Chinese name 菩提甘露坊, address 越秀区海珠北路177号光孝寺内(近汉庭酒店). Bodhi Ganlu Square. Try the durian cake. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese
177 Haizhu North Street, Yuexiu District (inside Guangxiao Temple)
Guangzhou, China
86-020-88901279

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Bob Sultan
smithintaiwan
smithintaiwan

Wonderful staff

3 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

We were in the temple anyway, so we decided to get in an early meal around 1030AM. The kitchen usually doesn't open until 11, but the friendly staff agreed to prepare something for us. The food was good, but the restaurant is a bit run down. It was nice to sit down for a while and enjoy some tea, but I think the quality of the food is a bit better at the two restaurants just outside of the temple.
Still, worth a visit if you are inside the temple, which is well worth a wander.

Bob Sultan
Bob Sultan

Popular with Local Temple Visitors

4 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2012

I had some trouble finding number 109 on Guangxiao Road. Then I saw that 109 is the number of the Guangxiao temple complex at the North end of Guangxiao Road. You will need to buy a ticket for 5RMB. Walk towards the back of the complex and walk to the right (East). You will see signs for the Restaurant and Library buildings. The restaurant is large and busy. Many local people visit the Guangxiao temple regularly and this busy, large, casual, clean, noisy place is where they socialize when they visit. If you don't speak or read Chinese, this may be a challenge. The menu does not have pictures and the large staff does not speak English. With any luck you may find a patron who speaks English and can help you; or go with a Chinese friend; or maybe just point to what someone else is eating. The menu listed a number of set meals, but you can, and probably want to, just order the dishes individually. The portions are more than ample. The dish I ordered would have fed several people. It cost about 40RMB. It contained Tofu Pi (flat tofu sheet), Muer (wood ear), mushrooms, and vegetables. Not 'gourmet', just a bunch of my favorite vegie foods cooked in a light sauce. I liked the food and the busy ambiance. And, of course, you can combine your dinner with a nice walk through the temple grounds. So, this restaurant inside the temple grounds is an alternative to Vegie Zen which lies just outside (the temple grounds).

One word of caution. There are a lot of people outside the temple, some with wrenching deformities, asking for money. No problem there, of course. However, there is a person dressed as a monk asking for rather large amounts of money to pray for a person you specify. When he sees you, he will shake your hand and not return your hand to you until you have contributed. I do not think this person is a monk and I would suggest that you avoid giving him your hand or your money. I think there are others more deserving. Just a thought.

Pros: Good food, Moderately priced, Where temple-goers eat
Cons: No English at all, No pictures on menu, Need to pay 5RMB temple fee

Dear Owner and Manager of Pu Ti Gan Lu Fang: