the world, Pure is not specifically a "swanky" setting but the food is absolutely phenomenal. The raw cashew sundae is killer. Being a vegan it can be so difficult to find an amazing place, and Pure is your place. In the summer the "garden" or patio is open and the ambiance is beautiful. One of my favorite dishes are the cashew tamales.

Pros: Excellent Food, Great Garden
TraceyTrexlerJacobs
TraceyTrexlerJacobs

Great restaurant if you like raw

3 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

My husband and I are always up for trying new vegan restaurants. This one fit the bill since he is now gluten sensitive. I was very happy they accepted our reservation 1 hour in advance. We were escorted through the kitchen and seated in the back private dining room. We preferred it much more than the main since it was very loud but that could be a positive due to the lively energy. We loved the Philly Roll. Our 2nd course included Zucchini Lasagna and Polenta. The desserts sounded amazing but we were too full. I tried the sangria and I didn't prefer it to my home made recipe but hubby thought it was good. He had the gluten free beer and really enjoyed it.

Pros: vegan, gluten free , raw
Guest
Guest

Pure Food and Wine

5 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

Very nice and friendly wonderful raw food Nice to bee in New York a paradise for vegans

Isabelle Gosselin
Isabelle Gosselin

Over rated

3 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2013

Went to Pure Food for the first time on August 24, 13. We were expecting a lot given the price and the reputation. My husband and I had the Chef's tasting menu. Out of 6 different dishes, we liked two. Those were very good, but the rest lacked depth or harmony in flavors. The dessert we had between the two of us was one strawberry, a small piece of cheesecake (delicious), and 4 small scoops of different sorbets, some of them a bit too sour, like the (unsweetened) rhubarb. I don't know if it's because we're spoiled with the excellent raw restaurants we have in Toronto back home (Rawlicious and Live Food Bar), but this one left us disenchanted and emptied-wallet. Will not return.

Pros: Beautiful presentation, Outdoor seating, Bio-dynamic & organic wine
Cons: Taste not that great for many items, Very expensive, Not a good value
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

amazing raw cuisine

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

We had a late reservation with another couple and the place was still packed. Granted, it was rainy and everyone was inside, so the noise level was a bit loud as well. Other than that, everything was impressive. The service was excellent and the food was amazing. We had two orders of the hazelnut crostini, the zucchini blossoms, and the Dr. Cow cheese plate to start. All delicious, but the crostini really stands out. For entrees, we got two orders of the lasagna, the portabella mushroom and the tacos. Once again, all tasty, but the lasagna was especially lovely. For dessert, we got the cardamom spice cake with lavender ice cream. The ice cream was subtle and delicious. We were all stuffed and amazed by the raw cuisine here. Definitely a favorite of our trip.

Pros: amazing raw cuisine, good service, nice decor
Cons: loud
leslienyc
leslienyc

Overpriced and left hungry

2 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2013

I eaten at this restaurant 3 times; twice for dinner and once for lunch. Every time I have eaten here I left hungry and felt gouged. It's sad because I live on the same block and love to eat out.

I do have to commend them on their experimentation but the food does not taste good. Even the guacamole doesn't taste good. How do you mess up guacamole? I love avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro and lime.

Pros: Raw Vegan, Friendly Staff, Good for romantic date
Cons: Overpriced, Small Portions
shakes13t
shakes13t

What happened to Pure?

2 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2012

We have been to Pure several times and always loved it. The last time we went, however, the food was so bad that we left most of it behind, and we NEVER leave food behind. Our waitress (who was very attentive and as helpful as possible) suggested that maybe it was because we normally come for dinner, which is usually more intricate and refined, but it seems to me that any time of day the food should be consistent and tasty. The juice was very good. We will not be going back anytime soon. I hope this was an isolated incident, that we just came on an "off" day, but from the reaction of the staff, I'm not sure. We would have given one cow, but for a vegetarian place you can't give lower than two.

Pros: good service, delicious fresh juice
Cons: expensive, not tasty
Seakist
Seakist

Best Restaurant in NYC

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2012

I absolutely adore Pure Food & Wine. It spoils you for any other restaurant. The food is excellent and so is the service. If you want the most delicious food and to be treated like a king/queen -- go here! In the summer they have a beautiful garden to sit in too. It's wonderful that they have organic, non-filtered wines and sake.

Pros: Amazing Food, Excellent Service, Raw!
sglcklch
sglcklch

What an amazing experience

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

I took my omni BF here for dinner without telling him beforehand it's all raw because he's a raw food skeptic and I knew he wouldn't agree to it. So we arrived at the time of my reservation, had our coats checked and got seated right away. First thing, I was impressed with the decor. Very modern, great vibes, yet the lighting was dim enough to create an intimate atmosphere. Onto ordering...

My BF always lets me take care of this and I had done my fair bit of research on what to get: the tasting menu. Each of us got an amuse-bouche, a soup not on the menu, a salad, two entree items, and a dessert. Everything was half portion except for the desserts, which came in full size. From the salad course onwards we were served a different dish, great for first timers like us so we could sample more for a lot fewer bucks. I also put in a request for the lasagna, the tamale and the cheesecake, which everybody seemed to rave about.

Food was nothing but phenomenal. Out of the four entrees we received, we enjoyed the tamale and the cauliflower couscous the most. The famous lasagna was good but a bit too rich and heavy with all the nut paste despite the very flavorful pesto. Don't think I would want it in full portion. We also got the tacos, which I found to be the weakest dish. For desserts we were given the cheesecake and the apple crisp. The cheesecake was very tasty but a little too soft. The ice cream on the side was awesome. The apple crisp was definitely superior... I'm drooling just thinking about it!

The staff was very attentive without being intrusive. Throughout our meal our waiter checked on us multiple times and our glasses got topped off without even asking. Just great service.

The entire evening was truly a fantastic experience that I am going to have swooning memories of for years to come. Well worth the price, no doubt about that. My BF only commented that none of the food was hot and had absolutely no idea everything was raw until I told him after we finished and left the restaurant! Towards the end of the meal he even said that this was one of his best meals ever, ha!

Pros: superb food, excellent service, cool decor
pradipd
pradipd

What dining out is all about!

5 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

If you have not already been here, pick up the phone and make your reservations right away. This is among the top 10, if not the top 5, restaurants in NYC. The Michelin people should step down from their ivory towers and enlighten themselves on the fact that food is not about eating dead animals in French setting.

We were a group of 5, and even though we were tempted to try the tasting menu, we decided to create our own tasting menu, and ordered 5 appetizers, 4 main courses and 4 desserts, and ate family style. It was a bit of a challenge and jugglery on the table with the large sized plates, but we all wanted to make sure we tried out everything, and we did. Short of licking the plates clean with our fingers (there is no bread since there is no dairy or gluten), I can whole heartedly say each dish was finger licking good. There are not enough words to describe the awesome dining experience from the excellent pitcher of sangria to the salads to the soup to the main dishes to the desserts, along with warm and affectionate service and a very warm and intimate environment. My only regret is that we did not get to try the remaining items on the menu. Well guess what, I will back there soon. In fact Pure Food & Wine is the kind of restaurant that one wishes for one's neighborhood where I would eat at least once a week if not more often. And it is not inexpensive. For the 5 of us, with a pitcher of sangria and taxes and tip, the tab came to $320 which is steep by NYC standards for a vegetarian place. But then, good, wholesome, delicious, healthy, living food with ample doses of TLC does not come cheap.

Make a dash for it!

Pros: Creative, Healthy, Delisious
will-travel-for-food
will-travel-for-food

The most outstanding vegan meal we've ever had!

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

While in NYC, we made 5:30 PM reservations at Pure Food & Wine. Our dinner was the most delicious, 5-star dining experience we've had in over 15 years of being vegan -- and we'd never really been into raw foods. We opted for the 5-course chef's tasting menu, and it was well worth the price of $69 per person (for a special occasion). It was a great way to try all of the most popular things on the menu. We were brought out two different dishes at each course, which we shared with one other. Everything was outstanding: the quality of the food; the creative and complimentary parings of flavors and temperatures; the colors, presentation, and platings; and the pace of service. We loved each offering from the amuse-bouche (a bonus and not counted as a course) to the dessert. We also had delicious organic wine and beer with our meal. Also, we did not leave feeling over-stuffed. The portion sizes are just right so that you can fully enjoy each course, right through the dessert. We can't recommend Pure Food & Wine highly enough. The highly-skilled kitchen clearly operates as a well-oiled machine, the waitstaff were on-point, and the inside of the restaurant was beautiful. We can't wait to go back for our next special occasion in NYC.

Pros: amazing food, top-notch service, a special experience
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Best restaurant I have ever been to

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2012

Pure is my husband and my favorite #1 restaurant of ALL TIME. Seriously, it is amazing. If you are ever in New York, you HAVE TO GO.

My husband and I got the 5-course chef's tasting menu as well as the Dr. Cow's cheese plate (I really wanted to try it). What we didn't realize is that when they said 5-course they meant just five types of courses, not five dishes. We were brought plate after plate in what seemed like an endless array of tantalizing dishes, each more extraordinary than the last. It was a seriously awesome dining experience and worth every penny.

The food was amazing, and it makes it even more amazing that it was all RAW! The prices are a bit high, but for what you get I think it's definitely worth it.

Pros: Great food, Healthy food, You get your money's worth
margypargy
margypargy

Desserts!!

3 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2011

I like this place. Our second visit this month was very similar to our first (in March 2011). The menu didn't seem to have changed much. We chose the plate of 'cheeses' for a starter and the sweetcorn and cashew tamales with chilli spiced portabella for one of our mains. The other main was a bit of a mystery: when it came we couldn't remember what we'd ordered and it was so unusual that we actually couldn't recognise it! Not bad unusual, but maybe not good unusual either. Just unusual unusual. The portion size for the tamales was fine, but the other main (the unusual one) was very small and as we like to share each other's dishes this wasn't easy - we ended up with about a teaspoon each! The desserts were FANtastic - salted choc caramel tart and mexican cinnamon mousse. With hindsight we might have just come for a salad and three desserts between two! The total cost for 3 courses plus wine was $170 and I don't think we would come back for a full meal next time we come to NY, because it's expensive and the menu isn't THAT original second time around. We'll try Candle 79 next time. 7/10

Pros: Desserts!!!, Cool ambience
Cons: Expensive., Menu didn't seem that exciting this time, Bathrooms were a bit grim!
KerryAnne
KerryAnne

Love this place!

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2011

More delicious & creative than you could imagine! Plus atmosphere is great. Can bring anyone here and they will enjoy raw food. Even my anti-healthy food people liked the food. Beautiful dining experience.

Pros: raw, great dining atmosphere, delicious treat
Cons: to far from home!
bencamps
bencamps

Luxurious Restaurant

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2011

Visited on 26/06/11. We ate in the garden which was very pleasant. The food here is expensive but very, very good. This is an 'upper market' restaurant. My girlfriend had a pasta-less raw lasagna which she loved. I had courgette flowers stuffed with cashew cheese, absolutely amazing. For desert we shared a lemon 'cheesecake', again really nice. Nice wine and very professional service.

Pros: Excellent gormet food, Professional and knowlable staff, Ambiant setting
Cons: Expensive
vegified
vegified

raw-licious!

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

i came here with my family for my birthday. let me just say, wow! we were fortunate to have nice enough weather to sit outside on the patio. we were lulled into a nice state with the wine and the AMAZING food. we all tried something different and EVERYTHING was delicious. yes, it's expensive, but it's SO WORTH IT! not to mention the desserts are outstanding as well. this place is awesome. so. very. awesome. :)

Loulou
Loulou

Expensive but worth it

5 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2011

We'd heard so much about this restaurant that we had to try it, on our last evening of our Raw Food tour of New York. It is very much a fine dinning restaurant with a gourmet menu. We tried the 5 course Chef's Tasting Menu which was a great way to try the various items on the menu as they served for each course 2 different dishes. Each course is only very small but after the 5 courses (and 2 amusebouches) we where pleasantly satisfied. It's not a cheap place but well worth splashing out on.

andrea
andrea

Still hungry.

3 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

I am developing this bias against raw food. I get that it's labor intensive, but I do not want to spend over $20 on an entree that doesn't fill me up. The food was good, even though nothing on the menu really appealed to me--I got this spinach thing, sort of Spanikopita. It was fine. The thing that impressed us was the dessert, a little chocolate mousse cake and caramel drizzle and tiny scoop of ice cream. But at $15, it's even more than Candle 79's $12 desserts. Just not worth it unless you are a committed raw foodist.

Lanky
Lanky

Good, but not as great as others suggest

3 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2011

The ambiance is definitely chic... a great vibe to take someone on a date, and a nice change for the basic/ take away vibe that many veg places have.
The pre-dinner cocktail (the sun tini) was average at best, and was lacking one of the listed ingredients (the server didnt mention it, just brought it without the ingredient). Certainly wasn't worth the $15 price tag.
The salad was very good.
The mains had a definite wow factor upon first taste, however the sauces used were so rich that it was actually difficult to finish the dishes. Eg, the lasange was like eating a pig plate of pesto. Amazing-tasting pesto, but nonetheless its not easy to eat a plate of something so rich.
One of our diners was ill after the meal. Not sure from what.
The service was acceptable at best. The only really friendly person was the girl at the coat-check.

Pros: Atmosphere, Great Flavours
Cons: Service not great, Price
clashbabi
clashbabi

sexy, romantic, healthy, and cruel-free

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2009

I visit veg/raw food restaurants all over the US and this is by far my favorite.

The atmosphere is perfect for a date night or a girls-night-out. The music has always been just right. I could hang out at this place all night, every night.

If the food was expensive, we did not notice because we were indulgently enjoying in the goodness of everything else.

I do not want to recommend any one item off of their menu because I believe it is all worth trying.

JenniferF
JenniferF

To consider before you go...

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2009

I think Pure Food and Wine is good and to be experienced at least once, but I think for those looking at a review deciding whether or not to go, it's not whether or not to try it ever, but you should just ask yourself what your in the mood for at that moment. It's interesting that the raw food restaurants I've been to--Bonobo's, Pure Food and Wine, Raw Soul, Blossom, among others--are all quite different. This is like high end, gourmet raw food, and I think in the same way that "regular" gourmet can be too rich and not hit the spot when you're in the mood for something simple, Pure Food and Wine might not hit the spot if you just want a salad, or some steamed cooked veggies, or some faux meat dish. My only other thing was I don't know that I felt it was worth the price. It felt like I was paying more for the atmosphere and the cache rather than for the food.

Pros: can't get much healthier than this, tasty, outdoor garden
Cons: not a great variety, pricey
dwc840
dwc840

Jaw dropping BRILLIANT

5 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2009

Quite simply some of the best food that I have ever tasted. I really didn't think it was possible to create such an amazing menu without the use of a oven!!!

Give it a shot! You'll lose your pay cheque, but the atmosphere is second to none, the food is outstanding and it all accumulates in an utterly unforgetable evening

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Incredibly friendly staff
Cons: Price, Bug bites, Slow service
laroccochiro
laroccochiro

Loved the food at pure food and wine!!

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2009

I really enjoyed my experience here and would love to go back again. The food was excellent my wife had the Lasagna and I Had the Thai Coconut dish hmmmmmmmmm. The appetizer was the cheese dish which we loved. It all lead to the desert which was the Peach Cobbler outstanding. I love going to a restaurant that I can have a desert and I don't have to worry about whats in it.

Pros: No wheat or Dairy, Excellent food, Great water
Cons: a little pricey
magdalenarte
magdalenarte

expensive

4 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2009

The food is good, but I am not sure one really needs to spend so much money on simple and healthy food, unless of course you have lots of money to spare. I've been there with my boyfriend (only on very special occasions)and our meals cost about $170-190 (tip not included) I drink water, and we share dessert. If you have been raw a long time you will probably feel very dehydrated after eating here. On the other hand, this is the only truly gourmet raw experience you can have in NY, so every one has to try it, at least once. Oh, and if you see the owner Sarma(made famous by the millions of photos of herself in her book) you'll be dissapointed, she never smiles and looks uptight.

Pros: garden , relaxing, good location
Cons: expensive
Nelson
Nelson

out of this world!

5 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2009

Hands down, the best (gourmet) raw food restaurant I have been to -- in New York, London, Amsterdam, San Francisco (and other northern California), Los Angeles (and other southern California), Edinburgh, Chicago. Simply divine. (Of course, it's also very expensive -- but well worth the splurge to treat yourself or a loved one on a special occasion).

Make sure to have the cheese platter and the ice cream sundae!

Unfortunately, the owner -- who is also co-author of a fantastic "cook" book -- who is sometimes visible in the place, seems to be rather self-absorbed and has no sense about how to give the place a warm and inviting atmosphere.

Pros: extraordinarily delicious food, culinarily innovative, elegant
Cons: expensive, pretentious
cherylhill
cherylhill
  • raw

Best Raw Food Restaurant in NYC!

5 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2009

I love food, and I love good raw food even more. Pure Food and Wine is the best raw food restaurant I've eaten at ever to date. The tiramisu is to live for, the chocolate molten lava cake is amazing, the raviolis are Divine, the ice cream rawks...the only thing I don't like is the price.

Pros: Awesome, Divine, Amazing
Cons: Pricey
MadP
MadP
  • raw

What an AMAZING Experience!!!

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2009

We came to NY JUST to go here and were not disappointed in the least. We had all sorts of juices and sakis, we had the worlds best stuffed mushrooms (cooked or otherwise...I don't even like mushrooms and I couldn't get enough), we had an amazing beet ravioli dish, and we had an incredible apple desert and a trifecta of perfect dark chocolate encased ice cream treats. A dipped ice cream cone, an ice cream sandwich, and a creamcicle!!

The proprietor, Sarma, who wrote my favorite cook book (again, raw or otherwise) took a picture with us and chatted with us for a while. A very pretty, sweet and down to earth lady.

PLUS we sat right next to Alicia Keys, but we didn't even know it!!! The wonderful waitress, Adrian I believe, was like "Oh you guys can tell your friends you met Sarma and sat next to Alicia Keys!" We were like, what?! lol

AMAZING experience. INCREDIBLE food. If you live in NY and don't go eat here every day, you're crazy. Period.

Pros: Totally Raw Vegan, Excellent Decor & CHOCOLATE, Beautiful and Delicious Food
Cons: Expensive but WORTH it!!
Claude
Claude

Not cheap, but worth the experience

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

Regardless of whether you eat raw or not, this is quite a dining experience. The food is tasty if not plentiful, wonderfully presented and rich. There's considerable choice, the service is excellent, atmosphere relaxed and staff friendly. There's also a take-away shop around the corner to the restaurant where there are tables for you to eat if you prefer the more informal atmosphere. It is quite pricey, too, but that's New York. Certainly worth trying and don't skip the desserts. Out of this world.

Pros: healthy cuisine, excellent food, nice atmosphere
Cons: Expensive, not great food-combining
robpaterson
robpaterson

Interesting, But A Little Precious and Overpriced

4 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2008

If you're into raw food, you should try PFW at least once. It's very expensive, and you need to make reservations (or better yet, check their website, you can reserve online), particularly on a nice day or weekends.

The menu isn't huge, but the dishes are quite exotic. It's lacto-vegetarian and they use honey, but they have a few vegan dishes. When we went, they ran out of two of the main courses, unfortunately the two we wanted. The portions are small: think trendy California, model-thin servings. If you want food you can sink your teeth into, this probably isn't the place for you.

Perhaps it was just chance, but all but one of the dishes we ordered were very mushroom-heavy. We love mushrooms, so that wasn't an issue, but it was a little strange that there were so few dishes with leaves and green produce; maybe it's a seasonal thing. They used shaved truffles in one of this dishes, which was wonderful. The nut cheese appetizer is excellent as well.

As we were leaving, the hostess was very apologetic about the long wait time to be seated and that they ran out of two of the main courses. She was very friendly, as were the other staff members, so that made up for the expense and small portions. All in all, we'd probably go back one more time, but probably only if we knew someone who really wanted to try it. It won't become a regular choice for us compared to Blossom, Candle 79 or the myriad of other vegan-friendly or vegan restaurants in NYC.

If you love raw food, check it out.

Pros: Fresh Ingredients, Interesting Dishes, Friendly Staff
Cons: Very Expensive, Tiny Portions, Long Wait to be Seated
lunamagae
lunamagae

My first raw experience

4 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2008

My hubby heard about PFW on the radio and became curious about the place. Because of my vegan tendencies he decided to take me there for my birthday. Neither of us had ever gone to a raw food restaurant.

The food was good but perhaps because I had such high expectations, I was expecting better. For me the best of the night was dessert - The Classic Sundae. The ice cream was great and the nuts complimented the ice cream perfectly.

Unfortunately, I only realized at the end that the dessert prices were even higher than the first courses. PFW is very expensive, and unlike many restaurants, there really are no options for those who do not want to indulge in an expensive meal. Everything is expensive. Actually... there isn't much of a selection at all.

Overall, I liked the experience but it was not good enough that the place became a favorite of mine.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good atmosphere, Great ice cream
Cons: expensive, small selection, tables somewhat close to each other
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Don't skip if you're not into Raw

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

Raw vegan food is not something I seek out, but you HAVE TO EAT HERE just to try it once. It probably doesn't get any better than Pure. The stand out thing here is NOT the food, its the WATER!!! I kid you not. My whole group drank about a dozen glasses. I emailed Sarma and asked her what they use. Its a $6000+ Tensui Japanese Water filter. It makes the water go down like SILK. I kid you not. Just don't wait in line for the Empire State Building afterward...
The food is VERY RICH and gets over powering. The place is fun and hip and don't miss it!

Pros: tensui water!
Cons: too much flavor!
ivorygate
ivorygate

raw delight

5 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2007

Day 3 of a raw journey for my girlfriend and I had us visit the legendary Pure Food & Wine. Expensive? Yes, but most of my items were worth the price. The only thing I found outrangeous was the $13 for my soup (which was interesting, to say the least) but I wanted to try something from all three courses, and so the Butternut squash soup it was.

On the entree front, I had a corn tamale with a raw BBQ sauce that was otherworldly. My girlfriend had the Chantrelle mushroom dish which was even better than mine. The finale of the night were the desserts, me with the ice cream sundae - hands down the best raw ice cream experience I have yet to gorge myself upon. And she had the flan - not gelatin like, but tasty and just what we needed.

The atmosphere is upscale (but not stuffy) as we dressed up, but there were people in jeans, including the wait staff. Surrounded by some of the best restaurants in NYC just north of the East Village, Pure Food & Wine holds its weight with just about any of them.

The only drawback was the lack of a juicebar. Every drink had alcohol in it (sake), and only a few could be virgin. The nice part about raw restaurants is the move towards nut shakes and juice drinks. Hopefully PF&W will gravitate towards this.

In all, this restaurant remains second to Quintessence in the NYC raw restaurant scene ... but a trip well worth it if money and time permits.

Pros: atmosphere, ice cream!, presentation
DC Vegan
DC Vegan

My favorite place in New York

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2007

I am not a raw foodie, but my boyfriend and I will strive to visit Pure Food and Wine when we go to New York. I recommend getting the five-course tasting menu. It begins with a little amuse bouche, plus five small courses chosen by the chef. PFW makes delicious nut "cheeses," including a firm triangle of nut cheese as part of the amuse on our most recent visit. It appears one of their signature dishes is a delicious raw lasagna. My boyfriend was thrilled with his raw "taco." This time between the entree and dessert, we got a shot glass of a grape soda with a raw ice cream as a palate cleanser that was refreshing and delicious.

We were there for about two-and-a-half hours, but it was time (and money) well spent, and I cannot recommend this restaurant strongly enough. If you have plans for the evening, this isn't the place, but if you just want a nice, long, luxurious dinner, Pure Food and Wine is the place.

Pros: Delicous food, Excellent service, Beautiful setting
Cons: Rather expensive
kindlizard
kindlizard

Very creative

4 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2007

First off, like someone else said, if cost is an issue, just don't go here. Know upfront that for one person to relax and enjoy the food, you will likely drop a bill here. The food was great, some of it unbelievable. However, I hate cilantro and both dishes I got were heavily accented with it. It really overpowered what were otherwise terrific dishes (they didn't mention it in the descriptions). Also, if you go, make a reservation!! We called for the hours and they didn't ask us for one. When we got there, 3 people at the desk asked us if we had one. We heard them say to others (not us) that if they wanted a table they needed to be gone by x o'clock. They actually let us stay for quite a while and we didn't feel rushed at all. The wine guy did stick his nose/face in a glass of wine, not only ours but everyone's. That is a peeve. But overall, despite the cost and touch of snobbery, it was excellent and would recommend it to those who can afford to go.

Pros: Creative tasty food, quality
Cons: bartender's face in glass, overkill cilantro, cost prohibitive/ snobby

Dear Owner and Manager of Pure Food and Wine: