Protein Bar - River North

Serves meat, veg options available. Chain of healthier food concept restaurant. Menu has tofu and vegan cheese, quinoa, vegetarian chili with soy protein, and non-dairy milk. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by happycowgirl
VeganSally
VeganSally

Very Filling

4 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2011

Great place to go with vegan, vegetarian or meat-eating friends. Something for everyone. Delicious burritos and I enjoyed having so many vegan options. What impressed me most was how filling it is. I've had their burritos and their bowls and I haven't been able to finish one yet. They don't skimp on portion size, that's for sure.

One more thing to mention - they don't have soft drinks. Instead they have crazy delicious raw juices. Trust me, you won't miss the Diet Coke!

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Protein Bar

3 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2011

I've eaten at both Protein Bar locations several times - this one happens to close to where I live, so even better. I appreciate the amount of vegan options they offer, as well as the fact that they have Daiya cheese. My favorite item is the vegan quinoa burrito with Daiya cheese, tasty! While PB is a great place to get lunch, I wouldn't recommend it as a destination to out-of-towners...we have some pretty fantastic vegan & vegetarian places here that shouldn't be missed (e.g. Native Foods, Chicago Diner, Karyn's, etc.).
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 14, 2011

happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Vegan Goes Mainstream

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2011

With the addition of Protein Bar to the neighborhood, vegan goes mainstream in River North. Essentially across the street from Marina Towers and just over the bridge from the Loop, this is a great location.

Most dishes are listed as "chicken or tofu" and are further customized by your choice of milk (soy, almond or dairy), choice of cheese (Daiya vegan cheese or dairy) and/or choice of yogurt (soy or Greek). I could find two menu items listed as containing beef with no vegan option. Though it is of small consolation, the chicken and beef they serve is free-range.

Straight up vegan dishes include the Vegan Bar-rito and the Green City Vegan bar-rito and the Vegan Quinoa Chili. What I like about this place is that vegan is not an afterthought. Vegan is a main part of the menu, holding it's own shoulder-to-shoulder with the chicken and dominating over the beef options. As veg*ns, we know the obvious health benefits of a veg diet. It is refreshing to see that with the help of restaurants like this, so many more people can discover it.

They do vegan catering. You can order online for lunch or dinner delivery.

Dear Owner and Manager of Protein Bar - River North: