Offers sandwiches, soup, salad, sweets, breakfast. Staff speak English. At 東京都港区南青山5-5-21. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Western, Japanese, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Minami-aoyama, 5-5-21, Minatoku (1st floor of AVEDA)
Tokyo, Japan
03-54662611
Closed now

Mon 8:30am-10:30pm, Wed-Sun 8:30am-10:30pm

First Review by Baza
Jessica-Chickpea
Jessica-Chickpea

Pure Cafe... purely oishii!

Posted on 11 / 07 / 2014

Pure Cafe is a favourite for me in Tokyo. We've been many times and it never disappoints. Friendly staff, fresh, delicious, healthy vegan food. More Westernized than Japanese style food. Breakfast options include tofu spread or peanut butter on toast, or amazing granola. Lunch options include sets with a drink, soup, rice and a main. Dinner at Pure is the best as there are a few 'deli' choices, or a burger or enchiladas or the vegeholic with tahini sauce which is my personal favourite.
Only a few minutes walk from Omotesando train station, exit B3. A great long walk from Harajuku station (20-25 minutes).
A must for vegans travelling Tokyo!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Non-smoking
LiaTraballero
LiaTraballero

A pure must in Tokyo

Posted on 11 / 05 / 2014

We went to Pure Cafè three times and we tried many things: from burgers to soups! Everything was delicious and healthy. It was good to taste something different from what we're used to eat in Italy. It's not an "à la carte" place, there are some "combinations", that include a soup and water.
They make breakfast and they also sell some goods (such as soy/rice milk, cookies, sauces...)
Nice atmosphere, quiet and friendly.

Pros: Quick service, Position, Staff can speak english
comarica
comarica

Tasty Muffins

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2014

We were there two or three times during our Japan stay.
I especially loved their muffins and the chai latte.
Nice comfy atmosphere.

Pros: tasty muffins and tea, english menu, atmosphere
Cons: no wifi

VickyMan
VickyMan

Like this place a lot!

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2014

Love the atmosphere and ambiance- so chilled out- can spend a long time here and just relax after walking a lot in Shibuya/Omote Sando.

The food is a bit expensive tho.. but still worth it. their spiced carrot cake was good, and so was their sandwich or burger with tempeh inside it. very very delish! however I didnt like their muffin (way too dry).

Pros: Lovely ambiance, Good food
Cons: A bit expensive
meganstickel
meganstickel

Great cafe in Tokyo

Posted on 05 / 29 / 2014

Pure Cafe was one of my favorite spots in Tokyo. Their hours are longer than most places (open early and stay open late), which is great. The food was delicious and filling, very healthy and not overdone with seasonings, sugar or fake meat, etc. I loved the granola with soy yogurt and the tofu dip and toast for breakfast! The were many options for side dishes and desserts as well. As with many places in japan, the beverages are very expensive so I usually just drank the water provided on the counter!

Pros: all vegan, English menu with pictures, open late
BrendanBrown
BrendanBrown

Great place

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

A nice place in a nice location. Really really good food. Food warranted the price. Beautiful desserts. Really tasty. A vibrant atmosphere

poopixie
poopixie

TINY expensive portions!

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2014

We ate here a couple of times for breakfast only at the start of our long stay in Tokyo, mainly chosen out of neccesity as it was the nearest vegan place to us that opened early enough for breakfast. We tried it again for dinner later on in the trip but it was so packed and only serving cakes at that time (around 5pm).
I knew from reviews it was going to be on the pricey side but wow. First time we had a muffin 'set' although it only turned out to be a muffin and a tea. We initially thought we just made a bad choice so next I had a the 'bread and salad set' and got a tiny bread roll and handful of dressed salad leaves. My husband did better with a peanut butter and banana sandwich which was more filling. I guess it's attached to Aveda and in fashionable omotesando but otherwise the prices vs portion were inexplicable. Cannot recommend

Pros: poor value for money, tiny portions
Cons: friendly staff, nice location
HappyTiger
HappyTiger

Convinient

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2014

I ate here twice. It's a little pricy, but kind of convinient because of it's location. The desserts are delicious and are available for take away. They have quite a lot of meal options and update them often enough. The place is clean and quiet, although a little crowded sometimes. It would be wise to make a reservation on the weekends.

Pros: Desserts!
Cons: Price
rommelgc
rommelgc
  • non-vegetarian

First time today

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

I just finished my breakfast. Cozy little place. Yeah small servings! Quite expensive for the size. I always thought being vegetarian is expensive and this restaurant does instill that. Food quite good though and they have vegan cakes for your sweet tooths!

Pros: good food, easy to find
Cons: price, serving
itzjac
itzjac

Great cafe :)

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2014

We ate here twice on our recent trip to Tokyo. We found it pretty easy to find and when I saw it was located next to Aveda skin and hair products I was even more excited as I love these natural products!

The cafe is nice and clean with a great ambience and lots of great take-away vegan snacks.

They serve lunch sets and we had the sandwich plate one with veggies, the other falafel - the falafel one was better. The creamy soup was delicious and we had second serves each! We also ordered the grain plate and it was really good even though just a bit too cold - could have done with heating up, or at least room temp - maybe better if you went there in summer?

Service was friendly and fast and overall was a good experience, I would recommend going if you are in the area :)

Also the whole menu is in English, and it was the only place in Japan we went where we weren't given chopsticks - only proper cutlery.

Pros: Easy to find, Food, Service
Cons: No chopsticks :(
Earthdiet
Earthdiet

Great little cafe

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2013

I had the curry lunch special and it was excellent! Hip and trendy little vegan cafe right next door to Aveda salon. Nice selection of teas, coffees and desserts as well. It was a bit smaller than what I imagined.

Pros: Delicious, Nice environment
jesse
jesse

Decent Western-style vegan cafe

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2013

Food is good. Some items too expensive - for example, a bag of granola costs 1800 yen ($18)! Small portions (there's no excuse for high prices on small portions in Japan). But good food.

Attached to Aveda - which products I LOVE.

Pros: Clean food, Attached to AVEDA
Cons: Some items Expensive, small portions
Emorp
Emorp

Easy, appetising vegan lunch

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

Came twice during my last visit - a sandwich set both times, just the right size for lunch, easy to order and an appetising array of cakes and veggie ingredients for sale too.
Another lovely Tokyo vegan location :)

Pros: Quick, Varied, Friendly
LucidDreams
LucidDreams

Vegan sweets buffet

Posted on 11 / 01 / 2011

We came to Pure to eat breakfast really but they happened to have a vegan sweets buffet that day :) First we got some soup, sallad and food muffins and then got to help our selves to the buffet table with lovely vegan sweets of different kinds. Very nice surprice! Staff was very friendly and some of them spoke a bit of english which was very helpful.

Pros: Tasty, Nice staff
Josensei
Josensei

Great Place for Lunch

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2010

We had a terrific lunch at Pure Cafe. They had great selections, including lunch sets which we had. It was so nice to know that we could choose anything on the menu and not worry about what was hiding in it. Printed menu was bilingual, blackboard menu was all English, staff happily spoke adequate English, even though we can speak Japanese.

Pros: excellent food, creative & healthy, delicious
avinnus
avinnus

Okey.

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2010

I liked the food, but the staff did'nt speak much english, and the menus was confusing. The portions was small, and it was a little bit pricy. Location, and interior of the cafe was great.

Pros: location, a place to get vegan food
Cons: confusing menus, communication, food not fantastic, but okey
Akane
Akane

Good ambiance, small portions

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2010

The ambiance was nice. We only had dessert - they were pretty good - not great - and a little overpriced.

Pros: ambiance
Cons: pricey, small portions
backpasher
backpasher

Lovely cake

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2009

I stopped here for some morning tea and tried a delightful apple crumble. A little pricey though. Nice atmosphere and right next to the Aveda shop.

Pros: Great cake
flamekat
flamekat

Nice

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2009

We went here in April 2008. It was nice, but overpriced for the tiny portions. Don't get the set dinner if you actually want a decent size dessert. My husband got exactly 3 slices of cheesecake. The slices were one inch by 1/4 inch. He paid about the same for his soup, main, "dessert" and beer, as I did for a main, starter, and normal sized dessert (tiramisu) so keep that in mind! We ended up ordering the spicy carrot cake as well. The desserts were really good, but you can get the same ones at their sister restaurant, which is much better in my opinion.

Pros: tasty, friendly staff
Cons: small portions, overpriced
bigfootone.com
bigfootone.com

a must for lunch time,,,the best

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2009

pure cafe rules,,,! its either here or cafe 8,,,,depending on which side of shibuya i am,,,it shares doors with an Aveda shop,,,
get the lunch set,,and arrive early for tandoori tofu sandwich,,comes with small soup and small salad,,and coffee or tea,,,,and then i always get another sandwich togo!!!!!

Pros: tofu sandwich!
Cons: they sell out of sandwich early
selena
selena

decent, healthy

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2008

and a good alternative to the brown rice café in the same neighborhood

Pros: friendly staff, good soup, healthy
Baza
Baza

Okay

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2007

The food`s okay but nothing special. This place was opened by the owners of `cafe eight` so I had expected more.

Pros: vegan, nice atmosphere
Cons: small portions, too trendy

Dear Owner and Manager of Pure Cafe: