Re-opened July 2013 under different ownership. Chinese vegetarian yum cha and restaurant. A la carte menu available. Main entree price is around $18-20 each. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Chinese, Cantonese, Take-out

First Review by mystikiel
greatgourmet
greatgourmet

banque meals

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2014

We had a banquet meals some around early of this year. The food was very nice and services are great.

chibot
chibot

What a transformation!!

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2013

I last visited Pu Kwong in August 2013 and was not very impressed with the food and service. However, I read on their Facebook page that they had a new chef and got rid of their last manager so I thought that I might give them a go again.

I went there with my wife, our two kids and a family friend. What transpired absolutely shocked us. The waitresses were friendly and served with a smile. The new manageress would occasionally walk by and asked us how the food was. She would spend a few moments talking to us about the benefits of vegetarianism. But more importantly, the food was absolutely delicious! I've posted some pics of the dishes that we ordered. The servings were huge (we had to ask for containers to take the leftovers home) and the prices were LOWER than the past. That's right, lower!! Talk about value for money.

I have no hesitation in suggesting anyone, vegetarian or not, to try out the "new" Pu Kwong.

Pros: Great service, Huge dishes, Lower prices
bingbao88
bingbao88
  • non-vegetarian

Good Vegetarian restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2013

We went to this restaurant with our friends (three adults and three children) on last Sunday night by driving pass. We had a great vegetarian food service. All dish are good tasting and nice. We are so enjoy our time at this restaurant. My daughter love all 6 difference dishes. We are not vegetarian but start to enjoy the food from this restaurant.

Bingbao

Brisveg
Brisveg

What a service!!!

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2013

I had nice food with good price and discount. Then one customer asked the staff could make a dish (I think it's called "sweet and sour tofu?") which wasn't on the menu for him and the staff asked the chef who said will try. The staff brought the dish which looked so yummy and the customer said "it's wonder and delicious". Well, I had to try it. It was really yummy and never had the dish before. I was impressed the chef tried to cook something wasn't on the menu and never cooked the dish before, just for the customer. What a service!

Mai
Mai

New management and service

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2013

I heard the restaurant has new management and food so I went yesterday to try. Wow, it has really changed the service which was friendly and with discount price PLUS LOWER PRICE. I have to say their quality and quantity has improved a lot too!! I will definitely go back to try new food cuz the restaurant introduce some new dishes that I haven't tried before. Hope they keep the good work.

JivaAtma
JivaAtma

Distasteful service

2 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2013

We use to go to Pu Kwong but stop because the service was not so good, But the other day we were told it was under new management. So we thought we woluld try again and BOOM the service was even worse then last time!

At least the other guys tried from time to time with a hello, see you later but these guys were just plain rude. As soon as we walk in there was an uneasy vibe with stares to match. Not even a hello or welcome! we were just directed towards the table to sit! Then when we were ready to order I look at the waitress smiling nodding we are ready. But just stares walks on by more stares our menus are put away??? ok I say maybe this is a order at the desk place now no worries I go up hello! "Nothing" waitress looks down as if I am bothering her then finally you want to order! "Yes"( "should have said no thanks")

The whole experience was uncomfortable NO MORE PU KWONG FOR US Its a shame I want to support all the vegetarian Restaurants, there are not enough of them. But these guys are distastefully rude! To top that my daughter got very sick and vomited when we got home and boy was I angry and my wife and I both have bad stomach aches! Eat at your own discretion maybe if your of the same race you will be treated a bit better ! Good Luck

Pros: The food tasty
Cons: Service Was Bad , tense environment, Food made us sick
kiribagiri
kiribagiri

Terribly Disappointing!!!

2 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

We just went to Pu Kwong for lunch today. The service was dreadful. Firstly we asked for cold water and were brought a pot of hot water. Then the waitress ignored us and my husband had to go up to the counter to order.
Over the course of the next 2 hours - beginning about 1 hour after we ordered, our meal began to appear - one dish at a time. We were planning to combine the dishes and eat it as a banquet style, but this was impossible as no two dishes came out together. By the time they finished serving us it was past their closing time. While we were still eating, they came and put the bill on the table and demanded that we pay right then. The chef came out and roasted the serving girl (in Chinese) because we hadn't paid immediately. It is my understanding that you wait to finish a meal before you pay for it - we would have gladly left before 2:30pm, but they hadn't served our meal to us!!!
The wait staff could not understand or communicate in English, therefore we could not ask about any of the dishes - when they came, they were definitely not to our liking. Our "sizzle" dish for example, did not even raise a puff when she poured on the sauce.
This was definitely NOT the Pu Kwong of old. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
Also the underside of the plates where covered in sticky slime and when we asked for forks - she brought out 5 forks and 5 knives (for a party of 10) - all of the knives were dirty.
I will NOT be returning!!!

Cons: Dirty, Impossible to communicate, Terrible service
MassonTran
MassonTran
  • non-vegetarian

I Love Pu Kwong

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

I'm not a vegetarian but this is one of my favourite restaurant in South Brisbane and I come there alot. Fantastic flavours, casual atmosphere, diverse menu, great meat alternatives. Buddhas's Ho Fun stir fry is the dream.

Pros: Great tasting food, Lots on the menu, Good filling portions.
LeighW
LeighW

Pu Kwong

3 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2012

Drove past the other day and decided to give it a try. The menu was quite good and the food reasonably priced and very tasty.

Pros: Varied Menu, Reasonable value, Quiet
Cons: Not much atmosphere, Location not that great

Food not clean

2 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

I haven't been to Pu Kwong for several years now, simply because I refuse to eat there anymore, after myself, family members and friends who visited have gotten stomach upsets and strong feelings of discomfort on more than several occasions. The food was oily, and the quality of veges was sub par, and a quick look in the kitchen did not show a well maintain, clean kitchen.

The entrees, eg spring rolls, vege buns and curry puffs were good, but the mains were not...too much corn flour, and heavy use of MSG. Headaches, dry mouth, and feeling of heat were always a result of eating there. On several occasions it also went as bad as stomach upsets.

I and my family are strict Taoist vegetarian of more than 20 years, my wife is an excellent cook who used to work in the Herng Her Jai vegetarian restaurant in Sydney years ago, and our standards of food quality and cleanliness I guess are exceedingly high so it is difficult to please us.

The restaurant may have improved over the last few years, so I give it the benefit of the doubt, but I will have to be very convincingly shown this has restaurant has improved enough for me to eat there.

Oh by the way Happy Cow..."The lowest rating for a vegetarian restaurant is 2 stars" Really?

vegan mikal
vegan mikal

Get there hungry!

4 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2012

Pu Kwong has seen better days. The signage is fading and the decor inside is nothing flash. However, the food is very reasonably priced, the menu is extensive, and the servings are massive. We found the service to be better than at most other restaurants; for example, upon ordering we were asked if we wanted MSG included in our dishes. This is an uncommon courtesy.

We shared two meals and rice among three (plus a small bowl of shark fin soup) and could hardly finish the food.

Take note: the venue accepts cash only, though there is an ATM less than a minute's walk away.

Pros: serving size, price, service
Cons: drabness, old-fashioned place, cash only
Kieli
Kieli

Great restaurant!

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2011

This is my favourite vegetarian restaurant in Brisbane, great food & service! Owner very friendly and price is very reasonable :)

Pros: Good food, Reasonable price, great service
vegan77
vegan77

Awesome!

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2010

I love Pu Kwongs, it is probably the best Chinese style vegetarian place i have ever been to. It's usually filled with locals from the area, which says something about the quality of food. I recommend the 'fake chicken' dishes in particular. Try the 'chicken' with coriander or the 'chicken' with young ginger. If you are not into faux meat, there are lots of tofu style dishes too. Come hungry.

Pros: Affordable, Very good food

Mmmmm

5 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2008

We stumbled upon PuKwong 5 years ago, and frequent it every chance we get. Service is fantastic and friendly. Atmosphere relaxed. Food absolutely terrific, with a wide variety at an very affordable price. With the change of management last year came even better service and photos displayed on their menu for each dish (love it) my carnivore teenaged son grumbled rather loudly the first time we ate there, and sarcastically chose a dish called "pepper steak".. it was the best! He doesn't hesitate to join us when we dine there :-) so try it.. you won't be disappointed.

mystikiel
mystikiel

Great place

5 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2008

If you can find the place (from the city, get on Logan Road heading south, its just before a BP service station north of Underwood - if you get to the large Woolies complex in Underwood youve gone too far) - its well worth the effort. The dishes are a bit more elaborate than what you might find elsewhere, but are still reasonably priced. Pound for pound, I'd say its the best vego restaurant on the south side.

Pros: Great food, good value
Cons: Informal settings, a little out of the way

Excellent

5 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2007

The food here is great!! I really can't recommend it enough. Reasonably priced, nice staff and beautiful food! Definitely check it out!

Dear Owner and Manager of Pu Kwong: