Lunch specials and an extensive menu. Brown rice available. No alcohol. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Asian, Take-out
100 Main St (Rte 52 & 302)
Pine Bush, New York 12566
845-744-8888

Open Tue-Thur 11am-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-11pm.

First Review by ozport
chess39121
chess39121

Refused to serve me because of Service Dog

2 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2013

I grew up in Pine Bush used to frequent Pure City quite often when I was younger, then I moved away. During the time I was away I became sick and disabled. I now require the assistance of a service dog everywhere I go. He is extremely well mannered, well groomed, and very necessary for me to be able to function independently. He has a green vest that designates him as a service dog.

Upon entering Pure City and taking my seat, the manager (a woman) scuttled into the kitchen and began yelling in Chinese. A few minutes later a young boy (presumably her son, who was also the waiter) came and asked me to tie my dog up outside. I explained calmly and rationally that I am sick and he needs to be with me at all times in case I have an "episode." He apologized and went back to talk with his mom. A few minutes later (and after more yelling from the kitchen) her older son came out with the same story; "can you please leave your dog outside, my mom is 'afraid' of dogs and this is a small restaurant." I again explained that I needed him to be with me, adding in this time that if I were in a wheelchair would they ask me to leave that outside. He returned to his mother and after still more yelling the cook (father) came out and asked me to leave. Again I explained that he is a service dog and that he and I are protected under the law and that it is illegal for them to refuse me service on the grounds of my disability. They simply replied "can you just go to another restaurant." And that is exactly what I did, deciding that I'd rather spend my money in a place I felt welcomed and rather not chance my food being spat in.

In short, they were very unfriendly and unprofessional. They also broke federal law by refusing to serve me (they wouldn't even bring me a glass of water while I waited for the person I was meeting). They are not compliant with the American Disabilities Act in the least bit (including not being wheelchair accessible). I was extremely disappointed with the discrimination I faced at a restaurant I used to frequently enjoy.

Cons: Unprofessional, Discriminatory
judyfilip
judyfilip

WOW

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2012

Outstanding and wonderful vegan with a great variety of choices. Would go out of my way, way out to eat here again.

Pros: Variety, Taste, Delicious
Cons: In the woods, too far from home
Paulsandy
Paulsandy

Fine Vegan Dining at a Great Price

5 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2012

Great place for dinner, perfect for a date. Small inside, but they didn't try to over do it by cramming in another table. Wide selection on the menu. Pretty good prices too. The most expensive dish on the menu is $16.

kokomimi
kokomimi

So yummy!!

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2010

Loved eating at this all vegan/vegetarian Chinese restaurant. It was nice to know that everything on their menu was safe to choose from without wondering if there are non-vegan ingredients sneaked inside them (With the exception of some of their desserts that include dairy). What a selection to choose from as well! The food was wonderful, tasty, and not too salty as you find at other Chinese restaurants. Definitely will go back again!

Pros: Large menu, Attentive staff, Great food
NicoleF
NicoleF

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2010

My husband and I have lived in the area for years and had no idea that a 100% vegan place was in our back yard. So we were very pleased to find out they have great food too. We definitely will be going back and brining our friends.

Pros: Great Food, Nice Staff, Great Atmosphere

aeclarke
aeclarke

Pretty Good

3 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2010

My husband and I ate here on the way back from the Woodstock Museum. It was pretty good. This was the first time I have ever eat a vegan Chinese meal. It was good and the prices were reasonable. It wasn't overly crowded for a Friday night but the staff was very friendly and nice.

amysaundersbigelow
amysaundersbigelow

Vegan Enclave

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2009

This place is fantastic. As an ENTIRELY vegan restaurant (that doesn't even use honey), it is one-of-a-kind in its area. Especially when driving across NY, it's a great place to stop along the way. They do not serve lunch specials on the weekends, which can make a bill pretty expensive. [For 2 people, we spent $50 for appetizer, entrees, and dessert. When we got just entrees, it was until $30.] Plenty of free parking is available on the street. No alcohol is served or permitted in the restaurant.

The Pure City Platter is a lovely sampler, but not very big, so overpriced for what you get. But, it is a great way to try so many of the items that sound delicious. The spare ribs in particular were excellent, as were the veggie nuggets. My experience with veggie nuggets was different than listed by another user. I thought they were like a less-tough version of seitan. The Sesame Veggie Nuggets and the Mixed Diced Vegetable in Taro were great. So was the cheesecake! (though the piece was small for the price)

Pros: everything is so tasty and vegan, variety on menu, quick service
Cons: not all that healthy, kind of expensive
tlc
tlc

Pure City in Pine Bush O.C. N.Y.

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2009

The food is prepared so amazing here,the won-ton soup is to die for,the noodles are so light and sweet and salty and savory all at the same time mmmmm....the miso bean curd soup makes me do a little happy dance,awesome pure city fried rice but I think my favorite thing on the menu is General Tso`s Veggie Nuggets!!!

Pros: very friendly staff, yummy,healthy food, nice atmosphere
Cons: cant go as often due to high prices
soysass
soysass
  • raw

Yum

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2009

I somehow managed to convince my father to go 20 minutes out of his way to treat me here, and it was worth it! The place is a vegan haven(so lovely to go to a completely vegan restaurant too!), especially in an area which is so sparse with anything remotely related to vegetable cuisine! Even omnis won't be disappointed(the only negative is that means less left-overs for you!) We had a delicious smorgasbord of food that I cannot quite remember, although the mock spare-ribs left a distinct memory because they were rather bland! (normally one of my favorite dishes too D:) They had excellent tea in neat little teacups (couldn't figure out how to drink my green tea at first and my father had actual rosebuds in his!) It's a good thing one of these places is not located by me, otherwise I'd see my savings funneling down fast! The restaurant is actually located near a tiny little health food store that you can walk to afterwords!

Pros: vegan!, healthy, good value
Truly
Truly

Pure City makes me Truly Happy!

5 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2008

I go 30 minutes out of my way often to visit this wonderful restaurant. It is run by a lovely family who are providing a great asset to the town of Pine Bush.

Some of my favorite items on the menu include:
Golden roll appetizer - a simple but delicious fake meat
Veggie nuggets - completely home-made treat consisting of a pastry shell stuffed with a tasty filling and tied up with a veggie "string" of leek (?) before lightly frying
Veggie dices
Singapore Style mee fun (a small portion but very yummy)
Curry Noodle Soup

Completely vegan and reasonably priced.

Pros: Great variety, Friendly staff, Very clean
Cons: The background music , Closed Sun/Mon
davidmartiste
davidmartiste

Fresh & Wonderful Vegan Food

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2007

The owner is wonderful and has a book of photos of most dishes if you want to see something first. We love to start with the steamed veggie dumplings. Our fave entrees are the ginger veggie nuggets, the orange flavor and the sizzling soy platter on the gourmet dishes menu... all sure to please any meat eater. As a ginger lover, their fresh slices of ginger throughout the dish is a sure pleaser. They have takes on standard chinese fare as well such as general tso and a veggie protein and broccoli which my niece loved thinking it was chicken and broccoli. The mock-meat style tastes and looks better and fresher than any meat-like fare I've had. If you have the room, top your meal off with the chocolate tofu pie which is like the best chocolate cheesecake or chocolate silk pie you've ever had. Lunches are super cheap too!

Pros: clean, healthy, great value
ozport
ozport

Vegan Heaven

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2007

We just ate at Pure City last night for the second time and it was unbelievable! So good in fact that we ordered 2 extra entrees to take home for dinner tonight!!! I highly recommend the veggie protein in orange sauce over asparagus. My DH had the Red Ocean - a kind of sweet and sour - and gave it a big thumbs up too. My only two complaints are: 1. 20 miles from my house & 2. Closed on Sundays and Mondays (my days off). I am trying to convince the manager to offer cooking lessons!

Pros: Wide variety of entrees, Vegan, vegan everywhere, Brown Rice!
Cons: Closed Sun & Mon, Small seating area, Far from home...
Guest
Guest

Some of the best vegetarian food anywhere

5 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2007

Although this restaurant is not on the beaten path, it is worth the trek. I was looking for a place to celebrate my birthday with a number of friends, who are both vegetarian and non-vegetarian. I have tried many vegetarian restaurants all over the world, and this one is unique, has fabulous food and exceptional service. Bravo to the staff, and owners who are kind, generous, and above all exceptional cooks. Also, excellent desserts... the tofu ice cream is indescribably delicious....a great time in a great place.

Dear Owner and Manager of Pure City: