CLOSED: Pure and Natural Ju...

Serves meat, veg options available. Has juices and food like falafel, veggie burger, tofu, plus soy and almond milk. Through changes in management over the years, it's reported now operated by the original owners (Nov 2014). JAN 2015 MOVING TO DIFFERENT LOCATION - please let happycow know when it-reopens! Price: Moderate more-less
Western, Juice bar, Non-veg

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by laveganguy
no whey!
no whey!

Veggie Oasis

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2013

I wish I'd found this place sooner in our stay in Puerto Rico. Given the desperate lack of options for vegans in Condado, Pure and Natural is a lifesaver. Huge menu (that indicates what's vegan), so they're frequently out of ingredients, but everything we ordered was superb. Loved the extensive juice and smoothie menu. I asked for my wrap without cheese, and the server asked if I was vegan. I'm always relieved when they can already make this differentiation at a restaurant. They were very helpful and courteous. I didn't have any waiting issues like the other reviewers.

Pros: fresh veggies, watermelon juice, knowledgable staff
Cons: out of ingredients
hungryzm
hungryzm
  • non-vegetarian

Down and unhappy

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2012

I used to like pure natural...the food is still good but the service and the people it's presented by make the aftertaste terrible. You never receive a greeting when you walk in. The owner is rude and she is usually there so I think her attitude rubs off on all the employees making them rude. The prices are high and they start adding on charges for a dab of extra mayonaise...? If it was my choice I'd never go in there again and they would get a negative 'cow' from me. 4 thumbs down. Don't go here unless you want frowns, menus tossed at you, and no please and thank yous!

Pros: Food quality
Cons: The entire establishment, employees, owner
Ethan
Ethan

Great place in Condado Beach

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2012

We were staying at La Concha and really pleased to find this place next door to our hotel. After one lunch, we were hooked and came back each of our 3 days.

I highly recommend the Falafel Salad. Instead of traditional balls, they serve it as a thin, fried cutlet serves over a bed of salad, with a hummus/tahini dip and a balsamic dressing on the side. They also serve it with candied walnuts, which made the whole thing that much more delicious.

The last day, we opted for their traditional "Teriyaki Chicken Wrap" but asked them to substitute the dead bird flesh for their tofu-based mock-meat. It seemed the throw them-- I guess they don't get many requests to change things. Still, they did it and it was a spectacular lunch wrap which held away our hunger for hours.

There is an exhaustive list of juices and smoothies, as well. All of them can be made vegan by using soymilk, though there is no alternative available for those looking to go soy free (which, thankfully, was not an issue for us!)

The hours (11-7) really restrict this place to being a lunch spot (or, an early-bird dinner joint.) The service was friendly always, and the speed of service seems to be directly proportional to the number of patrons there. It seemed on all 3 days that there is just one chef in the kitchen, so the more customers, the longer the wait. Still, the food is so healthy and delicious, it's a godsend for vegans staying in Condado beach.

Pros: On the beach, inexpensive, vegan-friendly
Cons: wait-time

aleal
aleal

vegan options

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2012

This place outlines what's vegan friendly so that's definitely a plus in a country where many veg dishes like mofongo are made with meat or fish. The veggie burger was pretty tasty, just leave out the mayo. The first day I came I asked for the soy burrito, but they didn't have soy and when I came back again a week later, they still didn't have soy so that was downer.
They could also remain open longer since they're in a tourist area (Monday-Saturday 11-7:30pm).

Pros: Vegan friendly, healthy, location
Cons: hours
organicbliss
organicbliss
  • raw

I enjoyed it...

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2007

I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and have been living in New York for about 13 years now. I always go back once or twice a year to visit family and enjoy the sun and beach... Last July we decided to stay at a hotel that happened to be nearby Pure & Natural. My husband is a private chef and is is not a vegetarian...at all, but enjoyed the selection for what it was. It definitely appeals to the more touristic crowd since it is, after all, in a prime tourist area.

As for me it was a lifesaver. I'm a raw food lover / flexitarian aka I love and explore food but 90% of my food intake is vegan. After a bad episode of bad saffron in my uncle's rice which caused me to swell up in the face, I found comfort in detoxing with a very lovely and tasty Spirulina smoothie every morning, noon and night. Couldn't get enough of it. For a raw food lover, this is heaven. The only thing about them is that you need to make sure to ask what is in the food. Not everybody has the same concept of healthy eating or what vegetarians do or do not eat. Some foods contained mayo, cream cheese, Jiffy Peanut butter (not the best brand, I prefer organic) etc so make sure to ask. Other than that, it was a lifesaver for what was available in the area.

Pros: Tasty, Familiar Foods, Friendly Staff
Cons: Some foods contain mayo, Some foods contain cream cheese, Peanut Butter used is Jiffy
pelua
pelua

Yummy!

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2007

I had heard many good things about this place so I decided to check it out. The food was excellent! I had a delicious eggplant sandwich with a glass of passion fruit juice. But I cannot rave enough about the whole wheat bread pudding, my standard has been raised. I will definitely go back! :)

laveganguy
laveganguy

nice location- nice setup- pretty ordinary fare

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2007

I was a little leary of going in. It had that 70's restaurant menu feeling.
THe food was marginally ok, the service was fine.
There are much better place in san juan if you have a car. If not, it will get you by.

Pros: nice wood, service was good
Cons: not well cared for, not vegan aware

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Pure and Natural Juice Bar: