Vegetarian Thai food in Manhattan. Offers lunch specials, vegan Thai iced tea and coffee, and more. Confirmed open by happycow April 2011. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Bill K
Babette
Babette

One of the best Asian restaurants in NYC

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2014

Pukk offers affordable vegan food in a nice atmosphere. You feel you are eating high quality food that's not too greasy.

The lunch special is not to be missed.

Pros: Nice d├ęcor, Quick service, Good lunch special
A.Z.P.
A.Z.P.

Pukker Up!

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

Asian cuisine varies significantly by the country. I have often found Thai food to be somewhat sharper and more overpowering with flavors compared to the subtle Vietnamese, or even less subtle Chinese, cooking. If you like the flavors of Thai food than this restaurant will make you quite the happy diner. If your expectation is an average Chinese restaurant you will be in for a surprise.

I have eaten in Pukk 3 or 4 times now, and the food is consistently pretty good, especially if you stick to the Thai. For instance, the fresh roll appetizer with Tamarind sauce, is packed with bean thread noodles, tofu, bell pepper, carrots and more and with the sauce, it really packs a punch. On the other hand their spring rolls are under-average and contain little (besides oil) in terms of content. If you are into strong curries than I would recommend the red Duck Curry which had super tender pieces of mock duck in a powerful curry bowl with veges and pineapple beautifully contrasting the saltier sharper tastes of the curry.

The place is certainly small and can be a hassle in the evenings when it can get packed, but during the daytime, i found it to be quiet and relaxing, and I would say they made the most of their small place with a modern warm minimalist style.

Overall, what most impressed me about the Pukk is that when
I brought a meat-eater (who won't eat fake meats, tofu, or any veges except Onion and Scallion), they made a pad thai just to his request, and he liked it so much, that he has been begging meto return.

I would say my biggest complaint here is the soups, which id recommend skipping. The flavors can just be off, especially the Tom Yum soup, which is far too sour and has little impressive content.

While the seating capacity is limited and the attempts to be more pan-Asian don't always work, Pukk knows how to adroitly navigate the powerful flavors of Thai cookery to really deliver with delicate, delectable, and delicious flavors making for sumptuous meals on end.

Pros: Great flavors, Great (6.95) Lunch Special, Personalized service
Cons: Small cramped place
cavedroid
cavedroid

Very fair prices for vegetarian Thai cuisine!

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2011

I've been going to Pukk for years and love their vegan options. I'm always pleased at the quantity considering the price. I always leave satisfied... not feeling weighed down but satisfied. I have always had great service. Even when my friend accidentally knocked over our drinks they discreetly swooped in to aid all while keeping a smile and even joked with us about it. They have great soups and have recently added a few things to their mixed drinks menu.
The modern decor surprised me the first time I went but I like it. I just wish there was more room in there. I have taken meat eaters and other vegans there an everyone was equally pleased. This is one of my favorite places.

Pros: Inexpensive, Nice portion sizes, Great variety of drinks too.
Cons: small space

veggiegoth
veggiegoth

quality food

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2010

i have always had good meals at pukk. they have a good sized menu. their soups are delicious as well as several of the mains. they just need to get rid of the neon cause it's an eyesore.

cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Great, inexpensive

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

I stopped here for lunch today. The lunch special was great at $6 for soup, appetizer of your choice, and a main dish. The salad roll was delicious as was the main course (I forget what it was).

A great little place, a perfect sized portion and wonderfully priced, especially in Manhattan.

Pros: inexpensive, lots of options, lunch special
NikkieG
NikkieG

HIGHLY DISAPPOINTING-HEALTH DEPT SHOULD BE ALERTED

2 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2009

This rest.is a Thai Veg. I know Pukk for about two yrs. compared to other Veggie Rest. the place is superurb, the decor very new age (unlike others that are cheesy), prices a more than fair. Service def. depends on the waiters. One in particular is very nasty and seems he really hates his job at times can be rude. However, I must sadly say I don't go there anymore. I invited a friend as a treat and to my dismay, it had a roach! We were very discreet and asked for another plate instead. They were very rude and had the nerve to be bothered with us! Even though their food is very good. I have never returned. The place is NOT AS CLEAN AS THE REST. MAY LOOK.

Pros: nice decor, delicious food, good presentation
Cons: health hazard, rude, no refunds
markc7
markc7

Fantastic food

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2009

My favourite vegan restaurant in New York. The menu has a range of mock meat dishes, as well as regular veg options such as tofu. The food was excellent, service was good, also serves some interesting and original cocktails. The meal arrived very quickly, which is great if you're hungry but perhaps not the best when you want to take your time with a meal. Chic decor and great location in the East Village. Highly recommended.

Pros: Food was amazing, Nice decor, Good service
Cons: Portions on the small side
philjdomm
philjdomm

upperclass chinese food

3 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2008

well, when it comes to chinese food, i prefer:

malaysian-singaporean-indonesian because its considered the upperclass chinese food where it's less MSG and more exotic in dishes.
had the tofu string beans and not salty at all.

• Lanky Lanky

considered by who?
    the chinese food in the places you mentioned is basically fujian and cantonese style because thats where the majority of chinese immigrants in those areas came from. Its not considered upperclass (except maybe by you). The seafood from those areas is respected by chinese people, but the rest of the food is considered to be too sweet; bland; and devoid of spice.
    If there is any chinese food considered to be upperclass, then it would be imperial beijing style.
    The most well-respected chinese food in china is sichuan style.

and lastly, as the other responder points out.... this is a THAI restaurant!

• enRoute enRoute

Dude... drunk post much? This is a THAI restaurant. This nonsense review should be deleted.

Jleon11
Jleon11

An almost perfect balance

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2008

This is one of the best veggie restaurants in the whole city at any price range, and the fact that it is very inexpensive makes it all the more spectacular. I've tried most of the entrees, and was very pleased with all of them. The portions are big, the place is very clean, and the food comes very quickly. They also have some great imported Sake that is reasonably priced.

Some people may be put off by the modern decor, but that's really just a matter of taste. The service can also be a little quirky sometimes. Like they almost never ask if you want dessert before bringing you your check, which is a real shame because their desserts are excellent.

Anyway, I highly recommend this place.

Pros: good value, excellent food, large portions
stephanie
stephanie

Great Food, Quick Service

5 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2008

I went to Pukk for the first time this past weekend and I was amazed at how cheap, good and quick it was. I went with two non-vegetarian friends and they loved it as well. We got sat right away (on a Saturday night) and served lightening fast. All the food was wonderful but the appetizers were truly outstanding! We had three appetizers, three entrees, desert and half a carafe of wine for $60, which to me is unbeatable for dinner anywhere, but truly remarkable in NYC. I would recommend Pukk to anyone who enjoys good cheap food.

Pros: Great Food, Fast Service, Outstanding Prices
Cons: Small
nycdogswimmer
nycdogswimmer

One of my favorites

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2007

I have been to Pukk twice in the past month and both times was very impressed with the dishes I ordered. The spinach toast appetizers, mushroom puffs, and spring rolls are amazing, as are their curry dishes. I have not been overwhelmed by the desserts, but overall, this is one of my favorite rstaurants in NYC.

Pros: Fantastic food, Attentive staff, Great location
Cons: Desserts could use some work.
condekedar
condekedar

Superb desserts and mockmeats

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2007

Pukk has the best mockmeats I've ever had, be it the supple duck or the tender chicken. If you're looking to fool someone, this is the place to take them. Their Prik King Duck was delectable, and their green curry chicken, while tasty, was a bit sweet. Make sure to try their chocolate mousse pie, which was heavenly, or their sesame cheesecake, which was unusual and distinctly Asian. Prices are low and the food is excellent. Pukk is highly recommended.

Pros: Price, Service, Quality
Bill K
Bill K

weird decor, good food

4 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2005

The decor in this place is weird, to say the least, and can put a damper on your appetite. Still, if you can get past that you won't regret it. The food is very, very tasty, and much creativity goes into its preparation. Beer and wine served (the spiciness of most items would conflict with wine; stick to beer instead). Amazingly cheap prices. On the downside, the food is not organic, too many items rely on TVP (you can substitute plain old tofu for this), and many dishes contain eggs (they'll leave them out on request). On weekends it can get a bit noisy with obnoxious canned music. But all in all, Pukk is well worth the visit, and most diners are repeat customers.

Pros: tasty, well-prepared food, very friendly staff, dirt cheap prices
Cons: not organic or vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of Pukk: