Saint Louis vegan cafe, opened May 2011 and under current ownership since Mar 2012. Its kitchen is 100% gluten-free and uses low/no salt and oil. Offers mostly raw and some cooked food, dessert, juices, smoothies, and grab-n-go items. Free parking lot available. Also offers yoga and healthy cooking classes, cleanses, and health coaching - see website for schedule. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Raw, American, Catering, Juice bar, Take-out
307 Belt Ave (DeBaliviere neighborhood)
St Louis, Missouri 63112

CandiceandJarrod
CandiceandJarrod

The REAL DEAL!!

Posted on 11 / 05 / 2014

This little restaurant is the absolute best! The food is amazing, the energy is amazing, and everyone is super nice! May be making more trips to STL just to eat here! Completely gluten free and Vegan I thought places like existed only in my head :) Thanks PuraVegan for being so AWESOME!!

Pros: Great Food, Excellent Energy, Huge Portions
Amber Marie
Amber Marie

Wonderful!!!

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

Everything about my experience with PuraVegan has been wonderful! I began with a 5 Day Level One Cleanse and couldn't believe how amazing I felt. Monica took the time to answer any questions I had and to offer her support throughout the five days. It was so easy and everything tasted divine! I have continued with daily juices and raw meals. Change your life through good nutrition and let the staff at PuraVegan help you along your journey.

Pros: Delicious Food, Easy to Transport Meals and Drinks, Welcoming and Knowledgable Staff
luvs2EAT
luvs2EAT

Fantastic Everything!!!

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

I live in Pittsburgh and whenever I am in St. Louis I HAVE to go to PuraVegan Cafe. I am VEGAN but love to eat RAW when it is available. PuraVegan has great choices and I have found everything to be quite delicious. I have tried something different each time I have gone and have never been disappointed. The staff is very friendly and have great suggestions if you have never eaten RAW. I love it and will definitely be dropping in again when I am back in the fall. It is a small business and I love to support them.

Pros: Great RAW food, Quaint environment, Lots of choices.

alyvanheuk
alyvanheuk

Great Food, Friendly Staff!

Posted on 03 / 19 / 2014

The food is super tasty, and obviously very healthy! I've had the quesadilla, lemon cookie and chocolate peanut butter pie, and they were all awesome—especially the pie. It is seriously to die for! The staff was great also. They all seemed genuinely kind and nice. They were very friendly and helpful and made the experience even more enjoyable!

Pros: friendly staff, healthy, delicious
TesaJ
TesaJ
  • herbivore

Would Definitely Go Back!

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2014

I loved this place while staying in St. Louis. I got the kale wrap, carrot cake smoothie, and lemon cookie for dessert while my mother got the veggie burger (by far my favorite thing), chili, and a cheesecake. We both loved it all and it took me forever to talk my mother into going because she isn't even vegan. Win for me :). But not a single item we had disappointed. It's mostly raw vegan which made everything all the better. Only bad thing was limited parking and seating.

Pros: Fantastic Food, Reasonable Sizes, Mostly Raw Vegan
Cons: Limited Parking And Seating, Limited Hours
mg66
mg66

Great Raw Food

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2014

The food is excellent and creative. It is on the pricey side, which is somewhat understandable due to the time it takes to prepare raw food (I don't mean salads and fruit cups - I mean pizzas with dehydrated whole grain crusts, etc., which are well worth trying). Aside from being relatively expensive compared to other options, the ambiance and service aren't quite up to the price point. Both are a bit informal. However, the food is great and super healthy, and I recommend trying it!

Pros: Excellent, creative food
Cons: Pricey, Informal ambiance and service
jcantieri
jcantieri
  • fruitarian

great!!

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2013

Super friendly, so happy I found this place. Great raw options and the flavors are great!!! try the pad thai and the rawfredo! Great smoothies too!

Pros: Friendly, Flavorful, Great Raw Food
blueveggal
blueveggal

Fantastic Waffles

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

We flew into the St Louis airport and found Puravegan on the HappyCow app and headed straight over there. We took some of the pre-made food with us for our road trip but not before having a great breakfast!

Pros: great food, friendly staff, nice clean atmosphere
ActiveCaptain
ActiveCaptain

An excellent choice...

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2013

My wife and I cruise year round on our boat. We're usually on the east coast, Bahamas, Keys, or New England but this year we've been on the Great Lakes and are now coming down the major rivers. We're vegan onboard and try out Vegan restaurants all along our journeys.

The Mississippi River brought us to St Louis so we tried PuraVegan. It was fantastic. They have a great selection of interesting vegan dishes made to perfection. We tried a few things and all were great. The zucchini noodles were quite nice and perfectly prepared. Everything was exceedingly fresh and high quality.

All in all, it's a first class place and one of the best we've seen anywhere. It was definitely PuraJoy to be at PuraVegan.

Pros: Interesting dishes, Exceptional quality, Friendly atmosphere
Cons: Medium to higher priced (but fair)
Bedhead
Bedhead

Worth the trip just for the mousse!

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2013

PuraVegan is a little of the way for me, but I had a craving for their mousse today after work so I braved rush hour traffic even though the kitchen closes at 4:00. Not to worry -- they try to keep a good sampling of tasty raw foods in the cooler, and luck was with me! Three people in my family, and three servings of mousse left. I'd forgotten how spectacularly good the desserts are at PuraVegan! They can turn tofu (not "officially" raw, the server reminded me), bananas, and peanut butter into pure ambrosia. Never underestimate the power of the vegan chefs at PuraVegan!

Pros: Great food, open til 7:00 pm, Clean, comfortable atmosphere, Smart, friendly staff
Cons: Kitchen closes at 4:00, Shopping area is really limited
RayRoberts
RayRoberts

Great Raw/vegan food

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2013

Nice find on Happy Cow. Very nice place in a neat little neighborhood. Very good raw 'burgers' and salads and black bean soup with gluten free cornbread was really good. Smoothies good too. Nice to have some seats out on the sidewalk. Would visit again if in area.

Pros: Good, good raw and vegan offerings, Nice selection of smoothies, a little bit of outdoor seating
Cons: a bit pricey
TShane
TShane
  • raw

good time!

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2013

great raw vegan food. neat place!

MarielleLauren
MarielleLauren

Filling and Delicious!

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2013

This is probably my favorite restaurant in St. Louis. I absolutely love "noodle" dishes made from zucchini, squash, sweet potatoes, etc. and they do them to perfection! If you are interested in what type of things one eats on a raw diet, this is a great place to start. Everything is fresh, vibrant, and the portion sizes are legit! I take all my college friends here, and no one has complained yet! They also offer donation yoga and food classes.

Pros: Large portions, Comforting atmosphere, Kombucha!
Cons: Somewhat pricey, Limited hours
marla
marla

Food was great!

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2013

Portions were large, flavor was great. The banana-tahini ice cream was yummy.BBQ Cheddar pizza was good. Also had Pad Thai. It was good but maybe a little too much cilantro. I will definitely be going back next time I am in St. Louis.

Pros: Fresh food, great atmosphere, large entrees
Cons: limited hours, a little pricey
Guest
Guest

Love it!

Posted on 12 / 19 / 2012

This restaurant is amazing. Everything is fresh and delicious - I have yet to try something that I haven't loved. Keep in mind that this is a mostly Raw restaurant, so your expectations should reflect that accordingly. A few of my favorites are the Rawfredo, the Pad Thai, the Sweet Potato Pasta - and, of course, the Cobbler for dessert!

People who complain about the wait need to remember that all of the food is made fresh to order! Raw food takes time, but more importantly, it is done fresh at the time your order it. Adjust your expectations, open your mind and delight your taste buds! :-)

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, classes available
Vegitrd
Vegitrd

incredible

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2012

If you have any doubts about raw food, you need to try Purevegan. Between the 3 of us we tried 3 entrees, 2 salads, a soup and 3 desserts. They were all awesome, great flavors and filling.

Pros: variety, flavor, portions
Cons: a glass of wine would have been nice
abacus
abacus

Really great food & classes too!

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

I was traveling through St Louis and went there based on Happy Cow's ratings. The downside is that they're closed on Mondays, which was the only day I was in town. The upside is that they are closed on Monday in order to offer raw food classes!

Monica was nice enough to let me crash one of her classes. The food was delicious! It was a four-course meal, made with instruction & some class participation (this was the intro to raw, so I don't know if there's more hands-on in the advanced class.

We enjoyed a ginger carrot soup, spiral-cut zukes with marinara (my favorite the dishes!), a non-rice "fried rice", and a cacao desert ball thingie.

Not only was the food good, but she goes over basic ingredents of raw meals & a lot of suggestions on where to get those ingrediants, as well as how to handle them. There was a list of a ton of other, more advanced, classes, if any one actually lives in the area.

Oh, and did I mention the nice people? The whole class was really pleasant & welcoming. Monica let me join an already full class less than two hours before it started! And she directed me to some other local places ihould try out next tme I visit.

For any one travelling, I will warn you that my GPS seemed to take me on a tour through post-apocalyptic St Louis before getting me to the really nice neighborhood where PuraVegan is located.

The two-hour class was very reasonably priced & the menu I saw seemed pretty reasonable for raw veggies.

Pros: Raw food, Delicious, Reasonably priced for RAW vegan
Cons: The GPS is confused when finding it, Closed on Sunday & Monday for classes
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Love PuraVegan

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2012

I love this restaurant and am so happy to have a raw vegan establishment in St. Louis. The food is very flavorful, has an excellent presentation, and the service is great. I have tried the bbq cheddar pizza, the nut-free burger, a mango cheesecake, and the banana tahini ice cream. Plus, I attended a latin inspired cooking class there where the owner, Monica, prepared tacos and chia pudding that was super tasty. The class was very enjoyable, and I plan to eventually take another one.
The food is expensive, so it will only be an occasional treat for me, but I can't fault PuraVegan for this. Raw food is expensive to make, and has extensive preparation involved.
I highly suggest try this place out. Try the food, take a cooking class, or a yoga class (I haven't done this yet, but would like to). Support a raw vegan restaurant in STL!

Pros: Excellent, healthy food, Nice location, Great cooking demonstrations/classes
Cons: Pricey, Not open for lunch during the week
rawfit
rawfit
  • raw

PuraVegan

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2012

Great food and friendly staff. Cozy restaurant. My only complaint is that they are often late opening. I really like the tomato-spinach and mushroom soup. I would recommend giving this place a try. I'm new in the area and was happy to find PuraVegan.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value
Cons: often open late
  • saintlouisvegan saintlouisvegan

They now open at 4pm instead of 5pm :)

Le-An
Le-An

Nourishing

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2011

I not only loved the extensive menu and the tasty food, but I really appreciated the thoughtfulness of the owners from creative flavor combinations and artful presentation to mindfully selected organic and healthy ingredients to bringing extra food to our table to offset a side item that was unavailable during our visit. I was really inspired by my meal--nourished inside and out. I will visit PuraVegan again and again. I agree the prices seem high in relation to portion, but one must consider the expense of such high quality ingredients--many of which come from local farmers! To dine here is not just a good choice for your own body, it benefits your own community!

Pros: unique menu, all vegan, all gluten-free
Cons: prices, decor
soulestiallife
soulestiallife

Formerly Amped But Now Not So Inclined

Posted on 05 / 25 / 2011

I recently went to this new restaurant in the St. Louis area. I had heard through the healthy grapevine that a new raw/vegan spot was going to be opening up this spring. So I kept a look out for quite some time. === I'm getting to the point === I heard that the owners of Vega-Deli were opening another one in STL and that it would be even more raw focused. So I knew to look out for that but then I stumbled upon a new raw foods restaurant website (at the same address) and then that is where the confusion went bananas!!! I didn't know whether to look for PuraVegan or VegaDeli. Point being I met some friends once learning that "PuraVegan" had opened up.

I had trouble once there - there wasn't really any signage at all to indicate that that was the actual location. That is on top of the fact there was an umbrella over a table outside and then there were bushy trees hanging low in front to of part of the establish. If my GPS hadn't been yelling at me I would have given up. The ambiance, paint, and whole feel of the restaurant was great! It felt very modern in touch and just a place with nice energy. They don't have a printed menu so when you go you will have to go with what foods they will rotate each week.

Where the major challenge lies for me is the price for what little that you get. With rawfoods already being confusing/fearful for some it doesn't entice someone to try the lifestyle if their option is for a 12 dollar burger that does not come with any sort of side! I know the whole spill about you have to spend for your health but I could have used my own cookbooks to whip up a few things for far less. Case in point, the drinks that were deemed even more nutritious were almost the same cost (9 and 10 dollars) of that one burger. All in all, me and some friends spent way more money than we even have and in choosing to support a new restaurant we left with small holes in our pocket and most importantly we left hungry.

Pros: friendly staff, nice ambiance, raw food/healthy cuisine
Cons: pricey!, no online or printed menu
  • saintlouisvegan saintlouisvegan

There's a new owner now. The sign is much more noticeable now. Prices, nutritional value and portions have been adjusted on all menu items. There's also an online and printed menu available now. Peace yo.

Dear Owner and Manager of PuraVegan:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the St Louis page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/12/26