Proper Eats Market and Cafe

Restaurant and market next to theatre, north Portland. Menu features salads, sandwiches, soup, hot plates, a kid's menu, and a deli case with raw foods and more. Uses ingredients from local farm. Also sells some fresh locally grown vegetables. Art displays, live music most nights. Has wi-fi access. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out
8638 N Lombard St (St. John's District)
Portland, Oregon 97203
503-445-2007

Open Mon-Sun 9am-10pm.

First Review by nartness
VintageVariety
VintageVariety

Gourmet food

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2012

I have to say, Proper Eats is my favorite restaurant. Nice portions, relaxed ambiance, and incredible food. I drive all the way to Proper Eats several times a month all the way from Hillsboro, and it never disappoints. I have never had a bad experience at Proper Eats from the Nachos (our favorite), the Tempeh Tacos, every special we've ever had, the cornmeal spelt blueberry pancakes, and everything else we've eaten there. This is seriously some awesome grub.

Pros: the nachos, the tempeh tacos, the cashew cheese
Cons: water needs ice, muggy dining room, not the nicest ambiance
dpuetz
dpuetz

Best food in Portland Oregon

5 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2012

I consider Proper Eats the best restaurant in Portland, 2nd to none! The food is absolutely amazing, the selection and varity is also amazing. No other place has food so healthy, great taste and delicious ... maybe in the whole world. This sounds over the top, but it is not; the food is.

My wife and I has switched to a plant based diet about a year ago since seeing the movie Forks Over Knives, and reading several books. Since then we keep a list of favorite restaurants that are compatible with plant based diet. Proper Eats consistently is outstanding.

rockcita
rockcita

great food, but interior needs work

4 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2011

This small grocery store with a cafe in the back feels like a throwback to the hippie era. The food is very tasty and the portions are generous. The prices make the fare a good bargain. There are 11 tables, which seat a total of 34 people, plus there's a small counter seating area. The wait staff is friendly and helpful, and the menu selections are plentiful. However, this restaurant sits on the edge between quaint and crusty. They need to close up for a day for a good cleaning and painting. It could be a very cozy place if spiffed up and decorated nicely; The potential is definitely there. There is one bathroom, which like the rest of the place, needs a major clean up.

Pros: welcoming staff, tasty food, good prices
Cons: needs a good clean-up

kimward8
kimward8

Healthy, Delicious, and Friendly

4 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2011

I had the vegan biscuits and gravy, which was amazing. I'm canadian, so I had never had biscuits and gravy before and was excited to try it and was not dissapointed. The gravy was a mushroom gravy and it also came with greens and fried potatoes which was great. For dessert I had a vegan chocolate chip cookie which was also really good. There was also lots of free parking nearby when I went.

Took
Took

Superb!

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2011

I've been to Proper Eats twice. Upon my first visit, I had Raw Fajitas. Pure bliss, I tell you! When I went recently, my bf ordered the NoPo Burrito (honestly the best burrito we've ever had) and I ordered the Sea Salad. Mine was just OK. It probably would have tasted great if I'd used all of the dressing, but it was incredibly oily. However, our complimentary dessert was to die for. Two date brownies with chocolate sauce drizzled over them. The consistency was flawlessly moist and the taste was perfectly rich, just as a brownie should be. I'm not exaggerating when I say this -- it was the most delicious dessert (vegan or non) that I've EVER had. Seriously :)

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
JoanC
JoanC

Exelent!

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2010

We love the foods here and they have too many good items to choose.
Highly Recommended!

Pros: Friendly service
Humanicide
Humanicide

Great Place

5 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2009

This place is great. healthy, tasty and non pretentious. The staff is unbelievably nice and courteous. We were pretty broke when we went, and didn't have enough to even share a burrito, but one of the staff let us get it anyways. On top of that, the cook misheard the order and made something else, but they gave it to us for free. So we walked in with 6 bucks and came out stuffed with leftovers. The produce looks great, and they cary tons of bulk foods and follow your heart vegan cheese. All in all, a great neighborhood place that my girlfriend and I will frequent very often.

Pros: Location (for st. johns residents), groceries, staff
RileyG
RileyG

Best meal I've had in a while

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2009

My wife and I thought the food was amazing. We had the Sea Salad and the Dip plate with the raw crackers. The Hazlenut Arugula Pesto was sooo good. For desert we had a peanut butter cookie with dollop of chocolate in the middle, and a mummy ball. We can't wait to go back and try other meals that sounded delicious.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly staff, Cozy
Cons: Can't think of any
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Great little get away

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2008

For some reason this place makes me feel like I'm camping! Its a little bit out of town, about 6 miles and its extra sleepy up there. The BBQ Tempeh Sandwich is outstanding. Everything is fresh and great. The garlic bread is just the sandwich bread, but I enjoyed it. Probably one of the healthier vegan spots in Portland. Worth the trip, its extra relaxing in that part of town.

Pros: Tempeh BBQ, Calm
alanflum
alanflum

Fantastic!!

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2008

My wife and I recently moved to the area and tried Proper Eats Cafe. This will definitely become a regular place for us. I am vegan, but I think this restaurant also has great appeal to non-vegetarians as well. The atmosphere reminds me of the cool natural food restaurants from the late 70s and early 80s. The food is absolutely fantastic and prepared with great love and care. The tempeh reuben is amazing. Highly recommended!!

Pros: great food, reasonable prices, wonderful staff
suecag
suecag

Pretty good, hold the beets

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2008

I had the South of the Border entree (basically veggie nachos) - corn chips, pinto beans, vegan cheese, veggies and salsa, topped with avocado (I held the extra salsa on top which really would have over-done it), $9. It was pretty good. With guacamole or sour cream it would have been better. It came with a side salad but the dressing wasn't very good. My girlfriend had the NoPo Burrito - tortilla with mixed veggies, salsa, pinto beans choice, rice and barley choice, topped with guacamole (with added tofu cilantro sour cream - necessary), $7. Unfortunately the burrito was stuffed with beets and she doesn't like beets. I don't like beets either. Better ask what "mixed veggies" are included before ordering. I'm sure they are seasonal and that's why it just says mixed veggies on the menu. We also had the garlic bread appetizer and it was fantastic. There is a menu online but it is slightly different: http://www.propereats.org/menu.html.

There is a grocery area at the front of the restaurant. Service was very good. There was live music which sounded great but it made it impossible to talk.

mute-Ade
mute-Ade

Their to-go container is enviro-friendly. A+

4 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2008

They got the taste just right! Attractive dishes, healthy combination, interesting and friendly staff and awesome atmosphere. It is just my taste. But like one of the reviews said they do have open mic (only one night). About the dish, peanut noodles, I loved it but it could be better if the vegetables are not overcooked and noodles are cooked with less sauce. Note to chef: try medium tofu instead of firm. Well, it's an Asian dish, maybe just needs a little Asian input, so here you go. Decent selection of organic groceries is a plus. Keep up the great work.

Pros: Healthy cuisine, good value, helpfull staff
Cons: can't think of any
Eddie
Eddie

Very interesting!

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2007

Great food. Very talented chef! Wide variety of raw dishes and there is a little market in the front with a sitting area. Not the cleanest or neatest in town, but the store/cafe has great character and is not pretentious in any way. Definately an asset to St John's. Keep up the great work!

Pros: Neat, genuine people, great raw menu, great location
Cons: needs wipeable tablecloths
scooterpdx
scooterpdx

Mixed results

3 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2007

I took my family there based on the good reviews here. The meal I had was quite good with some very interesting flavors. However, the sesame noodles were overcooked and lacked flavor. The biggest disappointment, however, was that it turned out to be open mike night. There was absolutely nowhere to sit and be able to talk while open mic was going on. Instead, my family ate quickly so that we could leave and talk somewhere else. What was supposed to be a nice family night out, turned out to be race to eat. It also did not strike me as the cleanest place as the tablecloth was felt-like. Prices were okay.

Pros: Interesting flavor combinations
Cons: Stay away on open mic if you want to eat
roar
roar

Yummy

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2007

So yeah, my birthday was Monday the 29th and at work our admin meeting is wednesdays and if there's a birthday something is brought in on wednensday for the birthday person of the week.
Well, my entire office knows I'm vegan...
Our HR person called around and found you guys and surprised me with a Pumpkin Vegan Cheesecake that, well, I probably ate way too much of but adored every bite!
Thanks for the yummy cake and also for sending it out in the baking dish that is going to be returned so as not to make wastefull products in the dumps (even though our office is very strict about recycling).
Meow!
HisssMeow

Pros: Yummy, no waste, happy
pdxyum
pdxyum

Raddest Vegan Restaurant in PDX

5 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2007

I live in St. Johns and would have been happy with ANY veggie friendly restaurant, and instead, we get the BEST restaurant in Portland. Fresh, healthy, local, organic food. Great chefs. Friendly staff. Lots of benefits for animal rights, community projects, and activists. Good music, neat first Amendment screening nights. Good beer and wine selection. Plus, a really convenient market in the front. All in all, pretty much the only place I've eaten at since they've opened. The food is just amazing - they have rad daily specials, too. The only downside is that they can get pretty busy -in the summers, no big deal because they have outside seating, but in the winter, it can be tight.

Pros: kind staff, yummy food, good ethics
nartness
nartness

Awesome food & produce

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2007

I just moved to St. Johns and discovered this amazing place filled with great food -- great people -- great music. The Tempeh Reuben, Raspberry Vinagrette salad dressing, and Arugula Pesto have awesome flavors that I have touted around town as being the best. Proper Eats has an awesome atmosphere and is definitely a place to frequent.

Pros: staff, food, atmosphere
Cons: nein

Dear Owner and Manager of Proper Eats Market and Cafe: